Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Hurst STS missing 5th gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurst STS missing 5th gear

So I've had it installed for a few months now. Install went smoothly. The Reverse lock out does not work, which I actually enjoy. But the issue I have now is missing 5th gear.

It seems that with no reverse lock out, when I go for my 4-5 shift, throwing the hurst to the right I miss 5th because I go too far right (which I never had a problem stock, all the way right and up was 5th).

It's not much of a problem, I just have to finess it into 5th because now 5th is like 1/2" to the left (of being all the way right). I tried fooling around with the adjustment threads and that didn't help either. Like I said something tells me it's because the reverse lockout isnt catching the "stopper." Because without the stopper I feel like the shifter is going all the way to the right for reverse and I pass the slot for 5th. Well actually after thinking about it that has to be the issue here haha.

If anyone has any idea what I'm talking about (this is hard to explain via typing) and has a fix let me know. If not I guess I just have to get used to it, but when I'm out playing with her and banging through the gears I almost always miss 5th, and I'm not about to get dusted by some POS because I missed 5th haha.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Bumpppppp
Old 01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like the plastic wore down and the shifter is passing right by the stopper. post a picture if you can so i can confirm
Old 01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

That sucks man! I am about to order a Hurst sts, hope I don't run into same issue.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM

the shifter cables have to be adjusted. I adjusted mine when i installed the hurst. put it in 4th and then You have to pop the other cable(not the one that you poped to do the install) and move the shifter over a little. I did it like an 8th of an inch at a time till the reverse lockout worked and it hit the plastic wall and slid up to catch 5th gear. works amazingly now.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM

i have this. actually posted like exactly the same thread. i wouldnt recomend the hurst. its a great name but everthing i have read about them say that the 5th gear thing is like that. you cant do much about it. you just have to get used to it. my reverse lockout works perfect but i have like a full inch and a half past where fifth gear grabs. so i have that problem to. realllyyyyyy annoying. anyways... i got lucky and was able to have the opportunity to return it so i did and i just dropped 250 dollars on a twm. ha just got it yesterday and oooo it better be worth it haha.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kikal8
i have this. actually posted like exactly the same thread. i wouldnt recomend the hurst. its a great name but everthing i have read about them say that the 5th gear thing is like that. you cant do much about it. you just have to get used to it. my reverse lockout works perfect but i have like a full inch and a half past where fifth gear grabs. so i have that problem to. realllyyyyyy annoying. anyways... i got lucky and was able to have the opportunity to return it so i did and i just dropped 250 dollars on a twm. ha just got it yesterday and oooo it better be worth it haha.
i just posted above you on how to fix it, just a little understanding on how the shift cables work and you can adjust it and not deal with the annoyance.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:34 PM

well i already bought it ha. problem is i also noticed that the hurst throws are not very short... i didnt notice much of a difference. i was pretty disapointed. it is definitely a smoother shift. but i didnt notice much of a difference in the shift.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by brandondrecksage
the shifter cables have to be adjusted. I adjusted mine when i installed the hurst. put it in 4th and then You have to pop the other cable(not the one that you poped to do the install) and move the shifter over a little. I did it like an 8th of an inch at a time till the reverse lockout worked and it hit the plastic wall and slid up to catch 5th gear. works amazingly now.
Which direction did you move the shifter cable?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by kikal8
& this is why I did didn't buy one a few days ago lol, did research & figured out the TWM is a better buy hands down.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jbravoxc3
when i took the shifter out i didnt even take the plastic pieve off the cable. i just popped the shifter out of its little housing. ha and now that i think about it that was probobly dangerous. but that shouldnt have had anythingto do with it
Old 01-23-2011, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by jbravoxc3
you pop the clamp and move the shifter whichever direction you wish....that will be were 4th gear now engages and everything will be spaced over the amount you moved the shifter.