Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Oil and Warranty work Today

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil and Warranty work Today

I went to my appointment at my local dealer today, half hour early because I wanted to see if they could get me started right away. It's a pontiac dealer, which is my dealer in town, because I was unhappy with the dealer I bought the car from.

It's a drive in bay and the Service Advisor walks over to me as I step out of the car.

"Nice car, where'd you get the wing?" He asks.

"Um, well it's factory. It's a Cobalt SS Supercharged." I replyed... all confused.

"Supercharged???? did you get that added on too? How much horsepower are you making?" The daftness rank from his airhead tone.

" It's a Cobalt SS supercharged, 205 rated horsepower from the factory. she's bone stock."

"Oh. hmm, I haven't seen an SS around. Pretty nice."

Anyways, after that waste of a conversation was out of the way, I got them to look at the leather trim on the passenger door trim, and an Idling problem I've been having when coming to a stop.

Turns out, if nobody knows, that there is a memo out on the issue, and GM has made a larger sliver door grab, to compensate for the problem. The dealer said mine should arrive on Saturday.

As far as the Idling issue, when I come to a stop, the revs will start bouncing from almost stalling to 900 rpm... it will only do this when the car is warmed up, and it seems I can just blip the throttle and it stops, until I come to a complete stop again. Turns out they couldn't duplicate the issue, after they ran a diagnostic and took it for a rip... the advisor told me to let them know if it continues and they will set me up with a portable datalogger to find out the issue.

Not too sure if anyone else is having the Idling issue?
Old 02-10-2006, 01:39 AM

I don't understand what you mean about the door grab? Could you elaborate for me. I am confused as to what you mean? Do you mean the inside silver door handle is being replaced on the car?

As far as the idling, I have heard from a few people about that issue. I currently drive a '92 Z34 5-speed with the 3.4L DOHC, and my car does the same thing. I think it may just be the programming on these higher performance engines with a manual tranny. I wouldn't worry, unless it starts stalling. I noticed that it does it more if you are running lots of accesories, so if it is doing it bad, shut stuff off. May not do anythign for a Cobalt SS LSJ, but worth a try.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

us 04 saturns used to have this problem we have ecu reflashes that cures that

BUT we have different ECU's
Old 02-10-2006, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by mi6_
I don't understand what you mean about the door grab? Could you elaborate for me. I am confused as to what you mean? Do you mean the inside silver door handle is being replaced on the car?

As far as the idling, I have heard from a few people about that issue. I currently drive a '92 Z34 5-speed with the 3.4L DOHC, and my car does the same thing. I think it may just be the programming on these higher performance engines with a manual tranny. I wouldn't worry, unless it starts stalling. I noticed that it does it more if you are running lots of accesories, so if it is doing it bad, shut stuff off. May not do anythign for a Cobalt SS LSJ, but worth a try.
Here's a pic for you, of the driver's side... I'm getting the passenger's side replaced.

Thanks for the help on the Idle issue.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:31 AM
Banned

idk if i have it, but when im slowing down and just coasting the rpm's drop and kind of bounce up and down between 900-1000 back and forth, nothing noticeable or anything you can hear, you only notice it if your looking at the gauges, I think it may have something to do with when you shift you know how the RPM's kind of over-compinsate for you and jump up 100 rpm's. I think it's fine, and all just part of the tricky hidden things that are with the car.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by silverSS
idk if i have it, but when im slowing down and just coasting the rpm's drop and kind of bounce up and down between 900-1000 back and forth, nothing noticeable or anything you can hear, you only notice it if your looking at the gauges, I think it may have something to do with when you shift you know how the RPM's kind of over-compinsate for you and jump up 100 rpm's. I think it's fine, and all just part of the tricky hidden things that are with the car.
Mine's pretty noticeable... you can see the headlights dim a bit and the heater fan blows slower when it bogs, surges, bogs...
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Leafy
Mine's pretty noticeable... you can see the headlights dim a bit and the heater fan blows slower when it bogs, surges, bogs...
That sounds like it might be a slightly different problem. As far as I know, the idle stabilizer didn't have much influence on whether or not your other functional parts of the car like your headlights. My '06 SS/SC has the same situation where she likes to bog down to about 800 rpms at a complete stop, then bob up and down to around 1000. But it only does it 2 or 3 times before it's stable.

I'm afraid that a little ways down the road, it's either going to bob a lot more than 2 or 3 times, or she'll just plain stall out.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:07 PM

I had this same exact problem so I have to add my 2 cents I got out my paperwork and this is the stats:
2006 chevy cobalt ss 2.0 mileage: 7,382
my concern:
customer stats the engine rpm's will go up and down at idle while sitting in traffic corrects with tap of gas pedal
the correction:
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR SHORTED
TEST EMISSIONS REPLACE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR

hope this helps!!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:15 PM

I took mine in for the door cup trim fix and still waiting for the new cup rings to arrive. 3weeks now. /shrug I waited 2 years already whats another week or 10
Old 05-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by proZak
I had this same exact problem so I have to add my 2 cents I got out my paperwork and this is the stats:
2006 chevy cobalt ss 2.0 mileage: 7,382
my concern:
customer stats the engine rpm's will go up and down at idle while sitting in traffic corrects with tap of gas pedal
the correction:
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR SHORTED
TEST EMISSIONS REPLACE FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR

hope this helps!!
That would be the Fuel TANK pressure sensor (there is no fuel system pressure sensor on the Balt- if you post the part number I can confirm)
It's doubtful the tank pressure sensor, used to control the evaporative emissions on your car, could have any significant effect on your idle quality. But stranger things have happended.
Let us know how your car's idle quality is affected.
Wop
Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 PM

well it says sensor fp#16238399 looks like they paid 3 hours to the tech so whatever they did fixed my car and thats what they leached off GM