Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

P0171 after zzp stage 3 kit instal.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
P0171 after zzp stage 3 kit instal.

Well i was getting both the 171 code and the misfire on cylinder 1 before I got my hot engine issue fixed. Well I have my temps back to norm and now I am getting the 171 code again with no misfire code. My question is I only get this when it is i am criising and not all the time. The light didnt come on when I drove it yesterday at all and all the way to work. On the way home it came on cruising home, i hooked up the scanner and 02 looked good except on decel they go to .0000 untill I hit the gas. Car runs fine with no other codes, i check for vac leaks but didnt find any that are obvious. Saw some where that the purge solenoid can cause this. I am going to check that in am. What else should I look for that could be causeing this? I just got this code after the stage 3 kit.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
What tune do you have?
Old 09-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Received 197 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean Cummings
Well i was getting both the 171 code and the misfire on cylinder 1 before I got my hot engine issue fixed. Well I have my temps back to norm and now I am getting the 171 code again with no misfire code. My question is I only get this when it is i am criising and not all the time. The light didnt come on when I drove it yesterday at all and all the way to work. On the way home it came on cruising home, i hooked up the scanner and 02 looked good except on decel they go to .0000 untill I hit the gas. Car runs fine with no other codes, i check for vac leaks but didnt find any that are obvious. Saw some where that the purge solenoid can cause this. I am going to check that in am. What else should I look for that could be causeing this? I just got this code after the stage 3 kit.
It went to zero on decel due to fuel cut. Totally normal.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 AM

I have zzp's can tune. I replaced the 0's when I got the car with Denso's the both seem to be working right. I was just hoping some had this issue after install. Car runs great no issues. I guess I will check the normal things. If anyone has any idea's that I may have looked over
Old 09-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I have zzp's can tune. I replaced the 0's when I got the car with Denso's the both seem to be working right. I was just hoping some had this issue after install. Car runs great no issues. I guess I will check the normal things. If anyone has any idea's that I may have looked over
Are u running the stock intake or aftermarket?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
unfortunately its most likely in the tune itself. The code itself isn't anything major to worry about (unless your fuel trims are way outta wack, probably not the case with the zzp canned tune)... Its a system to lean code.

Check your long range fuel trims... i believe the CEL sets off if its something like +/- 10-15% (I'm not exactly sure honestly.)

I popped this code and was like that for a couple months because my LTFTs were a bit high during idle. My tuner tweaked a few things and I was good to go.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CobaltSS 16
unfortunately its most likely in the tune itself. The code itself isn't anything major to worry about (unless your fuel trims are way outta wack, probably not the case with the zzp canned tune)... Its a system to lean code.

Check your long range fuel trims... i believe the CEL sets off if its something like +/- 10-15% (I'm not exactly sure honestly.)

I popped this code and was like that for a couple months because my LTFTs were a bit high during idle. My tuner tweaked a few things and I was good to go.
Yup, I believe its +15 / -15% for x amount of seconds it will throw either system too rich or system too lean.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Staged07SS
Are u running the stock intake or aftermarket?
I am running the injen cold air intake, it came with car. Drove it to work 35 min no light, but bet on way home when air is cooler it will come on again. Beat my first Rustang on way to work also... Lol
Old 09-23-2015, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I am running the injen cold air intake, it came with car. Drove it to work 35 min no light, but bet on way home when air is cooler it will come on again. Beat my first Rustang on way to work also... Lol
Do yourself a favor.... Pick up a stock intake & airbox.

I tested an injen intake a few years ago. It actually flows less than stock, but the issue is the MAF sensor placement. When you change that, you can end up throwing codes.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:19 AM

Do yourself a favor.... Pick up a stock intake & airbox.

I tested an injen intake a few years ago. It actually flows less than stock, but the issue is the MAF sensor placement. When you change that, you can end up throwing codes.
The thing that is my question why would this have a code now when I didnt prior to tune and install? You are basically saying this air intake is worse then the factory?
Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
The thing that is my question why would this have a code now when I didnt prior to tune and install? You are basically saying this air intake is worse then the factory?
That is exactly what he's saying.

And the difference pre/post tune has everything to do with it, did you tell zzp you were running the injen?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:08 AM

Yes I did tell them what intake was on car. That is why I am confused why the light would come on after tune when it was put on order form. I dont have the factory air box.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Yes I did tell them what intake was on car. That is why I am confused why the light would come on after tune when it was put on order form. I dont have the factory air box.
Pick one up when you can get a chance. I run the factory intake on my car, and it supports 300+ hp.

Log your fuel trims for me and let me know what they read.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Did you make sure a connection hasn't come loose on the intake?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Pick one up when you can get a chance. I run the factory intake on my car, and it supports 300+ hp.

