Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Smelly AC and Fans?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smelly AC and Fans?

The best way to describe the smell is like a dirty, damp dishcloth. It's pretty damn disgusting to smell that when you're expecting cool and refreshing air. Has anyone else experienced this? The car is going in on Tuesday for the following and I am wondering If I should add the smelly air to the list?

1. Driver's side quarter panel is loose by the A pillar. Tapping it causes it to ding against the frame and actually chip away the paint. I've filled it in with touch-up for now.

2. Driver's side quarter panel and front bumper are misaligned. Really easy to tell as the reflection of the paint changes dramatically when looking at them separately.

3. Rattling Sun Roof. Dealer already replaced the entire sunroof glass 2 months ago. Guess they'll have to do it again.

4. Squeaky driver's seat. Even the smallest motion of my ass makes this thing creak like crazy. Its coming from the area where you adjust the seat height. Oh and I have the regular seats.

2007 SS/SC with 8000KM
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I have the same for the first minute or so the fans are on. I thought it smelled like a gym locker, but dirty dishcloth works too. If you figure it out, please let me know.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Most All A/C's will do that.

Read this. It is normal.

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/heati.../aa071601a.htm
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you turn your air off when you turn your car off or do you leave it on?
Old 09-06-2007, 09:36 PM

perhaps a new cabin filter? I know on alot of cars this helps, not sure if cobalts have them though
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM

i talked to a gm tech yesterday about this, he said spraying lysol or oust in the cowl vents, while the ac was going at full blast would help
Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
have you never been in a car with A/C before? lol

this is a very common thing to happen for just a short time when your A/C starts up.
One thing that causes this alot is if you dont use your A/C very often, it will often smell bad when you start it up after a long time of no use.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM

That must be it. I use my AC about once a month so I'm sure that combined with the summer temperatures is causing the microbes to grow like crazy.

I'll grab some Lysol and show em some love hah.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 PM

My old car never had this problem, so it bothered me...but my old car, I ran the AC all the time. This one I never do. Thanks all!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 PM

I have suggested the cabin air filter replacment to the dealer many times to no avail!!!!!!!!!they simply will not replace it. They would rather replace the whole thing!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:46 PM

lol....kinda eliminates the point of a filter doesn't' it? I tried to find a replacement at the store but couldn't...I was just gonna do it myself
Old 09-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Odor Diagnosis
Step
Action
Yes
No

DEFINITION: Odor originating or noticed through the HVAC system.

Were you sent here from Symptoms or another diagnostic table?
Go to Step 2
Go to Symptoms - HVAC Systems - Manual

Sit inside the vehicle.
Close all of the doors and windows.
Start the engine.
Allow the engine to idle at normal operating temperature.
Select the maximum blower speed.
Select the PANEL air outlet mode.
Select the coldest temperature setting.
Cycle through all of the blower speeds, modes, and temperatures to define what type of odor is present.
• Musty smell

• Coolant smell

• Oil smell

Does the odor have a musty smell?
Go to Step 3
Go to Step 8

Inspect the HVAC filter and the air inlet grille for debris.

Is debris present?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5

Remove any debris.

Is the action complete?
Go to Step 15
--

Inspect for wet carpeting.

Is the carpet wet?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 8

Inspect for the following conditions:

• Water leaks around the windshield

• Blockage of the HVAC module drain

• Leaks around the door seals

Is a leak present?
Go to Step 7
Go to Step 15

Repair the leak as necessary.

Is the repair complete?
Go to Step 15
--

Does the odor have a coolant smell?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 12

Inspect the cooling system for leaks. Refer to Loss of Coolant .

Is a leak present?
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 12

Inspect for coolant leaking inside the vehicle or for a film build-up on the windshield.

Is the condition present?
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 15

Replace the heater core. Refer to Heater Core Replacement .

Is the repair complete?
Go to Step 15
--

Does the odor have an oily smell?
Go to Step 13
Go to Step 15

Inspect the engine compartment for any leaks. Refer to the following procedures:
• Oil Leak Diagnosis for the 2.0L engine or Oil Leak Diagnosis for the 2.2L engine

• Oil Leak Diagnosis for the 2.4L engine.

• Fluid Leak Diagnosis for the 4T45-E transmission

Repair any oil leaks.
Is the repair complete?
Go to Step 15
--

A musty odor can be caused by mold or mildew build-up on the evaporator or the heater core or inside of the HVAC module. Refer to Odor Correction .

