Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

New car, lots of codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New car, lots of codes

I just picked up an 09 sstc last week. I was told it had a blown turbo, but I got it for a great price so if it's more than that I'm not too worried.

When I picked up the car, I started it to load onto the trailer, it is running very rough at idle, but smooths out once you give it some gas. It has tons of smoke coming from the exhaust. I did a compression test and all were right around 165psi.
I have codes p0013, p0017. I've read about changing the cam actuator and that they can cause the car to run rough, but would that trigger p0017?

The battery was low when I was trying to start it before reading the codes, so I think that may be the low voltage codes for the injectors.

Where should I start with troubleshooting, I already bought a new turbo. I'm not sure if I should start there or with the cam actuators.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
For the p0013 and p0017 replace the camshaft solenoids..

p2146 says it's high injector voltage... Try fixing the camshaft solenoids and replacing the turbo before getting into that... Random codes always like to pop up on this damn car..

I have a Spare k04 for sale btw if you're looking into one :p
Old 08-01-2016, 10:32 AM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
All your misfire codes are caused by your camshaft codes. Check your timing and actually diagnose your issues before pissing away money on parts.

The fact a correlation code exsists leads me to believe there more wrong then a blown turbo. Meaning the exhaust cam out of time and the correlation between it and the cam is off, it jumped time which something would of had to of caused that, or the actuator on the exhaust cam is broken or even all of the above. Yank the valve cover and look at the chain first. If all is well then spin the motor by hand until the timing marks line up. If they dont you have found part of your issue.

Dig deeper.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:59 PM

Slowbalt, thank you but I already bought a new turbo from someone in Facebook. I ordered the solenoid today, so I will change that out on Wednesday.
Omiotek, I will check the timing but I have never seen a good compression test with a motor that jumped timing.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:29 PM

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Depends on how far it jumped in the lnf and at what rpm
I had aomeones chain snap at idle and it didnt hurt anything other then a guide. Also had if they jump one tooth it on either cam the car will still run but throws correlation codes. In your case its only one cam from the codes you show so theres a chance everything can be fine. Might as well do a leak down test on it since its new to you. Cars can pass compression checks that fail leakdowns.
Old 12-09-2020, 01:57 AM

Hi, I also have a car and I had problems with it almost immediately. Well, the problem started almost and it was a problem with the fact that I had to take her to my home and for this I had to drive somewhere more than half of the city. Then I remembered that my sister's car had to be transported by a poor service that brought the car all in scratches. Then I realized that I had to look for, look for a new service that could transport my car. And then I found a service that Ship a car across the country, which transports a car to anywhere in the country and is not very expensive. The peculiarity of this company is that they have professionals with more than five years of experience .

Last edited by EdwardClark; 12-25-2020 at 08:59 AM.