Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Sunroof Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunroof Rattle

I just brought this up in a previous thread, but didn't want to make that the focus of it...I have an 07 SS/SC, and the sunroof rattles like crazy when closed. It happens over bumps or even while cruising. I have put silicone on the weather stripping, and it takes care of it for the time being. But after a while it starts up again. Anybody else experience this?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, the cover for the sunroof is what rattles. It usually does it when it is slightly open because it is not fully seated in the weatherstripping. Don't worry about it.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM

I had the problem with the sunroof itself, took it in and had my whole sunroof assembly replaced under warrenty.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:06 PM

you can try checking all the bolts on the sunroof, occasionally they can be loose and cause the problem.

other than that, i've had the best luck using the silicone spray like you did, in combination with keeping the metal the gasket touches clean and waxed (teflon wax sucked on the exterior, but does a pretty good job here)
Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just keep using the silicone. I probably should have went with my gut an not ordered the sunroof. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:26 PM

I have a problem with my sunroof but its not making any noise, its seems to still be up in the back a little when i have it completely closed. No rain water or when I wash it comes inside of the car but it just doesn't lay down flat all the time anyone having that problem? Thinking about taking it in to the dealership...
Old 07-08-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by KADSATX
I have a problem with my sunroof but its not making any noise, its seems to still be up in the back a little when i have it completely closed. No rain water or when I wash it comes inside of the car but it just doesn't lay down flat all the time anyone having that problem? Thinking about taking it in to the dealership...
I've noticed that with mine as well...you can feel the weather stripping above the lip a bit in the back. Also when I close the drivers door, I've noticed the back of the sunroof jumps up when the door shuts. (I've never had a sunroof on my cars until now, so I don't know if that's a common thing among them.)

How long have you had your '07? Because the first month or two my sunroof wasn't making any noise, then it started acting up.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:12 AM

It jumps up because of the air pressure created from closing the door.You will notice it does not do this when the window is down and you close the door.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:14 AM

I took my car in for service for this very same thing...they replaced the whole assembly saying that they had a few in for service for the same exact thing and GM was producing deffective sunroof glass that it was a few inches too big all the way around casuing a rubbing problem...they put the new glass in for me and it fixed it just fine no more rattles or anything.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by L.P.
I took my car in for service for this very same thing...they replaced the whole assembly saying that they had a few in for service for the same exact thing and GM was producing deffective sunroof glass that it was a few inches too big all the way around casuing a rubbing problem...they put the new glass in for me and it fixed it just fine no more rattles or anything.
If that's the case and it's really defective, I think I might stop down the dealer and see what they say about it.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by LS1Hawk
If that's the case and it's really defective, I think I might stop down the dealer and see what they say about it.
trust me they should be able to fix it...just take it in and it will all be good.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by LS1Hawk
I've noticed that with mine as well...you can feel the weather stripping above the lip a bit in the back. Also when I close the drivers door, I've noticed the back of the sunroof jumps up when the door shuts. (I've never had a sunroof on my cars until now, so I don't know if that's a common thing among them.)

How long have you had your '07? Because the first month or two my sunroof wasn't making any noise, then it started acting up.
I got mine in April had not problems until last month...Guess from what is being said on here I'll take it in to see what the Dealership says...Sorry for the late response..