Is the action complete?
Go to Step 15
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you find and correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 2

Document ID# 1978046
2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Air Conditioning Odor (Install Evaporator Core Dryer Kit and Apply Cooling Coil Coating) #99-01-39-004B - (05/29/2007)

Models: 1993-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn)

2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

All Equipped with Air Conditioning

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the vehicle applications, model years, correction procedure, parts information and tool numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-01-39-004A (Section 01 -- HVAC).

Condition
Some customers may comment about musty odors emitted from the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) system at vehicle start-up in hot, humid conditions.

Cause
This condition may be caused by condensate build-up on the evaporator core, which does not evaporate by itself in high humidity conditions. The odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant musty odor into the passenger compartment.

There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak into the interior of the vehicle or foreign material in the HVAC air distribution system. Follow the procedures in SI for identifying and correcting water leaks and air inlet inspection.

The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the odor source has been determined to be microbial growth on the evaporator core inside the HVAC module.

Correction
Many vehicles currently incorporate an afterblow function within the HVAC control module software. The afterblow feature, when enabled, employs the HVAC blower fan to dry the evaporator after vehicle shut down and this function will inhibit microbial growth. Technicians are to confirm that the customer concern is evaporator core odor and that the vehicle has the imbedded afterblow feature, as defined in the SI document for that specific vehicle model, model year and specific HVAC option. Refer to SI for enabling the afterblow function. Vehicles being delivered in areas prone to high humidity conditions may benefit from having the afterblow enabled calibration installed prior to any customer comment.

Important: If the vehicle is not factory equipped with the imbedded afterblow enable feature, it may be added with the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module Kit (P/N 12497910 or AC Delco 15-5876).

Important: When installing the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module, you MUST use the included electrical splice connectors to ensure a proper splice. Complete detailed installation instructions and self testing procedures are supplied with the kit. If necessary, the Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module may be installed underhood if it is protected from extreme heat and water splash areas.

To immediately remove the evaporator core odor on all suspect vehicles, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its re-occurrence. To accomplish this, perform the following procedure:

Vehicle and Applicator Tool Preparation
The evaporator core must be dry . This may be accomplished by disabling the compressor and running the blower fan on the recirc heat setting for an extended period of time. Note: Compressor engagement will cause the evaporator core to remain wet and will prevent full adherence of the Coiling Coil Coating to the evaporator core surfaces.
Verify that the air conditioning drain hose is not clogged and place a drain pan beneath the vehicle.
Place a protective cover over the carpet below the evaporator core.
Remove the cabin air filter, if equipped, and cover the opening prior to applying the Cooling Coil Coating, as the product may clog the filter. If the cabin air filter appears to have little or no remaining life, suggest a replacement to your customer.
If the HVAC module has a blower motor cooling tube, be careful NOT TO SPRAY THE COOLING COIL COATING INTO THE BLOWER MOTOR COOLING TUBE .
Attach the Flexible Applicator Pressure Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) to a compressed air line operating at 586 kPa (85 psi) to 793 kPa (115 psi).
Shake the bottle of Cooling Coil Coating well. Screw the bottle onto the cap on the applicator tool's pick-up tube. NOTE: The pick-up tube is designed for 120 ml (4 oz) and 240 ml (8 oz) bottles and should coil slightly in the bottom of a 120 ml (4 oz) bottle.
Use one of the following three methods to apply the Cooling Coil Coating.
Important: If the Pressure Applicator Spray Tool (J-43810-20A) is not available, the Cooling Coil Coating is also available in an aerosol can (P/N 12377951 (in Canada, 10953503)).

Application Through Blower Motor Control Module Opening
• Remove the blower motor control module (blower motor resistor). Refer to the applicable procedure in SI.

• Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.

• Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor resistor) opening.

• Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.

• When the application is complete, install the blower motor blower motor control module (blower motor control module).

Application Through Blower Motor Opening
• Remove the blower motor. Refer to the applicable blower motor removal procedure in SI.

• Clean any debris or foreign material from inside the HVAC module and on the evaporator core surface.

• Apply the Cooling Coil Coating directly to the evaporator core through the blower motor opening.

• Use the flexible wand to direct the Cooling Coil Coating over the entire evaporator core and surrounding gasket surfaces.

• When the application is complete, install the blower motor.

Application Through a Hole in the HVAC Module
• If neither of the two previous application methods are available, it may be necessary to drill a hole in the HVAC module.

