Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Fuel Pump Dealer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Pump Dealer Issue

Hey all,

So I've got my 06 Cobalt SS/NA up at the dealer right now. They've confirmed my fuel leak is covered under the 12191B Bulletin. Now for the kicker, they are trying to get me to pay for a $150 part to complete the repair. Apparently it's the harness that plugs into the module? Tech says it gets soaked in gas, expands, then won't go back together right, and I will still have a leak. Said this is their guy for the special coverage problem and he's never been able to get it back together right.

I was a mechanic for a number of years, and now do R&D for OEMs, and have never in my life encountered a fuel pump that has a seal for the body harness that goes to the fuel pump. I've dropped a cobalt tank once or twice as well and can't remember this harness, but it was a few years ago. Are they saying it might be develop into an EVAP leak or an actual fuel leak? If anyone could post pictures of the top of the fuel pump module or this connection, I would appreciate it.

The second part. Apparently my fuel tank is on national back order and they don't know when I'll see my car again. I asked if a loaner was possible and they said it's only for warranty repairs. I remember being offered a loaner for the ignition switch fiasco, but not this time? I've got a company car for the time being, but I'm not sure how long this will last, and I need my car since it's my daily.

I've called the GM number you get with the bulletin, and they are escalating it to their seniors, but it will be a few days before they get back to me. Would I be better off just taking my car across town to another dealer? I haven't seen any accounts of people being charged for this part with the repair. Just the bulletin parts and they're done.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:24 AM

Received 361 Likes on 308 Posts
Under that special coverage any good dealer/tech(I am a tech at a gm dealer) would replace that connector without charging you if the seal swelled from fuel. I also don't see how it could cause a evap or fuel leak. Also we would provide a loaner due to the vehicle being unsafe to drive atm. Doesn't sound like you got a very honest place there imo
Old 05-31-2018, 10:30 AM

The only part about that repair that wouldn't be covered is if the steel line is corroded and leaking btw. Have seen that and there isn't anything we can do about corrosion unfortunately
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I found out today that the part they want me to buy is in fact the harness that rests on top of the fuel tank and connects to the fuel pump. Obviously this will never leak gas unless the fuel pump has failed structurally.

The General Sales Manager called me today and is pissed about how I've treated this situation. Contacted BBB, FTC Consumer Protection, Corporate GM, and have left an unsavory review on Google. He refused to fulfill my GM warranty and forced me to tow it to another shop across town, who has been more than willing to take the work.

He claimed I was being unreasonable, and nothing will make me happy. All I wanted was my bulletin service free of charge, and a loaner while we waited for backordered parts. Not that much, but I guess this is how it goes.

Thanks for your help, glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this is absurd. I'll tell you all what Corporate tells me tomorrow when they call.
The following users liked this post:
Kolt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 09:24 AM

Unless you started with a bad attitude (which I doubt) you had the right to good service and a loaner. It sucks bc places like that cause people to give me bad looks when I tell them I work at a dealer. I hope you get things sorted and the other shop give you the best turn around possible. Unfortunately when parts are national backorder its a guessing game.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:06 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolt
Unless you started with a bad attitude (which I doubt) you had the right to good service and a loaner. It sucks bc places like that cause people to give me bad looks when I tell them I work at a dealer. I hope you get things sorted and the other shop give you the best turn around possible. Unfortunately when parts are national backorder its a guessing game.
That's assuming they're actually on national back order (unless you looked it up)
Old 06-01-2018, 10:14 AM

Last time one of these came in the shop (monthish ago) it was. Didn't personally check atm but it would be expected. The past year ive seen multiple spc parts go on national backorder. Right now I have a evaporator and hvac seal kit on national backorder for a 15 impala... Still don't know when its coming. There would be no benefit to lie and say it was on backorder anyway, unless they don't plan on working on it for a while in the first place.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 AM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolt
Last time one of these came in the shop (monthish ago) it was. Didn't personally check atm but it would be expected. The past year ive seen multiple spc parts go on national backorder. Right now I have a evaporator and hvac seal kit on national backorder for a 15 impala... Still don't know when its coming. There would be no benefit to lie and say it was on backorder anyway, unless they don't plan on working on it for a while in the first place.
I would see them not wanting to work on it, hence the charging for the connector.