Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

LSJ part melting beside engine with two hoses coming from it, what is it? (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation LSJ part melting beside engine with two hoses coming from it, what is it? (pic)

Hi guys,
Just fired up my car for the first time in 2.5 years. Surprisingly it fired up fine and was idling great. I started holding revs higher and giving it some gas to redline when I noticed the piece in the picture below began to buldge and then melt and smoke:

You can see the melting that occured on the top left, the device is also buldging out

Any idea what this is and why it got hot enough to melt? Car will not start now, I assume because this piece is melted shut.

Any ideas why this piece got so hot would be appreciated. I would like to order a new one, am I screwed?

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2021, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by boostbalt
Hi guys,
Just fired up my car for the first time in 2.5 years. Surprisingly it fired up fine and was idling great. I started holding revs higher and giving it some gas to redline when I noticed the piece in the picture below began to buldge and then melt and smoke:

You can see the melting that occured on the top left, the device is also buldging out

Any idea what this is and why it got hot enough to melt? Car will not start now, I assume because this piece is melted shut.

Any ideas why this piece got so hot would be appreciated. I would like to order a new one, am I screwed?

Thank you!
Am I correct this is the supercharger's bypass valve actuator? If so, if this got hot enought to melt that means my boost was super hot, I wonder if my coolant isn't flowing through the intercooler?

Do you think I'm on the right track?

Given that this is melted and the car won't start, have I fried the engine from super hot boost perhaps? Doesn't seem likely but engine won't turn over.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2021, 01:07 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
No, your boost wasn't hot enough to melt it. It very likely shorted out internally. And I'm 98% sure that part won't prevent your car from starting... just boosting.

You should probably check your fuses and relays, as well check the wiring for cuts, rubs, chew marks, etc.