Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Possible Lemon Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Lemon Help

Alright guys, I'm thinking about lemoning my cobalt. Ever since I got it out after winter it has been nothing but problems.

My Cluster backlighting w/ Running lights keep going out. (15 AMP Parking Lts Fuse Keeps Blowing)
My Instrument cluster intermittently goes dead. I lose all gages (MPH, Fuel, Tach)
When the cluster goes dead, I intermittently lose power steering (electric), My ABS dummy lights goes off an on.

It has gone in for service twice now, and goes in for attempt #3 tomorrow. None of my problems have yet to be fixed and continue. They hacked up my wiring harness and installed 7 fuse traps to diagnose the lighting issue. So that problem may be fixed. But they are clueless on my cluster going dead. They are all intermittent problems that the dealership can't seem to recreate. They give me the car back, and it always happened within 2-3 days.

Info on Car: I purchased the car in Sept for 2005. The car currently has 6,500 Miles on it.

Each State has its own lemon law.
I live in Ohio… So the Lemon law is as follows:
http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/O...lemonlaw2.html

If my problems are not corrected when I get it back next visit… do I have reason to Lemon Law my cobalt?

I figure my car falls into Part(s) A & D of Section 1345.73

What are all of your opinions?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:14 PM

I don't see why not. But you will loose the Arrival Blue.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That happened to me with the power steering and the cluster going dead, tell them to check the grounding locations, mine was loose and it did that.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:01 PM

Sounds like a short to me, I'd make one of their tech's ride with you until they see the problem happen for themselves. That way they can't say they couldn't reproduce the problem.

I'd also wait until the 4th or 5th time that it has happened before persuing the lemon law case, and you might end up having to pay an independent reputable mechanic to verify your claims. Wiring problems/shorts can be a bitch to sort out, so give them a little extra leeway, that way if the case ends up in front of a judge, you'll be more likely to win. It sort of sounds like the service department is a bit incompetent though. Might try taking it to a different dealer, and explaining in detail the entire situation.

I'm curious though, what do you mean by HACKED UP wiring? If they've made a mess of the wiring I'd make them replace the wiring harness and all affected wiring so that it is like new again.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:24 PM

Yeah, they had to cut into my wiring harnass and install 7 fuse traps to isolate the lighting problems.. So now it doesnt blow the fuse under the hood, but it blows there fuse trap. So when its all done and said my wiring harnass will have 7 open areas in which could cause more hastles. I want them to replace the harnass but i dont think they will. The harnass is for all the running lights, so it runs throughout the entire car. I want to lemon his car and get a silver ss/sc w/ G85. So im not worried about losing the arrival blue.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by 05_Blue_B10WN_SS
I want to lemon his car and get a silver ss/sc w/ G85. So im not worried about losing the arrival blue.
That's what I plan on getting if something were to happen to my baby. I hope I don't have to though.