Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

parking brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parking brake

Searched and didn't find someone having this exact problem. When i left this morning to go to work my p brake seemed to disengage kinda funny but I didn't think anything about it. When I got to work and tried to pull the brake up it did not make the clicking noise and wouldn't grab. held down the button and tried again with no luck. Tried pulling it up as far as i could go and nothing. it feels really weird like its harder to pull than normal. The car did not drive like the p brake was stuck so i at least hope its not dragging the brake around while i drive but my parking brake is useless now. out of warranty and broke so unless its an easy fix i can do myself i am going to have to live with it. any ideas to try?
Old 10-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jtg_blk07ss
Searched and didn't find someone having this exact problem. When i left this morning to go to work my p brake seemed to disengage kinda funny but I didn't think anything about it. When I got to work and tried to pull the brake up it did not make the clicking noise and wouldn't grab. held down the button and tried again with no luck. Tried pulling it up as far as i could go and nothing. it feels really weird like its harder to pull than normal. The car did not drive like the p brake was stuck so i at least hope its not dragging the brake around while i drive but my parking brake is useless now. out of warranty and broke so unless its an easy fix i can do myself i am going to have to live with it. any ideas to try?
I would look at 2 things first at the rear wheels, check to see if the linkage is loose (as if the ebrake is still locked and the cable is just floppy) jack up the car and try to spin the back wheel no rub (or hardly any rub might be some) should be heard
the next thing i would do is pull off the center console and check the little tang becasue it might be lodged so it wont grab the lock gear.
hope this helps
Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had. That problem its the actual ebrake lever the lock teeth snap from the ebrake.brace ........ I've got a new brace with ebrake handle for sale. 40$ shipped new from gm I bought.it.for 65 with my discount. but i don't need it since my car got totalled....... I bought my new ss/tc. So i moved up from the ss/sc to the tc.... just let.me.know. if he lever.will not stayup this is the issue..

Originally Posted by Gixxercobaltdriver
I would look at 2 things first at the rear wheels, check to see if the linkage is loose (as if the ebrake is still locked and the cable is just floppy) jack up the car and try to spin the back wheel no rub (or hardly any rub might be some) should be heard
the next thing i would do is pull off the center console and check the little tang becasue it might be lodged so it wont grab the lock gear.
hope this helps
Old 11-05-2010, 03:11 PM

finally got around to taking the console off. looks like a sawtooth looking piece of metal has come out of the lever and is the culprit. not sure how to put it back together or if its possible? nothing looks broken the metal piece with the teeth just fell out the bottom. seeing as the whole system is encased in metal and in a hard to get to area not really sure how it all works. anyone know where i can find a diagram? if it can't then yeah i would be interested in your lever if you can help me figure out how to install it. I don't feel very confident if I have to disconnect any of those brake linkage cables.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jtg_blk07ss
finally got around to taking the console off. looks like a sawtooth looking piece of metal has come out of the lever and is the culprit. not sure how to put it back together or if its possible? nothing looks broken the metal piece with the teeth just fell out the bottom. seeing as the whole system is encased in metal and in a hard to get to area not really sure how it all works. anyone know where i can find a diagram? if it can't then yeah i would be interested in your lever if you can help me figure out how to install it. I don't feel very confident if I have to disconnect any of those brake linkage cables.
Did you ever figure out how to put the teeth back in I'm having the same problem as well