Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

How To: Not Have Dealership Woes…

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How To: Not Have Dealership Woes…

Disclaimer: This thread is simply here to give advice to those who are looking to be treated fairly at a dealership, not to argue the semantics regarding warranty coverage/voidage (if there ever was such a word, lol), or defraud GM in any way. Please use common sense and understand that the dealership is a business and has every right to call modifications into question. They have certain obligations to GM regarding warranty claims, and can be penalized if they pass something through warranty that should not have gone through. Also, as a customer, you have every right to have warranty repair on issues directly related GM part/installation failure. There is a fine line here, let me help you walk it…

Section I

It seems like every week there is another story on this site about this or that dealership screwing you over, keeping your car for too long, or having your warranty voided because of modifications. There is quite a bit of speculation regarding the dealership and GM’s ability to void your warranty, along with the infamous “Magnuson-Moss Act.” I’m not going to get into that, because it is simply a topic that requires a thread of its own. What I will say is this, a properly selected dealership will have no issues helping you discern between a problem with factory part failure and a service issue caused by modification to your application.

What I want to accomplish here is to give you the ability to successfully research your current situation and resources available to you regarding having your car properly repaired. While under warranty, there are very few reasons not to bring your car into a certified GM service department for warranty work. Those reasons are abuse, negligence and bad luck. If you know what you have modified caused the problem (improper installation, obvious aftermarket-part failure, tampering w/ OEM parts, etc.), you should pursue other avenues for repair: i.e. Performance shop, trusted mechanic, etc…

If you abused your car to the point of it breaking, like wheel hopping the transmission into pieces, you should also pursue those other avenues and just upgrade to better parts so hopefully it won’t happen again. You can feel free to reinstall stock parts and try to sneak it under warranty; however, that is fraud and I highly discourage it. Situations like that are the main reason warranty is such a hot topic to begin with. Why should dealerships trust us when we clearly try to defraud them?

Now, we get down to those who honestly have an issue with OEM parts and performance. Before you head straight to the dealership, if possible, hop on this site and do two things:

1) Search your issue using several different key-words to see what comes up. If you find something, read through the thread for problems, related links, dialog and final resolution.

Side note: If you have a CEL, get it read by a friend w/ HPT, a Tech2 or take it to an AutoZone to have the code read. Check here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-maintenance-69/cobalt-dtc-thread-merged-12015/ to see what the code is before you post your issue. (Thanks Wop!)

2) If you can not find enough information or help through previous posts, you should start a new thread in the appropriate forum asking for help. Remember to clearly describe the situation, what modifications you have made, and what research you have already done. This will help the knowledgeable board members quickly give relevant feedback.

Getting help from members on this forum could very well save you the aggravation of having to ever deal with a dealership in the first place. If you take the time to research, think things through, and clearly articulate your issue in a thread on this site, you will be amazed at the responses you may actually receive. There will always be issues that can not be solved by talking to members on this site. At that point, you will at least have a good amount of research and theory to get you started at the dealership.

Section II

Finding the right dealership can be a daunting task, but spending the time researching each dealership can usually help avoid endless headaches in the end. You should start by searching for dealerships in your area:

http://www.goodwrench.com/dealersear...ncedSearch.jsp

I recommend searching for GMPP (Performance Parts certified) dealerships because they are more likely to have previous experience with modified vehicles. Once you receive a list of nearby dealerships, you should call each dealership and speak with a service advisor or service manager (if possible). The main point of speaking with someone before you bring the car in is to clear the smoke and feel out the dealership for their anticipated level of cooperation. If they ask why you want to speak with a title in particular, make sure to clarify that you are searching for a dealership to service your GM vehicle.

When you get someone on the line, I have found that stating your situation up front usually gets you on the most direct path to finding out if the dealership is willing to work with you. The purpose here is to politely state what you expect from them and what they should expect from you. Tell them what year, make and model you have and what is modified. After they know what you have done to your vehicle, ask them strait out “if a service issue is directly related to OEM part failure, will you have a problem performing warranty repairs on my vehicle? Or will you give me a hard time?” Remember to preface this with statements like, “I am more than willing to pay parts & labor, if what I did caused the problem; however, if the service issue is directly related to OEM…” A conversation like this will immediately give you an idea of how comfortable the dealership will be with your situation. Listen to how firm their answer is (tone of voice), whether or not they hesitate to answer questions, and generally how comfortable they make you feel.

Regardless of how you feel about your conversation, don’t make a decision off the bat. Thank them for their time and continue to call every dealership that is within a reasonable distance for you to travel to. Take into consideration the fact that you will most likely be dropping the vehicle off, so your ride has to be willing to follow you to the dealership, and drop you off when the service is completed.

Hopefully, you will be able to pin-point which dealership you feel most comfortable with. From there, it is simply a matter of calling your contact up to schedule an appointment and arranging your ride. Remember that whoever you make contact with, is going to be your greatest advocate. Their opinion and description of you is going to directly effect how the technician views and approaches your vehicle’s service and maintenance; and also, how the service manager approaches warranty claims or disputes. You should do your best to keep that positive relationship with this person so that your reputation at that dealership is positive. Simple things like showing up early, dressing like you are a positive influence on society, and being polite while conducting business will help you maintain these positive relationships.

Remember, this does not mean you shouldn’t stick to your guns when a dispute does arise. Use your research and your resources on css.net to stand your ground when appropriate. A dealership will respect you and your dispute when you respect them. Arguing, raising your voice, cursing or becoming generally irate will only hurt any situation. Keep your cool and be aware that if they bring you solid evidence that you or your actions caused the problem, you should be paying to repair the damages. If you feel that you are being mistreated, there is always someone higher, whether it be a service manager, general manager, owner, Attorney General or BBB. You can always bring a valid complaint up the ladder if need be. Hopefully, though, those kinds of situations can be avoided by establishing proper guidelines when the relationship is formed.

