Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Leaking oil from intercooler Round 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking oil from intercooler Round 2

I posted this issue in the problems section a little over a week ago but I didn't give a very good description of what happened. So I'd want to try this out again and try to do this right this time

Ok, so the problem is that during my first two sessions of a recent track day I did (both were no longer than 15 mins) I had a oil leakage coming from what I believe the left side (driver perspective) intercooler piping. The car was pulling max Gs of around 1.18 (gotten off the G Meter of the RPD) and most of the corners at these track were right handers.

I was pushing the car hard cause I was trying to catch a Corvette that started ahead of me. I discovered the leak when I parked it and checked my tires to see wetness in my wheel well. I went under the car and found oil all under the intercooler piping leading all the way to the control arm. It lokked like at most I lost up too a 1/4 of a quart (guesstimate) from the amount of oil I found around that area.

I parked the car immediately after I found the leak. Didn't want to hurt anything cause I was over 200 miles from home at this point, but the funny thing though is that after put some oil back into it, and drove it home, I haven't had the problem since. No leaking, No CELs, absolutely nothing wrong with the thing (AFAIK). I've been getting into the boost quite frequently to see if it would leak again, but hasn't.

So again I ask if this is normal or do I have a serious problem on my hands? I know turbos leak a little oil but is that much normal for the conditions I put it through? I would like to do another track day later this month, but I'm kinda scared I'm going to really brake something this time. That or leak so much oil that it becomes a track hazard.

EDIT: Forgot to add the car is stock, except for the intercooler. I replaced the stock unit for a MPx intercooler. 45,000 milles on the car, most being highway miles.

Last edited by Mechs; 06-06-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
38 views and no one can help me out? Well I guess since no one replied it ain't that serious then? **** it then. I still got a warranty on it if anything goes wrong I guess. Thanks I guess