Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Uh-oh, engine rattling noise... sometimes..

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh-oh, engine rattling noise... sometimes..

So today i was out at lunch waiting in the parking lot with my friends listening to music eating pizza. When it was time to go back, i started the car and my friend asked me to throw the pizza box out and so i did, got out in front of the car and noticed a noise. Popped the hood and it sounded like a belt or chain tensioner was broken. After that we simply drove back to school and it sounded and drove normal the whole drive back. I parked the car waited till i could show my teacher, started the car and it ran normally, tried again a few times, still fine so then i gave up and drove back to the normal school parking lot and then i heard the noise again, drove it back and the noise was still there and stayed there. I had my tech teacher to take a look, he says cam gear chain tensioner as well. I shut it down, started it up, noise was gone. Later on i started it up, drove it home and tried hard to replicate the problem, still no noise. I looked up the problem but as usual i can't find anyone who has the exact same problem to mine. The only videos i can find are with people who have the problem all the time no matter what. My problem is only SOMETIMES and sounds normal when i rev it. The engine was a little hot both times it happened (around 90 degrees the first time and like 100 the second). Oil looks pretty much new on it and is almost full, havent check the coolant, i had a local enthusiast look at my car before all this and he said i needed a new intercooler pump or something like that.

I heard a remedy might also be something called the balance shafts?

Some info about the car, 2006 stage 2 cobalt ss/sc with 183k km on it. I dont beat on it too often, (every other drive), i usually let it warm up a bit before driving, never redline it on a cold engine. Owned for about 2 and 1/2 months. Drives perfect other than needs a wheel bearing. Recently ran a 14.3 on winter tires at the drag stip (first time at a drag strip with my first car), if you look on my youtube channel you will see.

ANY help would be appreciated. Im willing to do work myself so long as its not too risky or me having to re adjust the timing. If i do end up having to do that, if it doesn't cost too much, than id cam it. The reason i dont do it right now is because i dont know how long i want to keep the car, problem free or not, im just not the biggest fan of it, (hate the fwd and the exhaust note). So what does everyone suggest i do? I REALLY dont wanna take it into a shop bc i know they either 1. Won't find the problem 2. Try and make me buy a new engine (**** that) or 3. try to get me to fork out a **** ton of money for a temporary fix. So what do you guys think i should do? I dont have much money being a highschool student getting paid minimum wage, need my car, cant afford a different one that i like really.

VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM WHEN I HAPPENS, sorry for the shitty video, i wasn't really trying to put out a quality video.

Video of when it runs fine (taken today after the problem happened and i couldn't replicate it.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wicz...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by makememad; 06-02-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: forgot to add a link
Old 06-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Timing chain tensioner. Get a new one, be happy, yay.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts
As previously stated, timing chain tensioner. 50 bucks from Crate Engine Depot. 5 minutes of your time. No bent valves. Smiles for days
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's sounds like the timing chain tensioner. 31 bucks from cod or amazon. Mine did the same thing it made the sound for a while then stopped and it hasn't made the sound sense then but I bought the tensioner anyways to be ready when I hear it again
Old 06-02-2014, 04:29 PM

And make sure to get a GM tensioner and not one from Crappy Tire
Old 06-07-2014, 01:46 AM

Thanks goodness!

So happy i stumbled upon this post, my balt started making the sound a week after my dealer warranty expired and I was in a small panic thinking it may be something major brewing. after reading this i can sleep a little better tonight!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Is this easy to replace on a lnf?
Old 06-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Premium Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 09outlander
And make sure to get a GM tensioner and not one from Crappy Tire
I wouldn't even buy a air freshener from them
Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by mr bill
I wouldn't even buy a air freshener from them
I work at crappy tire :/. The products aren't THAT bad, certainly better than ebay brand sh*t. Not saying i would buy many things from them but its not as bad as you think.