• Locate an area of the HVAC module between the blower motor and the evaporator core. Drill a 10 mm (3/8 in) hole in the HVAC module. Use caution to keep the drill clear of the evaporator core and the blower motor fan.

• With the air distribution vents closed and the blower motor fan speed on HIGH, insert the applicator tool into the hole and spray the Cooling Coil Coating into the airstream toward the evaporator core.

• Use a GM approved RTV sealant to plug the hole in the HVAC module.

After the Cooling Coil Coating application is complete, start and run the vehicle for approximately 10 minutes, with the compressor disabled, HVAC mode set to Recirculate/Max, heat set to full warm, blower motor fan speed on high, and one window open approximately 12 mm (1/2 in). This cures the Cooling Coil Coating onto the evaporator core surface.
While the engine is running, rinse the applicator tool with warm water to prolong the life of the tool. Be sure to spray warm water through the nozzle to rinse out any residual Cooling Coil Coating still in the capillary pick up tube, otherwise it will dry and clog the applicator tool. Also remove the small green valve from the bottle cap and rinse it thoroughly while rolling it between two fingers and then reinstall it. If this valve is clogged , the Cooling Coil Coating will not flow through the applicator tool.
Shut off the engine and enable the compressor again.
Verify proper HVAC system operation.
Remove the protective cover from inside the vehicle.
Remove the drain pan from underneath the vehicle.
Reinstall the cabin air filter if necessary.
Parts Information
Important: The Cooling Coil Coating listed below is the only GM approved product for use under warranty as an evaporator core disinfectant and for the long term control of evaporator core microbial growth.

Part Description
GM Part Number
SPX Kent-Moore Part Number

Cooling Coil Coating (CCC) Kit (with flexible applicator tool and 1 bottle of Cooling Coil Coating)
J43810-A

Cooling Coil Coating Flexible Applicator Tool only
N/A
J-43810-20A

Refill for Cooling Coil Coating Applicator Kit (2 x 120 ml (4 oz) Bottles of CCC)

(N/A in Canada, use SPX Kent-Moore J-43810-4)
J-43810-4

Refill for Cooling Coil Coating Applicator Kit (1 x 120 ml (4 oz) Bottle of CCC)
N/A
J-43810-30

Cooling Coil Coating (1 x 180 ml (6 oz) Aerosol Can of CCC)
12377951 (In Canada use 10953503)
N/A

Electronic Evaporator Dryer Module Kit (one per vehicle)
12497910 (AC Delco 15-5876)
N/A

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

D3316*
Apply Cooling Coil Coating and Install Electronic Evaporator Dryer Kit
0.8 hr

*This labor operation number is for bulletin use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you need a replacement cabin filter you can get them over at crateenginedepot.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:30 AM

yea check your cabin air filter it's just behind your glove box... also.. whats up with your car why so many problems you get into a wreck with it ?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Well since there is a GM bulletin, I'll let the dealer handle it. Looks like I'll be driving an Outlander for a week or so lol. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nich7601
I have the same for the first minute or so the fans are on. I thought it smelled like a gym locker, but dirty dishcloth works too. If you figure it out, please let me know.
AGREED... MY CAR SMELLS LIKE ass when its first turned on..
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM

I'm taking it on Tuesday and will update you guys on what the dealer says.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM

yyea they do smell at first i thought it was my cigarettes smell dat did it now its been almost two weeks since i quit and i still smell dat nasty air
Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sergio
The best way to describe the smell is like a dirty, damp dishcloth. It's pretty damn disgusting to smell that when you're expecting cool and refreshing air. Has anyone else experienced this? The car is going in on Tuesday for the following and I am wondering If I should add the smelly air to the list?

1. Driver's side quarter panel is loose by the A pillar. Tapping it causes it to ding against the frame and actually chip away the paint. I've filled it in with touch-up for now.

2. Driver's side quarter panel and front bumper are misaligned. Really easy to tell as the reflection of the paint changes dramatically when looking at them separately.

3. Rattling Sun Roof. Dealer already replaced the entire sunroof glass 2 months ago. Guess they'll have to do it again.

4. Squeaky driver's seat. Even the smallest motion of my ass makes this thing creak like crazy. Its coming from the area where you adjust the seat height. Oh and I have the regular seats.

2007 SS/SC with 8000KM

If the cabin air filter has never been replaced then that is what you are smelling. You should change it about every 10k.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM

That's the whole point..................the dealer won't replace it. They want to replace the whole unit!!!!