Log your fuel trims for me and let me know what they read.
I dont have anyway to log, but the light came back on this morning, stayed off yesterday. I did look at the LT and it would go -3.8 then back to 3.8 and of course it changed every few mins. I will see if my buddy that has HP tuners can log it for me. Does anyone know if it costs to do a log with HP tuners. He said he would buy the license but it cost two credits and he is just starting to play with his tune for his Camaro so not real comfy with paying for it when we bot have no clue. So you are thinking since it is a randome code that it is from the air intake
Old 09-23-2015, 09:50 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

I dont have anyway to log, but the light came back on this morning, stayed off yesterday. I did look at the LT and it would go -3.8 then back to 3.8 and of course it changed every few mins. I will see if my buddy that has HP tuners can log it for me. Does anyone know if it costs to do a log with HP tuners. He said he would buy the license but it cost two credits and he is just starting to play with his tune for his Camaro so not real comfy with paying for it when we bot have no clue. So you are thinking since it is a randome code that it is from the air intake
Hard to say... if you just installed the intake and it caused the code, then I would say yes, its the intake, but since it is a canned tune from ZZP it could be within the tune parameters they set.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:54 AM

To log it, you won't have to pay. You'll just have to setup the config file for the LSJ.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 AM

Tonight i had my scanner hooked up waiting for the light to come on and was looking at my o2's and map sensor and tps and all was looking for out of the norm things. Well my fuel system would go from closed to open on decel, i thought that was kinda strange. What should my map and mass be reading at cruise? I plan on getting a data log of it this weekend is there anyone that can look at it for me to see if the tune looks right. Timing seems to be @ 30 at cruise and 25ish on acceleration. Just a few things I was noticing on my drive home.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:31 AM

What you need to look at is LTFT, STFT, MAF freq, MAF lb/mins, and VE lb/min at least if you're wanting to figure out why you pop that code. Granted you'll really want to log a wideband if you can to compare how far off the tables are for WOT or anytime throttle command puts you in the PE (power enrich) table.
The following users liked this post:
Staged07SS (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Platinum Member

Tonight i had my scanner hooked up waiting for the light to come on and was looking at my o2's and map sensor and tps and all was looking for out of the norm things. Well my fuel system would go from closed to open on decel, i thought that was kinda strange. What should my map and mass be reading at cruise? I plan on getting a data log of it this weekend is there anyone that can look at it for me to see if the tune looks right. Timing seems to be @ 30 at cruise and 25ish on acceleration. Just a few things I was noticing on my drive home.
25 degrees timing advance at WOT is high for a 93 tune. Was that 25 degrees up top?

Your o2 going from closed to open is fine. On decel our cars cut the fuel.

Def get a wideband & some data logging software.... Either and interceptor gauge or HPT.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM

25 degrees timing advance at WOT is high for a 93 tune. Was that 25 degrees up top?

Your o2 going from closed to open is fine. On decel our cars cut the fuel.

Def get a wideband & some data logging software.... Either and interceptor gauge or HPT.
that scanner is definitely off. no way he is hitting that amount of timing with pump gas on a canned tune. that e85 custom tune territory
Old 09-25-2015, 09:36 PM

that scanner is definitely off. no way he is hitting that amount of timing with pump gas on a canned tune. that e85 custom tune territory
It was 30 at cruise. I plan on getting a data log this weekend, can anyone look at it and my tune. My buddy messes with Camaro's and has no clue on the lsj's 26 degrees at beginning full throttle didnt go ***** out. I dont have the extra cash for the wide band or Hp tuners. Getting ready to go to FL on vacation in a week or so. I wasn't expecting these issues
Old 09-26-2015, 05:03 PM

I was looking at my LTF and short term and my long term sits @ 16-18% when the light came in. Short term was @ -3.8 to -6.8 didn't notice mass or map. This will come on after about 30 min of driving. I have looked for vacuum leaks and can't find any. Do you think it maybe the tune? I have no there driving issues at all. Runs well no knocking or detention that I can hear. Has new o2's and cat. 02's are reading 760's constant when at cruise. And timing is @ 16 at full throttle and 30-35 @ cruise. I am thinking it is the tune.

Last edited by Sean Cummings; 09-26-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Copied a text I sent a buddy
Old 09-26-2015, 05:45 PM

that makes more sense. Honestly the code isn't a huge deal, but its on because of the LTFTs. Get a custom tune if you want it off. you can try the factory intake, but no promises it'll turn off.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:23 PM

that makes more sense. Honestly the code isn't a huge deal, but its on because of the LTFTs. Get a custom tune if you want it off. you can try the factory intake, but no promises it'll turn off.
Well getting a tune from ZZP I would hope not to have a code at all!!! This was supose to be a package ready to go, well now I have an engine light due to a tune and have to spend 500.00 more to get it right! Not real impressed

Quick Reply: P0171 after zzp stage 3 kit instal.