Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Iddle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iddle Problems

Im getting these iddle problems all the time to the point were the revs go so low that the car shuts off on me even wen the car is already warm and has been running for quite some time.In the mornings when i start the car the revs are bouncing up and down like crazy this happens all the time ..its really bothering me..im not a genuis with cars so a simple solution would b appreciated.. thankz
Old 02-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that could be a lot of things, are you getting a CEL?

also, there have been a few updates to the programming of the PCM over the years, it may have a software patch that fixes that issue.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:31 PM

yea my engine light has been on since i changed the intake. and the bouncing revs happens all the time wer now i get my car shutting off on me about 3 times a day.. whats this software you are talkin about?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by LicKuRLipSS
yea my engine light has been on since i changed the intake. and the bouncing revs happens all the time wer now i get my car shutting off on me about 3 times a day.. whats this software you are talkin about?
on some years and models, there were reflashes done at the dealers to solve certain issues.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:47 PM

well, did you have the problem before or after you installed the intake?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 PM

as i said in the other thread bout the idle problem.. try cleanin out the throttle body with some brake cleaner.. mine had the problem with the idle wantin to jump and then go down so far that it would die.. the tb was full of a brown oily gunk that was makin the tb stick when it would close from lettin off the pedal completely.. brake cleaner fixed mine and it hasnt done it since then.. im gonna install a catch can though to help prevent it from happenin again..
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM

ummmm, yes...but instead of using brake cleaner, try using throttle body cleaner
Old 02-22-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Sunburst_SS
ummmm, yes...but instead of using brake cleaner, try using throttle body cleaner
lol yeah that would work to but its bout the same stuff in a different can though..
Old 02-22-2008, 11:06 PM

If you have your air conditioning or your defroster on when this happens, try turning it off and see if it gets better.

One of two things might be happening and they are both in the tune. Either idle torque is lost by running a small pulley and needs corrected with additional timing or projected A/C idle torque loss is too low in the tune. This is just from my own observations.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring it to a dealer and have your PCM flashed with the latest calibration
Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
Bring it to a dealer and have your PCM flashed with the latest calibration
Definetly, if he is running a stock tune with a stock pulley or a staged tune with a stage 2 pulley. Anything else might need a correction with HPTuners.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:43 AM

k so i brought my car into the dealer....they said nothing and brought it right in to get fixed....wen it was done i got into my car and the light was off...i drove it for a couple hours went home and parked the car in the garage...when i went bak later to turn it on again cuz i was going out..the light turned bak on again....now im relly pissed off..car light is on and the revs are ****** nutz right especially in the morning wen its cold and i just turn on my car...the needle is goin up and down like crazy from 1600rpm bak down to almost 100rpm lol...its insane....wen GM gave me the repair bill...it said that they had found and aftermarket intake in the car and that all wires were tampered with....so now instead of getting it fixed gm just caught me with an aftermarket intake that they know is cause of the problem.....so yea NO POINT IN ME TAKING THE CAR IN FOR A REFLASH OR W.E BECAUSE ITS STYLL THE SAME BULLSHIT prob even worse... now my next option is to get some throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body...if that doesnt work ill try cleaning the MAF and if that doesnt work ill just take the intake out of my car install the original intake...get in my car drive down to the lake and throw the damn thing as far in as i can..... i have an '07 Cobalt completly stock i only have an injen intake and eibah lowering srpings...THATS ALL....anyone with sum help or ideas anything right now will help
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by LicKuRLipSS
k so i brought my car into the dealer....they said nothing and brought it right in to get fixed....wen it was done i got into my car and the light was off...i drove it for a couple hours went home and parked the car in the garage...when i went bak later to turn it on again cuz i was going out..the light turned bak on again....now im relly pissed off..car light is on and the revs are ****** nutz right especially in the morning wen its cold and i just turn on my car...the needle is goin up and down like crazy from 1600rpm bak down to almost 100rpm lol...its insane....wen GM gave me the repair bill...it said that they had found and aftermarket intake in the car and that all wires were tampered with....so now instead of getting it fixed gm just caught me with an aftermarket intake that they know is cause of the problem.....so yea NO POINT IN ME TAKING THE CAR IN FOR A REFLASH OR W.E BECAUSE ITS STYLL THE SAME BULLSHIT prob even worse... now my next option is to get some throttle body cleaner and clean the throttle body...if that doesnt work ill try cleaning the MAF and if that doesnt work ill just take the intake out of my car install the original intake...get in my car drive down to the lake and throw the damn thing as far in as i can..... i have an '07 Cobalt completly stock i only have an injen intake and eibah lowering srpings...THATS ALL....anyone with sum help or ideas anything right now will help
Ok, this wall of text is near impossible to read but here's what I'm getting from it.

Check Engine Light is on? Can you have the code scanned by a local auto parts store, that might clue you in to the problem?

Dealer won't warranty it because of the aftermarket intake. Intake might actually be the problem. It could be a fueling issue but they should still make a determination what the actual cause is before repair work is done. If you tampered with wires like they are saying, that could be the cause?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM

i never tampered with any wires...all i did was take out the old intake and put in the new one.....the cars engine light is styll on....the code it threw off was a P010 it was fixed for a couple hours then it came back on...the sealer didnt do nothing instead they wrote on the bill that they had found and aftermarket intake...thats basically it....but like i said im going to buy the throttle body cleaner to fix the iddle problems...because its getting real terrible with the revs bouncing from 200rpm to 1200rpm...sometimes it just dips so low the car turns off
Old 02-26-2008, 11:23 AM

bump...
Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

my stage 2 balt does the same thing. Ill post back when I get home, I hate typing on a cellphone
Old 02-26-2008, 07:03 PM

so i went out and bought a throttle body cleaner and i used it on the cobalt....i took off the intake and cleaned it very well...i also took my MAF off and cleaned it with an air can cleaner or w.e they are called....and i also cleaned the air filter...i put everything back together and i drove around the block ...the engine light is styll on after all that...so i bring it back to my garage and i do a few things like clean the inside of my car...then i decide to go out again and the engine light is off,and the revs wernt jumpin around like crazy like they usually did...i drove around for a few hours and the car ran like new...like nothing ever happened to it...the car is styll running fine just like new....maybe i suggest ppl with the same issue of BOUNCING REVS would clean theyr throttle body and see if that produces any reults....

bump

Last edited by LicKuRLipSS; 02-26-2008 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM

My car does it but since my buddy that works for chevy was laid off, I will be in no hurry to reinstall stock parts for a visit to the dealer.... so .......

I have found that if I can keep the car in gear a little longer that what I normally do, for instance instead of coming up on a light and pushing in the clutch and letting the car cost up to the light, I just hit the brake as I slow and wait till the rpms fall close or below 2k and then pushing in the clutch and usually the rpms won't bounce up and down

I think its just the cold weather, but I'm not a tech nor do I claim to be....

I'll try cleaning the maf and maybe the filter since its been installed for about a year now... couldn't hurt anything.... guess I'll be getting out the jack tonight
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 AM

its been about a week and a half and damn what a difference ive noticed.....my revs were bouncing so much that my car would shut off...so i went out and bought a throttle body cleaner..i took the intake off and cleaned it..i cleaned the MAF and the filter as well....as soon as i turned the car back on from cleaning it the light was off and i noticed a huge difference the first couple block i drove.... everything is perfect now...NO CEL NO bouncing revs.... i suggest to whoever has these problems to go out and get yourself a throttle body cleaner..IT WORKS!! thanx to the guy who gave me the idea on this site...dont rememebr his name but yea... TRY it
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 AM

common problem not really a big deal