Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

K&N Typhoon got a CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Typhoon got a CEL

Just installed the new K&N typhoon on my SS. When I turned the car on I immdediately got a CEL, and figured it was memory code one. Drove it around, everything seemed fine. Drove it to work today and the CEL was still on. When I left work I noticed it had gone out, but on my way home it came back on. Craaaaaaaaaap! I don't wanna go buy an obd2 reader so I can know what code it is, aren't they like $100? I checked the connections and everything seems fine. Ugh.. I shouldn't have been a guinea pig for this.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:01 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maverick
Just installed the new K&N typhoon on my SS. When I turned the car on I immdediately got a CEL, and figured it was memory code one. Drove it around, everything seemed fine. Drove it to work today and the CEL was still on. When I left work I noticed it had gone out, but on my way home it came back on. Craaaaaaaaaap! I don't wanna go buy an obd2 reader so I can know what code it is, aren't they like $100? I checked the connections and everything seems fine. Ugh.. I shouldn't have been a guinea pig for this.
Do you have Onstar?

If you do, press your Onstar button and ask for a remote diagnostic.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MarcS
Do you have Onstar?

If you do, press your Onstar button and ask for a remote diagnostic.
No I don't have Onstar. If you are serious hah
Old 10-18-2005, 05:08 PM
The Stig

No I don't have Onstar. If you are serious hah
Ah

lol yes I am serious, they can check for CEL's and tell you what it's related to. They won't tell you the exact code though. If you have a fuel trim lean code they will say there is a problem with the fuel module.

I just ordered Auto Tap today with the GM kit because I get codes regularly for no reason. It was about $275 which was a pretty good price considering what it's capable of.

Here is some information from another thread in the event of a P0171 Code (fuel trim lean)

DTC P0171

Conditions for setting this fault:

1. The long term FT weighted average value is more than a calibrated value.

2. The above condition is present for more than 2 minutes.

Conditions for DTC/CEL reset (note MIL=CEL):

1. The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

2. A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

3. A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

4. Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Notice the light should go off after 3 ignition cycles if the problem is fixed, the fault will come off the history after 40 ignition cycles.

Stuff you can check at home without a scan tool that could cause this condition:

1. Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components
2. Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, throttle body, and injector O-rings
3. The air induction system and air intake ducts for leaks
4. The crankcase ventilation system for leaks
5. The evaporative canister purge pipes for obstructions or plugging
Old 10-18-2005, 05:16 PM

ugh... well I guess I'm gonna wait this out a bit and see if it goes out in a few days. If it doesn't I'll go to walmart and pick up a reader. If I get a reader, is there anything specific I should be looking for, or can I buy any one?

I really hope I don't have to get one though
Even if I do get one and I see the code, and it is a lean code, there really isn't anything I can do about it? Even if I clear it wont' it just come back on anyway?
Old 10-18-2005, 05:24 PM
The Stig

ugh... well I guess I'm gonna wait this out a bit and see if it goes out in a few days. If it doesn't I'll go to walmart and pick up a reader. If I get a reader, is there anything specific I should be looking for, or can I buy any one?

I really hope I don't have to get one though
Even if I do get one and I see the code, and it is a lean code, there really isn't anything I can do about it? Even if I clear it wont' it just come back on anyway?
Instead of getting a scan tool at walmart, go to Autozone or Advance autoparts, they will usually read your code for free.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:50 PM

I just may try that. If the CEL doesn't go off........... ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-18-2005, 06:01 PM

In my opionion, anybody who plans to modify AND install those mods themselves should invest in a reader since any future installs may cause more CEL's. Think of the $$ you're saving in labour costs for intsalling the mods yourselves. Use that saved $$ and invest into a good reader like MarcS recommends in his post.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by 2006ArrivalBlueSS
In my opionion, anybody who plans to modify AND install those mods themselves should invest in a reader since any future installs may cause more CEL's. Think of the $$ you're saving in labour costs for intsalling the mods yourselves. Use that saved $$ and invest into a good reader like MarcS recommends in his post.
I agree, I thought to myself today.. I could have bought the K&N intake instead.. but a scan tool will prove invalueable with later tuning.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Ern

