Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Front headlight issue or harness issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Front headlight issue or harness issue

So I'm looking at getting a new winter vehicle for a good price, I have already checked it over briefly and it seems like it was well taken care of and just an all around good deal.

Anyways the owner has told me about an issue he has tried to fix, But with his minimal car knowledge he gave up and just bought a new car, This is why I am getting a good price.

I haven't picked up the car yet I do that on monday, But I thought I would post on here to see if anyone has experienced this or if I am leaning in the right direction to at least fix it.

So the car issue is this - When you start the car and turn on the headlights with the switch both foglights and signal lights come, But the passenger side headlight won't come on.

When he turns on the high beams, The passenger headlight lights up now but the driver side goes out.

When he hits the fog light button both headlights come on but are very dim, Both signals light up, But the passenger foglight goes out and the passenger side signal won't signal it just stays lite.

^^This is all I have so far for info and it is a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit,Auto, 4 door model.

He said he changed the headlights fixture and bulbs, checked all the fuses and installed a new battery.

When I did a search, I have come to narrow it down to a fuse box or headlight harness issue, Or possibly a ground issue.....I am really thinking its the fuse box but we will see.

I have a parts car but it is a 09 ss turbo model, I really don't see why I couldn't use the headlight harness from it, But if someone does know I can or can't use it please let me know!

Lastly I have read the 05 has a fuse box with relays built into it that aren't serviceable and blah blah, Anyways Knowing this I can't use the fuse box from my turbo model right ? It has to be from an 05-07 model ?

Sorry for the long read.

Last edited by T-fog; 12-25-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like some wires got mixed up or something. I wouldn't think it would be a ground tho. You said he messed around with it so its a possibility. Do you have a voltage meter?

I have no clue about the fuse box. I would think it would be OK but then again there are a lot of little difference between an 05/06 model and 07+
Old 12-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
he put the fixtures in after the problem your having or before? sounds like it's the wiring.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:55 PM

cobaltss#1 - I would say after, He made it sound like he did all that work to fix it after the fact. I don't know why he thought a battery would help, But I get a new battery when I pick it up lol

Atombomb- I didn't think it is a ground either, But I might clean it to avoid future problems, I have a meter and will being doing testing right away to avoid wasting money. I am leaning towards wiring, But I read some strange issues from the fuse box.

I forgot to mention that when you turn on the foglights to get both headlights to light up, They are both very dim a side from all other problems when turning on the fogs.

Thanks guys for the quick responses!
Old 12-29-2015, 11:30 PM

I finally got time to look/work on the car and as soon as I popped the hood I spotted the problem.

The ground that is right beside the wiper fluid container/cap, Was broken. So I threw on a new connector and heat shrunk it...vuala all lights working as they should.

So if anyone is having the problem I mentioned above, I would start with the ground I mentioned above.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
glad you found it.