Best of luck and I hope that this can help you develop a solid relationship that can benefit both you and the dealership for years to come.

Last edited by Edubs; 07-22-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write-up Edubs. Much of it is common sense. Dealerships are independently owned and operated businesses. They are somewhat removed from GM itself, which IMO is a shame, but that's the way it currently is. GM will stay 'hands-off' with a dealership unless they are asked/forced to involve themselves. Mr. Goodwrench service depts are there to generate cash flow for the dealership. Again, it's a business and you are going to pay for services done there one way or another, which you need to expect before going into one. Your main point of contact with any dealership service is the Service Writer. If you are calm, cool and business-minded with the Service Writer, they should be the same back to you. If this individual is not, leave and go to another Goodwrench. If that particular A-hole service writer really bugged you, you can bump it up a notch and speak with his/her service manager or upper management for that dealership. Many times they make it right for you. Like you say, try to do some research of your problem, but just giving the Writer a clean, descriptive, precise description of your concern will help greatly. When they hit you with their first high dollar "solution", Explain to them, you respect the fact that they are a business, you know everybody has to make a profit, but you have to help me out with the price. I can almost guarantee you the price will come down and you will get better service. Blow through the doors and treat the Writer like an A-hole and you will get absolutely no where.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Very good points Joel. I agree completely...

Unfotunately, sometimes some of these things aren't common sense to people who don't have a lot of experience working with service departments. It helps to take a step back, analyze the situation and take things step by step. Thanks for your input!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Banned

click
Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 AM

It's a shame there only seems to be two GMPP certified dealers in the whole of CO, and I'm about 70 miles from the closest one

Good write-up Edubs, nice info for those of us still under warranty
Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Badju587
It's a shame there only seems to be two GMPP certified dealers in the whole of CO, and I'm about 70 miles from the closest one

Good write-up Edubs, nice info for those of us still under warranty
Yeah, sorry about that. I always forget that I'm fortunate here in NY having gobs of dealerships around. The higher the concentration, the more likely you are to find a GMPP dealer that'll play ball...

Thanks for the props, though.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Altiery54
click
I've seen you post this a bunch of times? What's CLICK all about?
Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by rukkee
I've seen you post this a bunch of times? What's CLICK all about?
It means he's saving it for later because he doesn't want to read my novel right now...

I do it too. Just subscribing, that is all.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:12 AM

Oh, almost forgot, I vote sticky
Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Banned

Cliif notes? lol i am lazy
Old 07-22-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Edubs
It means he's saving it for later because he doesn't want to read my novel right now...

bingo
Old 07-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by nitr0racing21
Cliif notes? lol i am lazy
No dice bro. If you really need it, you'll read it. That is the short version...

Originally Posted by Badju587
Oh, almost forgot, I vote sticky
Thanks!

Last edited by Edubs; 07-22-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Nice writeup.

EDubs what dealer do you usually frequent? And please don't say Denooyer..
Old 07-22-2008, 09:44 PM

Actually, I go to DePaula for typical warranty stuff cause they're right down the street from me...

Screw Denooyer, they're freakin' idiots!
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Ahh ... got ya . I hate not knowing these things lol.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:38 PM

Actually, I go to DePaula for typical warranty stuff cause they're right down the street from me...

Screw Denooyer, they're freakin' idiots!
AMEN BRO. You know what they did to my car... Ugh..

DePaula is great. My dad used to sell cars there back in the day. My parents bought their 07 LS from them, got one hell of a deal. I keep forgetting you are in Albany. Hows the car coming along?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
AMEN BRO. You know what they did to my car... Ugh..

DePaula is great. My dad used to sell cars there back in the day. My parents bought their 07 LS from them, got one hell of a deal. I keep forgetting you are in Albany. Hows the car coming along?
It's running. I've had about 4-5 degrees of timing out of it for the last couple of months cause I was contemplating trading it in on something w/ a V8, but I just can't give up 40+MPG on the highway. I'll prob be fine tuning it again in August and making a few tweaks cause I'm sick of not breaking them loose in third anymore...
Old 07-24-2008, 01:14 AM

Just to add to this one. My catalytic converter got clogged at 30K and the dealer said they wouldn't fix it because I have exhaust. After getting a back and forth, yes we'll fix it/no we won't from the dealer I called GM directly. I talked to the guy for about 30 minutes and explained everything. He put me on hold about 5 minutes, came back and said, you have an appoitment tomorrow at 1:00 PM. Ended up getting a new cat and a free oil change out of it...

The moral of the story: If all else fails... call GM
Old 07-24-2008, 01:16 AM

It's running. I've had about 4-5 degrees of timing out of it for the last couple of months cause I was contemplating trading it in on something w/ a V8, but I just can't give up 40+MPG on the highway. I'll prob be fine tuning it again in August and making a few tweaks cause I'm sick of not breaking them loose in third anymore...
Third! I can barely chirp 2nd in mine, I dump the clutch and 75% of the time it just grabs and goes. Depends on the surface though... On route 7 I can get a nice squeal out of the 1-2 shift.

give me a ride in that thing.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by chris88z24
Third! I can barely chirp 2nd in mine, I dump the clutch and 75% of the time it just grabs and goes. Depends on the surface though... On route 7 I can get a nice squeal out of the 1-2 shift.

give me a ride in that thing.
Eventually. I'm embarrassed cause it doesn't pull you into the seat when it hits 5K in 2nd anymore. It used to hurt my neck, now it's just ehhh...

Nick and I are going down to Jersey in a month, you're more than welcome to come down w/ us. I'm hoping for 265 on Matt's Mustang dyno.