Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problem with sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with sunroof

Well I have had my first problem with my SS. The sunroof has deceided that it doesnt want to close all the way anymore. So I got up early today and took it in. Apearently after talking to my friend (service tech at the dealer I go too) they have to take the whole headliner out to fix it. Oh well as long as the car gets fixed and everything is back to normal then Im fine with that.

On a side note though, since its going to be tomorrow before its finished they gave me a rental car...........'06 Cobalt LS Sedan. OMG what a freaking difference from my SS/SC. Its like a totally different car. One positive thing about it though is that the seats seem more comfortable.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
dont be haten the sedans jp. Thats what i drive and i love it
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To me leasing is pointless. Why get a car you want and only have it for a certian amount of time. Buying it lets you keep it fr a long time and basicly it pays for itself. Do some research
Old 09-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
To me leasing is pointless. Why get a car you want and only have it for a certian amount of time. Buying it lets you keep it fr a long time and basicly it pays for itself. Do some research

was that just random or was it related to somethign that I missed
Old 09-27-2005, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
was that just random or was it related to somethign that I missed
Thats what Im wondering. Seems very random to me.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM

Me thinks me meant to post in the other thread about buying/leasing.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by kaptainm
Me thinks me meant to post in the other thread about buying/leasing.
Yeah probably so.

To get back on topic, has anyone else had a problem with their sunroof. BTW I also am going to see if they can fix the slow passenger side window too while its there.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 PM

DUDE ... this is the FIRST problem I had as well so check it out my experience is that if this happens there may be a nipple or up rising near or around the area of the sun roof ... over time this rise affects the sun roof assembly and prevents it from working and eventually will BREAK IT ... i took mine to the dealership and they were like holy fackin shizzle ... check around your sun roof in some indirect lighting to see if you can see an uprising around the sun roof and make sure to check good ... took me 2 and a half weeks to get my baby back with a new sun roof assembly /sigh they fixed it then scratched the car then blammed it on me then I told them STFU so they fixed it then put 30 miles on the car then gave it back to near no gas ... ah dealerships i love to hate em
Old 09-27-2005, 03:28 PM

Well I have a good friend that is a tech at this dealership so if they screw it up I will be able to find out who did it. Heck my friend may be the one to work on it he said. Im not worried about it taking too long with this dealer. They are one of the largest in the DFW area.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 PM

hope it goes good cus being in a rental for a while is really annoying ... they gave me a mailbu for the first week then a grand prix the second ... both were top notch on the rainbow scale
Old 09-27-2005, 05:38 PM

happened to my car too, the sun roof was stuck open for about 3-4 weeks before the dealer decided to order the parts and install a new sun roof.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:42 PM

mine was stuck for about a week before they got the parts in ... I also asked the after market parts dude while I was there if the staged upgrades would be under warrenty and he said that any gm product would be covered under the warrenty since the the warrenty is from gm
Old 09-27-2005, 07:15 PM

thats wikkid did he know when the stages kits are goin to be coming out?? and for how much??
Old 09-27-2005, 07:23 PM

he said " you would wanna know what the dealership charges?" I was confused when he said that and then I thought duh mark up ... he said that I should contact him in 2 months which at that time was last month to see if he could get what the cost listing was but I never made a post about it because I didn't wanna start this huge flame about it without any proof or prices but since I am taking my car for the 3000~4000 mile checkup I will ask for him to see if he has any numbers we can look forward to ... I will also ask about that intake and catback exhaust listed on that gm site

http://www.gm.com/company/gmtunersou..._chevrolet.htm
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 PM

My sunroof did the same thing plastic piece broke on the track on drivers side took it to Power Chevy at Superstition Springs service manager Scott got fixed for me in less than 24 hrs. Only had to drive the '05 Malibu to and from work thank God What a POS From now on Power Chevy will work on my SS
Old 09-27-2005, 09:28 PM

hmm looks like im changing dealerships ... billheard has some good rep and they are building a 300,000 sq/ft or something dealership right of the freeway right down the street but in sheer contrast I know there are a few bones in that closet of their's ... I was originally going to pic up my SS at power as well and was working with them to get sh*t done but they keep saying we can do this and that but it ended with me leaving with a quote then trashing it ... they wanted 500 bucks for tiny insurance WTF IS THAT
Old 09-27-2005, 11:16 PM

*Update*

I got a call today from Reliable Chevy and the part they ordered for the sunroof wasnt what they ended up needing like they thought. Turns out that the part needed is on backorder from GM so they are in the process of serching every dealer in Texas.

So the fix has gone from 1 day to possibly a week they say. I guess that means I get to cruise around in the most stripped out Cobalt LS sedan ever for another week. I just cant stand not have creature conforts like power locks,and power windows. But at least this car helped me to figure out what the little blank unused spot under the stock radio is. Its where they put the "Passenger Airbag off and on light" lol. On a side note, I wonder why the SS doesnt have that little feature?

Well my service advisor said there was a small chance the car could still be ready tomorrow so my fingers are crossed.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
hmm looks like im changing dealerships ... billheard has some good rep and they are building a 300,000 sq/ft or something dealership right of the freeway right down the street but in sheer contrast I know there are a few bones in that closet of their's ... I was originally going to pic up my SS at power as well and was working with them to get sh*t done but they keep saying we can do this and that but it ended with me leaving with a quote then trashing it ... they wanted 500 bucks for tiny insurance WTF IS THAT
Don't know tiny insurance is but I actually bought my SS from Bill Heard Kelly Williams was my sale's rep he got me in mine (when Brown and Brown said they would and kept jerkin' me around) But I can't see my self driven 30 miles to get my car serviced when I could drive 6 for good service.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:31 PM

HAHAHAHAHA omg i wrote that reply right after getting off work i ment tint insurance ... my sales rep at bill heard was ron daly he was cool and all and was real patient with me because I couldnt decide between a red ss with black int. or a black ss with a sun roof and xm with red/black interior course I had to get the black one
Old 09-28-2005, 03:30 PM

The problem I had with my sunroof was the installer at the factory left an extra screw in the track when it was put in. I'm guessing something like "oh shiat i dropped a screw, can't see it, oh well, get another." Took me 2 minutes to fish it out of the toight little space that it was in, but I got it out, and the sunroof has been fine since. But I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:38 PM

Still waiting on my update from the dealer today. My Service Adviser said he would call between 2-4pm to let me know what was going on, on a day to day basis. I will update as soon as I hear anything.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 PM

uh oh beastlyTA looks like you may be in for a rough ride like I had /sigh lets hope you get good news
Old 09-28-2005, 05:14 PM

I have a weird problem that happens every once and a while. When I go to vent my sunroof, nothing will happen. I push the button but I get no response.

If I push harder, the entire thing will open, but the regular vent setting won't work. After leaving it alone for 10 minutes it'll magically work again.

Anyone else had that?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:20 PM

I have ... dunno wtf it's from ... I know that you can't vent the roof when driving cus it will just open all the way and it seems to only wanna vent when your at a complete stop other times I have noticed that it will only wanna open all the way and I can't tell what configuration the car wants to be in during those situations ie. all windows open or closed?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
uh oh beastlyTA looks like you may be in for a rough ride like I had /sigh lets hope you get good news
Yeah looks like.

*Update*

I just got a call from my dealer and the part is for sure backorded and they are doing what he called "spac case" or something like that to try to find the part. He said it could be up to a week until they get the part in and installed. Oh well at least they gave me a car to drive even if it is a stripped out Cobalt LS sedan ever.

Quick Reply: Problem with sunroof