Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

P1174 on '06 non SC

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P1174 on '06 non SC

Hello,

I've looked this error up, and it seems to point towards possible injector replacement and reprogram ECM per bulletin. The bulletin also mentions that cleaning the injectors will not help. Additionally I've read recommendations of cleaning, seafoam, etc. The guy that read the code at autozone told me to start with the basics; spark plug gap, etc. That makes good sense as well. I already run 93 octane since June. Maybe I should put some 89 in for awhile (partly kidding).

When I bought this car, I had hoped to handle most things myself if I could, and get to know this car. I wish I could change the injectors myself. That would be a worthy first project. Would it be worth the time to try a cleaning product?

I hadn't planned on sending a car with 24k on it to the shop so soon. I hate my dealerships around here.

The car runs quite well and gets 29-30 mpg average. But I hear folks bumping up to 34 after repair.

Now that this light is on and I'm looking around for answers, I might have noticed a stutter once or twice since June, but I'm not sure if it's like a "new car paranoia" or there really was a stutter. If it was, it was barely noticable. Would this be a very damaging issue if I can't get to the dealer right away, or is it more of an annoyance? Obviously if it starts stuttering all over the place I would address it right away.

Thanks!

Last edited by edacsac; 10-16-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diagnostic Aids
• The Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance diagnostic is very sensitive to HO2S design. A non-OE sensor or an incorrect part number may set a false DTC.
Monitoring the misfire current counters, or misfire graph, may help to isolate the cylinder that is causing the condition.

It would be best to try and narrow the problem to a specific cylinder,but if not possible
start with the plugs (replace there cheap).

Inspect wiring for the coils and injectors for shorting(knowing issue with them rubbing on air con hose)
Old 10-17-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks Coblasts,

Is there something I can buy, maybe to run on a notebook or handheld to watch for misfires, or record and analyze after (that won't break the bank)? And maybe a good manual to help me work on it?

What does "sensitive to HO2S design" really mean? My car is stock, I haven't tinkered anything and I know the previous owner didn't either.

I'll try spark plugs and inspect first though. It almost sounds like I could handle this issue. Someone else mentioned isolating the cylinder and replacing that particular injector.

Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Old thread but I have the same issue. Did you get it fixed? What was it exactly? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brandon11482
Old thread but I have the same issue. Did you get it fixed? What was it exactly? Thanks.
Start with plugs and gap
2)check coil wires for shorting
3)check injector wires for shorting(a shorting ground will make the injector stay on and a shorting signal wire will stop it from working properly if it deosnt blow the fuse.)

when I say shorting I mean spots were the insulation has been rubbed off and bare wire is touching metal

Good luck