Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Problem with the supercharger pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with the supercharger pulley

Ok Before my car was totaled i ran into a slight issue where the screws holding the pulley onto the hub broke at the same time causing my pulley to fly off.
So i changed everything out to ZZP because everyone said they'd never had an issue.
Years go by no problems.
Im pulling my car into the drive way and I noticed when i rev'd it up slightly i was hearing a rattle under the hud. So i shut off the car and took a look.
I discovered that the pulley was missing 3 of the screws i had tightened down when i replaced the pulley for the first time. And it was causing the pulley to be off balance.

So i went down to the hardware store and got some new screws to tighten it up, until i can order the new ZZP screws tomorrow.
But im starting to think maybe there is a rattle or the snout is off center causeing these screws to become lose, stress then break off.
And on top of that when i tentioned my belt it messed something up and the belt is sqeaking a tad. So i put some crap that suppose to re energize belts or what ever to take care of the sqeak hopefully in the morning its gone.
but im getting frustrated.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bearing is probably messed from running it with the screws missing.Check the snout bearing for play by removing the belt and seeing if you can wiggle the pully shaft at all.

My advise is to use locktite on the bolt if they dont come with any on.
Blue would be advisable so that you will be able to remove them again without heat or drilling the heads off.

If the pulley is off center which is highly unlikely you will see it vibrating up and down.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 PM

Make sure the belt is on right at the bottom pulley under the snout.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
Make sure the belt is on right at the bottom pulley under the snout.
you were right on with that one. I went and took a second look and it was off center. so i slipped it back on and it took care of the sqeak.
+7 invisible e props lol

Originally Posted by Coblasts
The bearing is probably messed from running it with the screws missing.Check the snout bearing for play by removing the belt and seeing if you can wiggle the pully shaft at all.

My advise is to use locktite on the bolt if they dont come with any on.
Blue would be advisable so that you will be able to remove them again without heat or drilling the heads off.

If the pulley is off center which is highly unlikely you will see it vibrating up and down.
i checked everything when i pulled it off and everything seemed to be fine. I dunno Maybe I just didnt torq down the screws enough. But I am going to get some lock tight to hold everything on. Thanks for the help

Last edited by TheYellowSS; 07-29-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-30-2008, 06:27 PM

I win.
Had that happen to me before.