Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

my car is destroying relays and running rough!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my car is destroying relays and running rough!??

hey guys i really need some help on this one. so the other day my car started running like **** so i popped the hood and there was no incooler coolant in the spout. i took it home and after a little rooting around i found out the intercooler relay was bad. i figured the relay went out and the coolant steamed and bubbled out. so i put a new relay in, bled the intercooler pump. all worked normall. i took it for a drive and it still misses at high boost. like around 4k rmp. i checked the pump again, and everything was working. well today i was in a parking lot idling. and i started smelling anitfreeze. i switched my dash display to the temp guage and it read 212 degrees. so i popped the hood and it turned out my elec fans werent on. so i pulled the relay out of my another slot and stuck it in and the fans kicked on, and the car cooled down to 180ish. i bought another relay. at this point im begining to realize something is messed up. when i got home i went to check all the fuses again and the relays were really hot. im thinking i have a short somewhere thats overheating the relays and causing them to not work. any ideas?
Old 07-28-2010, 08:34 AM

anyone??
Old 07-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are either drawing to much current through the relay or the voltage turning on the relay is low causing the relay coil to draw more current heating it up.

Check the voltage your altenator is putting out.
Make sure the relays are seated properly(bad connection can cause a voltage drop)
Check fuse box connections.

If they are getting hot with out running anything then you definitly have a short somewhere.

Is the fuse box damp inside(water intrusion can cause problems)
Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Coblasts
You are either drawing to much current through the relay or the voltage turning on the relay is low causing the relay coil to draw more current heating it up.

Check the voltage your altenator is putting out.
Make sure the relays are seated properly(bad connection can cause a voltage drop)
Check fuse box connections.

If they are getting hot with out running anything then you definitly have a short somewhere.

Is the fuse box damp inside(water intrusion can cause problems)
hey i apretiate the help. thats kinda what i was thinking. im gonna pull my fuse box apart tonight. would you happen to know what the alternator is supposed to be pusing?

UPDATE
today i left the key on for about ten minutes, not running just the key in the on position. the run/crank, aftercool, a/c, and pwr trn relays were noticeably hotter than the rest.

Last edited by Galadrake; 07-28-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost