Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Power steering out after owning for one day :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering out after owning for one day :(

Just like to say first that i have been reading the forums the last couple of weeks, this site is a great resource for anything related to the cobalts. Thanks for all the great how to guides and helpful tips on other posts .

Anyways I recently bought a black 2005 cobalt ss (ill post the pics and stats later) from my cousin for a great price. On the first day of driving it, the power steering randomly went out while i was driving in the city. I looked all throughout the engine to check the steering fluid, only to remember that the 2005 uses electric(Junk) steering. I look around the net and found that this seems to be a fairly common problem. My cousin called up a gm hotline, and even though the car is after the warranty,(car has 70k miles) they said if it was part, and not wear and tear that they would replace it for us. (I still find it odd that the part failed considering my cousin drives like a granny)

Well... this is where the trouble starts to be, I took my cobalt to the Scoggin-Dickey Chevy dealership in Lubbock Tx. (this actually ended up being the same dealership my cousin originally bought his stage 2 kit from). When I dropped my car off I told them of all the issues i have been having, power-steering main problem, the a/c at low speeds would make a weird whining noise(I figure a fan thats just wearing against something) , and also had some kind of fluid dripping in to the passenger floorboard area. All of these "Minor" seemingly issues seem to be quite expensive to fix. The other day while parked i heard a kind of tick noise come from the left side of my engine, mainly the belt area, when i looked i saw a small tear in middle of the belt about || thick. Well when they called me about that they told me i also need a new belt, which i agree.

ow they started off with quoting me at 860 for a new steering column (thats fine since gm 'should' pay for it) then they told me 350 to replace ac fan blower( that seems a bit high to just replace a fan) and 220 to replace my torn belt (that just seems RIDICULOUS, belts are what 50-60 max?) Then they also told me it would be 60 to reseal ac vent/heater case.

I have not done much work on engines other than cold air intakes, but i have been reading the forums for about 3 weeks now on all different stuff. How hard is it to replace a belt? (doesn't sound hard after talking to my cousin about it, need a wrench undo the tensioner and replace the belt, obviously he would step me through more detailed but is that he gist of it?) How hard is it to replace a A/C fan, and would it be possible for me to reseal ac vent/heater case leak on my own?

Also has anyone tried a dash kit from www.wooddashexperts.com ( http://www.wooddashexperts.com/custo...at=7935&page=1 )
I was looking at the red and black carbon fiber kit for 276, since alot of the parts in side the cobalt are kinda worn, (interior trim in my cobalt has seen better days ). I've done work with taking off door panels and stereo center consoles, so i imagine this kind of kit should be easy for me to install.

I know I posted a lot of stuff in this "First post". I meant to have much of this posted earlier but i wasn't able to post for about 2 weeks.

Thanks in advanced! (forgive me for misspells or bad sentences, i'm currently in class and trying to kind of contribute :P )
Stephen
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM

Well gm is now saying due to the codes produced they will not be able to cover the repair

The rep was unable to explain what the difference from a faulty part to wear and tear, which to me seems ridiculous to have any kind of problem with a car with only 70k miles. Power steering should never just randomly go out on any car, and the fact that i see so many posts online with people having the same problem really irritates me. 860$ is a lot of money to pay for a faulty part :/ . My plan now is to find a lot of similar posts online and other evidence of others having a similar problem and try a small claims court or something.... I don't even really know where to start Has anyone heard of any sort of possible recall or anything on the electric steering?
Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM

im still waiting for them to recall there electric steering wheel thats why i havent fixed it but when i took it to the dealer they said it was a fuse that blew out wich caused another fuse to go i dont know if u have electronics on u'r steering wheel i do all that went out as well as my horn and airbag