Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

P0171 on 2007 SS/SC - Stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0171 on 2007 SS/SC - Stock

So my wife's car, a stock 07 SS/SC threw a P0171 about a month ago. I scanned the car to see what the code was, then cleared it to see if it'd come back. Yesterday it did.

She took it to a dealership this morning to let them have a look. She's at just over 60,000 miles, so outside of her traditional warranty, but within the limited powertrain.

Dealer told her that they thought her injectors were going, and she needed new ones with an ECM reprogram.

I say horseshit -- based on the fact that they they told her the injectors she wanted were Part # 12625029, which from what I can tell are for the 2.4L ... and that the only reference I can find to injectors and this code are from a TSB for a 2006 2.4L.

Anyhow, a buddy of mine thinks maybe fuel filter, which I guess that or maybe water or other trash in the system sounds reasonable. Outside of that, maybe some kind of leak.

Any ideas? Anybody dealt with this?

- She said she did NOT get gas at the same place before it threw the code a month ago and yesterday.
- Air filter changed about 10,000 miles ago.
- Car's stock.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

xTooltipElement
Service Information
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt | Cobalt, G5 (VIN A) Service Manual | Document ID: 1823659
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DTC P0171
Circuit Description
The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the air/fuel metering system in order to provide the best possible combination of driveability, fuel economy, and emission control. Fuel delivery is controlled differently during Open Loop and Closed Loop. During Open Loop, the PCM determines fuel delivery based on sensor signals, without heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) input. During Closed Loop, the PCM adds HO2S inputs and level of purge to calculate the short and long term fuel trim adjustments. If the HO2S indicates a lean condition, the fuel trim values will be above 0 percent. If the HO2S indicates a rich condition, the fuel trim values will be below 0 percent. The short term fuel trim values change rapidly in response to the HO2S voltage signals. The long term fuel trim makes coarse adjustments in order to maintain an air/fuel ratio of 14.7:1. A block of cells contain information arranged in combinations of engine RPM and engine load for a full range of vehicle operating conditions. The long term fuel trim diagnostic is based on an average of cells currently being used. The PCM selects the cells based on the engine speed and load. If the PCM detects an excessively lean condition, DTC P0171 sets.

DTC Descriptor
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean

Conditions for Running the DTC
• DTCs P0030, P0036, P0068, P0069, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0121, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0128, P0130, P0131, P0132, P0133, P0134, P0135, P0136, P0137, P0138, P0140, P0141, P0201-P0204, P0220, P0222, P0223, P0300, P0301-P0304, P0442, P0443, P0446, P0449, P0451, P0452, P0453, P0454, P0455, P0496, P0506, P0507, P1133, P1134, P1516, P1680, P1681, P2101, P2119, P2120, P2122, P2123, P2125, P2127, P2128, P2135, P2138, P2176 are not set.

• The engine is in Closed Loop status.

• The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between -7 and +120°C (+19.4 and +248°F).

• The intake air temperature (IAT) is between -7 and +145°C (+19.4 and +293°F).

• The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is between 15-100 kPa (2.2-14.5 psi).

• The vehicle speed is less than 132 km/h (82 mph).

• The engine speed is between 400 and 6,100 RPM.

• The mass air flow (MAF) is between 1-512 g/s.

• The barometric pressure (BARO) is greater than 72 kPa (10.4 psi).

• The fuel level is greater than 10 percent.

• DTC P0171 runs continuously once the above conditions have been met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
• The long term FT weighted average value is more than a calibrated value.

• The above condition is present for more than 2 minutes.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.

• The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Diagnostic Aids
• Test for fuel contamination. Small amounts of water can be delivered to the fuel injectors and cause a lean exhaust indication. A lean exhaust indication can also be caused by too much alcohol in the fuel. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

• The system will go lean if an injector is not supplying enough fuel.

• A lean condition could be present during high fuel demand due to a fuel pump that does not pump enough fuel, a plugged fuel filter, or a restricted fuel pipe.

• Review the Failure Records with a scan tool. If an intermittent condition is suspected, refer to Intermittent Conditions .

Test Description
The number below refers to the step number on the diagnostic table.

8.If conditions were not corrected, a worn cam, worn intake or exhaust valves, or other engine mechanical failure may be at fault.

Step
Action
Values
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Important: Disregard any transmission symptoms, antilock brake system (ABS) indicators, and traction control system (TCS) indicators until any fuel trim faults are repaired. A fuel trim fault may cause default actions such as harsh shifts and illumination of the ABS/TCS indicators.

Are any DTCs other than DTC P0171 also set?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
Go to Step 3

•Install a scan tool.
•Review the Freeze Frame/Failure Records and record the displayed data for this DTC.
•Select Fuel Trim Data parameter.
•Start the engine.
•Observe the Long Term FT parameter with a scan tool.
Is the Long Term FT parameter greater than the specified value?
18%
Go to Step 4
Go to Diagnostic Aids

•Operate the engine at idle.
•Observe the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) parameters with a scan tool.
Does the scan tool indicate that the values are within the specified range and fluctuating?
40-900 mV
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6

•Turn OFF the engine.
•Visually and physically inspect the following items:
• The vacuum hoses for splits, kinks, and proper connections--Refer to Emission Hose Routing Diagram .

• Properly functioning fuel injectors--Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis .

