Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

smoke out the tail pipe ( need help please)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke out the tail pipe ( need help please)

04 ion redline

Mods: 2.7 pully, 80's, zzpmidlength, magnaflow catback( all just rescently added ),hptuners ( rescently added the o4 o5 fix for the intake manifold gasket also because my dipstick was shooting out.. i am going to also get an exhaust crankcase relefe tube so i can suck some crankcase pressure out of the motor so hopefully it helps the rings and gaskets seat better having less pressure on them and having some negative vacume.)

i had a buddy of mine driving behind me and when i was driving he said i had a little bit of white smoke( right before i punched it around 4k)( white he thinks he said it could maby have been blue...very fine line between the two) comming out of the exhaust. my compression came back 180 180 180 163( all are ish #'s) now the last cylinder i know is low compression but since all of them are low would u think it is my rings or would u susspect the headgasket? i have had a few opinions but i would like to ask a few more people and just see what kind of awncers and why i should do one or the other first.

rilly if its the head gasket i would be happy but if you susspect rings just tell me so i dont waste my time doing headgasket for nothing. if its a head gasket i can do it when i put on a ported head and if its rings i have to dig down into it and jsut not lookin forward to that. i havent had a chance to check watter/antifreeze but i am almost posative i am not loosing any oil because everytime i seem to have the same amount( i check like 3 times a week just to get a glace at the oil) and i dont know if its just that its so small i just dont see it on the dipstick or what. A leakdown test is possable but i need time at work first and rilly i hate doing them lol i just hate turning the motor by hand but if thats what i need to conferm whats rong then i might as well do it i guess.

could valves be my problem or is it narrowed down to the rings and or a head gasket?
Also he said that its definatly some sort of oil he said because when he turned on his wipers it smeared so it could be either antifreeze or oil... does gas smear like oil on a winshield? right now i am not properly tuned so my afr is 10flat when i get into it so theres alot of black smoke when i get on her.( barley do it but i wanted to know if he could smell oil or antifreeze .. he said he just could smell gas.)
Old 10-26-2010, 04:42 PM

put a little oil in cyl #4 while its warm and repeat the test, numbrs go up its the ring
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM

yeah lol i dont want to do that lol i dont want it to be rings but im almost serton it is so what can ya do.... besides pay someone to steal it and clame it was stolen and let them blow it up..... but i wouldent do that lol
Old 10-27-2010, 12:42 PM

My buddy had the rings go in one cylinder on his '04 redline. It was pissing out smoke when he got on it. His compression was way low somewhere around 15 on one cylinder and that's not the case on yours. He has about 100k miles. Take it for what it's worth.