So what is this, buy an K&N and live with the codes? I mean do they eventually go away or do you have to make them go away? Whats the deal with this?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

i have seen on pretty much every car you put an intake on, its going to throw a code...does that mean anything, no. maybe in some cases. I had an Injen intake on my previous car, threw a code about 2 weeks later (running rich, recognizing more air in the engine). I have told my self i wont but an intake on this car, but maximumboost.net has gauranteed NO CEL, well just see, and it doesnt throw a code, he will have my money
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Banned

i've been driving since last friday and no code on my K&N. Nothing
Old 10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sneaky
i've been driving since last friday and no code on my K&N. Nothing
Must be something very tempermental for it to throw a code on some cars but not others. Apparently the Cobalts ECU/PCM is very sensitive to small variances in air flow or something, because there are no visible signs that would make the CEL come on

Instead of getting a scan tool at walmart, go to Autozone or Advance autoparts, they will usually read your code for free.
Yep, I work at Autozone and we pull codes all the time for free It's a company policy, so no matter what Autozone you go to, they should be able to do it free of charge, no problem. Not sure about Advance Auto, I went there once to get a CEL pulled, and they said that they don't do them at all.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Banned

Greasy finger prints or dirt can throw a code as well if fingers or debree was all over the sensor. Something some don't know about.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Ern

I just dont wanna have to see that CEL on 24/7 for the rest of the remainder of my days with the SS. If something actually went wrong and its up already, id never notice it. Plus the CEL just plain sux.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ern
I just dont wanna have to see that CEL on 24/7 for the rest of the remainder of my days with the SS. If something actually went wrong and its up already, id never notice it. Plus the CEL just plain sux.
I completely agree.

sneaky should I try cleaning the MAF? If so do I use alcohol and a cotton swab? (That is what I read I think). And can I get to the thing by taking off the drivers side head light? I really don't wanna have to pull the wheel off again, and the friggin splash guard.

anyone?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:00 AM

I had to change out the screws from the stock ones to the ones provided w/ the kit when bolting the MAF sensor to the pipe....after that my CEL turned off within 10 minutes and has been off since.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 AM

I used the provided K&N screws Can i get to the filter through the drivers side head light? to check the maf/filter clamp?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:04 AM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 265 Likes on 182 Posts
My K&N came in today and I am thinking maybe I will let the dealer install it and see if they get a CEL
Old 10-19-2005, 01:06 AM

Nah, there isn't enough room to maneuver (at least for me) w/ the headlight out to get to the filter or maf. Stupid question, but did you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery? Also, I had to get a new MAF when I had just a K&N filter because oil residue had contaminated the sensor...maybe just some dust or foreign objects causing a faulty MAF sensor?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tofu
Nah, there isn't enough room to maneuver (at least for me) w/ the headlight out to get to the filter or maf. Stupid question, but did you disconnect the negative terminal on your battery? Also, I had to get a new MAF when I had just a K&N filter because oil residue had contaminated the sensor...maybe just some dust or foreign objects causing a faulty MAF sensor?
crap. I was hoping I wouldn't have to pull the friggin wheel off again... arrgh!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofu
Remove the headlight and the black headlight bracket (4 more bolts) and you can easily access the filter and MAF.

I just checked mine after a P0171 code

I tightened the intake/throttle body hose clamps and checked the breather vent. Everything looked ok.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by zinner
Remove the headlight and the black headlight bracket (4 more bolts) and you can easily access the filter and MAF.

I just checked mine after a P0171 code

I tightened the intake/throttle body hose clamps and checked the breather vent. Everything looked ok.
fewww thats great news. i really didn't feel like jacking this car up again. and pulling the friggin splash guard off again. I'll be checking everything saturday if the light stays on (which I'm sure it will.)
Old 10-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah going in from the headlight is much easier.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:15 AM

Does this 171 code cause the car to go into LIMP mode after a while, or does it just have the CEL on?

Quick Reply: K&N Typhoon got a CEL