• If fuel pressure is too low, this DTC may set. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .

• Fuel contamination--Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .

Did you find and correct the condition?
--
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 8

•Turn OFF the engine.
•Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
•Observe the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor pressure parameter with a scan tool. Refer to Altitude Versus Barometric Pressure .
•The MAP sensor pressure should be within the range specified for your altitude.
Does the MAP indicate the correct barometric pressure?
--
Go to Step 7
Go to DTC P0106

•Turn OFF the engine.
•Inspect for the following conditions:
• The HO2S for proper installation

• Ensure that the electrical connectors and wires are secured and not contacting the exhaust system.

• The HO2S signal circuit for an open or a short to ground--Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs .

--
Go to Step 9
Go to Fuel System Diagnosis

•Operate the engine at idle.
•Inspect for the following conditions:
• Missing, loose, or leaking exhaust components

• Vacuum leaks at the intake manifold, throttle body, and injector O-rings

• The air induction system and air intake ducts for leaks

• The crankcase ventilation system for leaks

• The evaporative canister purge pipes for obstructions or plugging

--
Go to Step 9
Go to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical

Important: After repairs, use the scan tool Fuel Trim Reset function in order to reset the Long Term Fuel Trim.

•Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Important: Do not clear codes with the engine running. The codes may reset in the same ignition cycle.

•Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
•Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
•Start the engine.
•Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?
--
Go to Step 2
Go to Step 10

To verify that the performance of the catalytic converter has not been affected by the condition that set this DTC, perform the Repair Verification for DTC P0420. Refer to DTC P0420 .

Did you complete the procedure?
--
Go to Step 11
--

Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.

Have any other DTCs not been diagnosed?
--
Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle
System OK

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:49 AM

Useful information :P
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 AM

I'm sure Gene Culley will be right over to help you with that short list of troubleshooting.

Last edited by prevsrt4owner; 01-04-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 AM

Yea... Only thing is I've gotten the code 2 times withing 2 weeks andive deleted it both times ... Stupid car
Old 01-04-2013, 08:52 AM

OP, possibly a vacuum leak?! Have you tried boost leak testing with soapy water? Just an idea.
It could be a number of things, though: clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors, etc. Boost leak test spraying soapy water around intake manifold, injectors, injector o-rings, throttle body.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM

Soapy water around injectors? Is it safe? Lol
Old 03-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by turbosmart4
Soapy water around injectors? Is it safe? Lol
I have the same problem with my CEL throwing the p0171 code and I'm trying to find a solution. Could an evap leak cause this problem?

Also, I have the same question as tubrosmart, about checking for leaks. Is soapy water safe around the injectors?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33 PM

I actually fixed mine already... Right after replacing my exhaust mani (cracked) I was still getting the code... Turned out being the dip stip not sitting properly.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
I had P0171 when my intercooler water pump died. Start the car and see if the fluid is circulating in the intercooler filler neck by placing a straw or something in there. I bet it's dead.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 PM

P0171 Code - NOTHING SEEMS TO FIX IT !!
factory service message on this see below:
#06-06-04-033:

2.0L/2.2L LSJ/L61
Engine Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)/Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated with DTC P0171, Fuel Trim System Lean, Set (Reprogram ECM) - (Jun 21, 2006)

Models: 2005-2006 Chevrolet Cobalt, Cobalt SS Supercharged

2006 Chevrolet HHR

2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu

2005-2006 Pontiac Pursuit (Canada Only)

2004-2005 Saturn ION Redline

2005-2006 Saturn ION

with Ecotec™ 2.0L or 2.2L I-4 Engine (VINs P, F - RPOs LSJ, L61)

Condition
Some customer may comment that the MIL/SES lamp is Illuminated. Further diagnostic investigation with a scan tool may reveal a DTC P0171 Fuel Trim System Lean. No other driveability or performance concerns may be reported.

Cause
The most likely cause of this issue may be that the engine calibrations need to be updated to correct a variation in the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Correction
DO NOT replace the MAF sensor, the ECM or any other parts
-----------------
Okay, I have the factory scan tool Tech II and this car still shows this code no matter what. No leaks at all, No idea how to resolve it. The dealership just wants money but they have no idea how to fix it. Maybe the dip is leaking on this car also. That is an easy cheap item to test that theroy. If anyone has any ideas on this code please do tell !!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I threw this last week. Cleaned my MAF sensor, air filter and it ran fine for a bit, Threw it again.. i found out my vacuum line had become disconnected from the solenoid.

Could also be a plugged fuel filter

The dealer told you it was injectors, because that is the most expensive fix. Most garages want to take people for their money by putting on shitty parts that will break within a few months, Or telling you something needs replaced, even though it doesn't.

Symptoms You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as: a lack of power detonation (spark knock) rough idle hesitation/surge on acceleration. Causes A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty

Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.

There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection Faulty or stuck open PCV valve Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!) Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor Possible Solutions A lot of times, cleaning the MAF sensor and finding/fixing vacuum leaks fix the problem. If you're on a tight budget, start there, but that may not be the fix for certain. So, possible solutions include: Clean the MAF sensor.

Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace/repair as required Inspect all hoses and connections in the air intake system Inspect and/or test the intake manifold gaskets for leakage Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure Ideally you'll want to monitor short and long term fuel trims using an advanced scan tool If you have access.