Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

hvac malfuntion

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hvac malfuntion

I turned on my heat and move the knob to point it to the windshield and heard a loud pop. Now I don't get heat to the windshield. Anybody know how to take the dash out? could someone point me to a how to? I search but came up with nothing. thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by brandondrecksage
I turned on my heat and move the knob to point it to the windshield and heard a loud pop. Now I don't get heat to the windshield. Anybody know how to take the dash out? could someone point me to a how to? I search but came up with nothing. thanks

Oh gawd... Taking that air box out is the worst part of taking one of these cars apart...

The dash is pretty self explainitory to take out.. it's just several layers of unbolting and removing... you gotta take out the main support behind the fire wall to get the air box out too.. this job sucks man..

The image below still isn't far enough apart to take the box out...

Old 01-28-2009, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
Oh gawd... Taking that air box out is the worst part of taking one of these cars apart...

The dash is pretty self explainitory to take out.. it's just several layers of unbolting and removing... you gotta take out the main support behind the fire wall to get the air box out too.. this job sucks man..

The image below still isn't far enough apart to take the box out...

LuLz
Old 01-28-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pull off the Knob ,the pop you heard could of been the switch knob splitting.
Take a good look to see if its split by trying to spread it with a small screw driver.
The other stuff is all vacuum operated .
Old 01-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
The other stuff is all vacuum operated .
It actually has 3 little electric motors that run all the flaps in the box.

2 of them are easy to get to in the car... the other is possible.. but it will test you..
Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 PM

My car goes in for service on Friday morning to replace the blower motor due to a chirping noise. Because of the seemingly labor intensive disassembly of the dashboard to get to the defective part, should I remove the wires for the emergency warning lights that I've installed?

To wit, I'm a volunteer fireman, and Ambulance attendant in New York State. The lights, Star ULB-9, one blue, the other green, are mounted on the rear view mirror bracket. The wires are tucked under the headliner and run to the right, and run under the A-Pillar cover and into the dashboard. They continue to run along the base of the glove compartment, then above the fuse block, eventually terminating just below the cup holder where they join in to wires that provide power to the lights, switch between blue and green, and to "switch on" the selected light. One switch is on the bezel between the steering column, and the selection switch is where the accessory power outlet would be below the HVAC controls.

For those interested, here's the wiring diagram.

Last edited by EX331; 01-28-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Image replacement
Old 01-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by 383_Stroker
It actually has 3 little electric motors that run all the flaps in the box.

2 of them are easy to get to in the car... the other is possible.. but it will test you..
thanks, are all of the screw visible? Or is some it held in by clips like the trim? I have some car knowledge, but no real idea of where to start.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EX331
My car goes in for service on Friday morning to replace the blower motor due to a chirping noise. Because of the seemingly labor intensive disassembly of the dashboard to get to the defective part, should I remove the wires for the emergency warning lights that I've installed?

To wit, I'm a volunteer fireman, and Ambulance attendant in New York State. The lights, Star ULB-9, one blue, the other green, are mounted on the rear view mirror bracket. The wires are tucked under the headliner and run to the right, and run under the A-Pillar cover and into the dashboard. They continue to run along the base of the glove compartment, then above the fuse block, eventually terminating just below the cup holder where they join in to wires that provide power to the lights, switch between blue and green, and to "switch on" the selected light. One switch is on the bezel between the steering column, and the selection switch is where the accessory power outlet would be below the HVAC controls.

For those interested, here's the wiring diagram.

If it were me.... I'd probably just explain what you told us and ask them what they prefer you do or if they can set it back up the same when they are done.

Otherwise if you have doubt. I'd just remove them before you take it in.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM

I noticed today that the air doesn't go through the indicated vents...so if I have it pointed at the floor, its going through the middle vents and my face, if i have it towards the middle vents its hitting my feet, but nothing points it to the windshield...anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
probably the mode door/actuator in the case......to be sure you'd have to hook it up to a scan tool and see if the hvac module is actually sending out the correct setting compared to what you have selected.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:39 PM

best thing is to have the module scanned as Sunburst_SS stated it sounds like the mode door bound up and may have stripped the plastic arm that attaches the door to the actuator
Old 01-30-2009, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Zander916
If it were me.... I'd probably just explain what you told us and ask them what they prefer you do or if they can set it back up the same when they are done.

Otherwise if you have doubt. I'd just remove them before you take it in.
Good call, I'll ask them. Thanks.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
probably the mode door/actuator in the case......to be sure you'd have to hook it up to a scan tool and see if the hvac module is actually sending out the correct setting compared to what you have selected.
like a tech 2? today it only blows one way now not matter what the dial says.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, a tech2.......you should be able to monitor the output from the hvac module. If it is commanding the selected mode, and it still doesn't work......then you most likley have a problem with either the mode door, or the mode door actuator. Either way, you will be taking a few things apart to fix it