Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problem with body panel fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada Problem with body panel fit?

Is any one else having problems with body panel fit. My ss sc 06 has 230 km on it and the front drivers quater and the door are rubbing right at the flare near the bottom. I have already been to the dealer and scheduled my car in. It just want to know if anyone else has similar problems?
Old 12-01-2005, 12:32 AM

i've had a problem with the gap in between the headlights and the front bumper...i know someone else with a non s/c ss that has the same problem....dealer couldn't fix my problem. i also have a terrible rattling noise in my driver door.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:39 AM

how hard are u taking the car in cornering, are u cornering higher than above the suggested speed? if so that would be the reason why the body panels are not staying alligned, strut tower bars will help from chassis flex. also upgraded front and rear sway bars and a good set of performance shocks,
Old 12-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by pdmntman
Is any one else having problems with body panel fit. My ss sc 06 has 230 km on it and the front drivers quater and the door are rubbing right at the flare near the bottom. I have already been to the dealer and scheduled my car in. It just want to know if anyone else has similar problems?
Had the same problem, adjusted the position of the quarter panel and applied some touch up paint from the dealer to the area whey they were rubbing.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Banned

Look at my pictures in my gallery, my front fender was rubbing on my bumper cover and the paint just fell out.

After waitng through a bunch of dealer BS they finally fixed it.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moved to problems. Sounds like a problem to me.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:37 AM

The car seems to do that. My trunk always seemed a tad off to me...
Old 12-02-2005, 12:53 PM

yea my front bumper is slightly off, along wit i think one of my door handles.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:23 PM
360 L337 User

the front driverside quarter and the hood on my car sticks up a little.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:09 AM

As far as cornering at high speeds that would be a no. with the stock tires that come the ss sc I m happy to keep it straight at 20 km on snow. Thanks for the info all
Old 12-03-2005, 02:42 AM

my paint chipped at the bottom of the driver front quarter, i haven't had the time to take it in, it's not really noticeable but it still pisses me off...
Old 12-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Banned

Bummer, no visible defects on mine yet except on the top of the passener side of the car where my girlfriends watch rub against it... It can buff out when I pull it out for the spring and get it detailed by the dealership.
Old 12-03-2005, 07:48 AM

I hate to say it, but these little things are a big reason people buy rice. Go to any rice dealer and look at the fit and finish and compare it to any American car. If you say you can't see a differance, you are a liar. I have been an autobody repairman for 30 years, so I feel qualified to make this statement. That said, I own a Cobalt SS and love it. I looked at a few rice cars and couldn't bring mysalf to buy one. I know a good bodyman, so some of the fit issues are taken care of and some I will live with.
I hope this dosen't **** too many people off,
Dennis
Old 12-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by denniss
I hate to say it, but these little things are a big reason people buy rice. Go to any rice dealer and look at the fit and finish and compare it to any American car. If you say you can't see a differance, you are a liar. I have been an autobody repairman for 30 years, so I feel qualified to make this statement. That said, I own a Cobalt SS and love it. I looked at a few rice cars and couldn't bring mysalf to buy one. I know a good bodyman, so some of the fit issues are taken care of and some I will live with.
Dennis
I agree with you 100%.

I'm a valet. I drive SO many cars every day. Different cars certianly have different feels. However, anymore, it's so hard to tell. Like Jaguars are Fords, Mercedes are Chrysler. It's crazy. It's just all in your taste. But the body differences are certainly prevalent.

Good call on that one.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM
360 L337 User

what? ^
Old 01-03-2006, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by averagewhiteboy
I agree with you 100%.

I'm a valet. I drive SO many cars every day. Different cars certianly have different feels. However, anymore, it's so hard to tell. Like Jaguars are Fords, Mercedes are Chrysler. It's crazy. It's just all in your taste. But the body differences are certainly prevalent.

Good call on that one.

Originally Posted by denniss
Dennis
Agreed, I'm happy with my Cobalt for the most part, and will always buy american. (also my dad and grandpa would kill me if I didn't.. dad works for GM, grandpa used to/retired). But,.. if you look at my friend's Scion tC (toyota) and my car as far as fit and finish go... you'd notice a huge difference... the difference being his car is flawless...

Ironic too... before I bought my car the dealer told me GM paid "special attention" to all the lines/ finish... I guess they didn't pay attention enough... o well, end rant... still love my Cobalt.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:43 AM
Premium Member

I've installed graphics (wraps) on more than a few Scion TC's and I would have to disagree about their fit and finish. I've noticed many mis-aligned body panels as well as the side skirts might as well be held on by velcro. Honda Elements are just as bad, if not worse because of the paper thin sheet metal they use on the roof, it's like play dough. I barely leaned on the roof of one with my hand while installing some graphics and left a huge dent (I'm 140 lbs, by the way). Meanwhile I could tap dance on the roof of just about any GM, Chrysler, or Ford without problems (except for one Chevy Venture where I pulled the stud out of the roof while removing the roof rack ). In my business I've spent many, many hours staring at the tiny little details of a variety of vehicles over the years and I have to say that GM has made huge strides in the fit and finish department and has caught up to the highly regarded imports.

With that said, the paint on my SS/SC sucks...

(I'm missing paint on the bottom driver side quarter by the door, also, but I don't see it rubbing in any way)
Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 PM

i dont drive like a maniac, it seems that the cold weather is causing my body panels to pop out in some places, there is a 1/8th inch gap in some places where one panel is higher then the other.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by beerbaron105
i dont drive like a maniac, it seems that the cold weather is causing my body panels to pop out in some places, there is a 1/8th inch gap in some places where one panel is higher then the other.
The cold weather does contract the lower side moldings and pull the front fender in towards the door in some cases. Most urethane bodykits do this. The only thing that can fix that (if it is rubbing) is to bring the back of the fender out a bit, or shim it. I had to do this on a few occasions.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by codyss
Look at my pictures in my gallery, my front fender was rubbing on my bumper cover and the paint just fell out.

After waitng through a bunch of dealer BS they finally fixed it.
My front left fender has been rubbing the drivers headlamp and chipped the paint off.
Havent been to the dealer yet to see how much of problem this is gonna be to fix.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM

i got some fitment problems, i noticed my rear bumper and taillight rub causing the paint to peel, some paint peeling where the front bumper and fender meet on the driver side. plus my door handle on the passager side does exactly retract as well as the others, it kinda sticks out more than the others(or it could be me just going crzy)
Old 01-03-2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by eazyasone23
i got some fitment problems, i noticed my rear bumper and taillight rub causing the paint to peel, some paint peeling where the front bumper and fender meet on the driver side. plus my door handle on the passager side does exactly retract as well as the others, it kinda sticks out more than the others(or it could be me just going crzy)

More than likely your handle just needs to be lubed from the inside. One thing that bothers me is people not lubing their latches and door pins.