Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Windshield Replacement Cost & Strategy

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Replacement Cost & Strategy

Hey,

I have a 2005 Pontiac Pursuit Sedan. My windshield cracked during the winter and needs to be replaced. I don't have glass insurance.

The dealer quoted me $650 Canadian ($590USD) for replacement, and the lowest quote I got from any other place was about $570CAD ($515USD).

These prices seem extremely high for a windshield replacement for an economy sedan. A few people have instructed me to inform them that I don't have insurance when looking for quotes on prices, but I have been doing that every time anyway.

Does anyone here know what I should expect for pricing as far as Pursuit/Cobalt windshield replacement is concerned?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by brandon272; 05-09-2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:10 PM

grah?
Old 05-09-2006, 12:03 AM

how do you not have glass insurance on a brand new car?
i would sign up for it, and then use it
Old 05-09-2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by tiny
how do you not have glass insurance on a brand new car?
i would sign up for it, and then use it
I agree. See if you can re-do your current policy with a $0 ded. glass, or shop around for new insurance. It's not like they inspect your car before they insure you.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:35 AM

Uhh... That's called insurance fraud.

I have a problem going against the grain of the system. If I lacked the judgment to get the glass coverage to begin with, I should have to pay the price. It's sad to see that other people would lack the nads to face the music if they were in the same situation.

Does anyone who isn't an advocate of insurance fraud know the approximate price range of a new windshield for a Cobalt or Pursuit?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
insurance rips you off anyways. nothing wrong with ripping them off from time to time
Old 05-09-2006, 12:44 AM

Insurance rips you off? I'm a 20 year old male and pay $110 CAD ($98USD) a month to keep my vehicle comprehensively insured with $1,000,000 total liability coverage and a $200 deductible. Glass coverage, had I gotten it, wouldn't have been that much more. I hardly think that the insurance is a rip off.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:52 AM

i pay 220 a month because they are ******* sterotyping sexists.... and thats with the perfect driver discounts i get through my parents. i can hardly afford to insure my 4 cylinder 2.4L car just because im a male between the ages of 16-25 and i live in a heavily populated state. At work i deal with insurance companies. All they try to do is screw you over and try to deny coverage to their customers.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:07 AM

My insurance company is government-owned and doesn't discriminate based on age. Everyone starts out at the same level and you only pay more if you are at-fault in accidents or accumulate a lot of traffic violations. But I guess that's what I get for living in Canada because CANADA IS DA BOMB.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by brandon272
Uhh... That's called insurance fraud.

I have a problem going against the grain of the system. If I lacked the judgment to get the glass coverage to begin with, I should have to pay the price. It's sad to see that other people would lack the nads to face the music if they were in the same situation.

Does anyone who isn't an advocate of insurance fraud know the approximate price range of a new windshield for a Cobalt or Pursuit?

Thanks.
i guess you answered your own question then huh?
just go get it fixed and pay out of pocket
sucks that you lack judgement to get glass insurance on a brand new car
Old 05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned

My insurance company is government-owned and doesn't discriminate based on age. Everyone starts out at the same level and you only pay more if you are at-fault in accidents or accumulate a lot of traffic violations. But I guess that's what I get for living in Canada because CANADA IS DA BOMB.

you failed to mention that because it's governemnt owned, any work that gets down goes through the LOWEST BIDDER... same with your health insurance...
Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
call the number on the back of the next rock truck you see
tell them the date the hwy the nearest exit number
then tell them you had kids in the car when it happened
they will pick up the bill

has worked before
Old 05-09-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
you failed to mention that because it's governemnt owned, any work that gets down goes through the LOWEST BIDDER... same with your health insurance...
Uhh... You don't know what you're talking about. The vast majority of autobody shops in the region are accredited by the insurance company and I can get work done at whichever I please.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 PM

Uhh... You don't know what you're talking about. The vast majority of autobody shops in the region are accredited by the insurance company and I can get work done at whichever I please.
Not that I disagree that Canada is the Bomb, but you should have your fact correct before you go touting about Canada on an international forum. I'm from Alberta, and our insurance system is run through the private sector. My insurance is $130 CAD/year for 3 vehicles (including my 05 Coupe LS with full coverage including glass) and house insurance.

To the comment that government work is done by the lowest bidder, I'm not sure how the insurance works in provinces with gov't insurance (like BC), but I do know that in Alberta our healthcare system is very good. There is no such thing as the "lowest" bidder, because all healthcare is run through the government. This does not include "cosmetic" or "unneccesary" procedures such as laser eye surgery, we also have private diagnostic facilities, which you can pay extra above and beyond to use (MRI, etc).

Some talk about the wait times in waiting rooms, and it's true, in some hospitals you do wait up to three hours (from personal experience, I'm sure there is longer). But every time that I've been to emergency room (I coach rugby, so I'm there quite a bit with players), the wait is usually no more than 1 hr.

As to the cost of the windshield, I'm pretty sure that is the price that you are going to pay. It is a new car, and not many companies are making cheap replacements yet. Give it 5 yrs or so and you'll see it come down. Replacement windshields in my cavalier were $270 CAD on average, and the body style had been out for 8 years when I had my 2002.

I'm sure that if you keep shopping around you'll find one that is maybe $80 less than the average non-dealer price, but don't expect anything that is half that price.

Sucks, but you can either live with the crack, or you can get it replaced out of pocket. When you get your new WS, get the glass coverage.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by kaptainm
Not that I disagree that Canada is the Bomb, but you should have your fact correct before you go touting about Canada on an international forum. I'm from Alberta, and our insurance system is run through the private sector. My insurance is $130 CAD/year for 3 vehicles (including my 05 Coupe LS with full coverage including glass) and house insurance.
I never said that Canada was da bomb because of anything to do with insurance. My statement was intentionally vague.

Anywho, if I were to wait 5 years for the cost to come down, that would be silly, because I'll already have a new (insured) windshield by then.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:52 PM

We have government ownes insurance in British Columbia, it is ikay but if you are a accident/ticket free driver meven with a 48% discount you still compesate crappy drivers
Old 05-10-2006, 04:06 PM

damn to bad its cracked. mine had a small chip, a little spread but not much. had it repaired at no cost.. but its kinda fugly
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 PM

That seems really high...

Had the winshield on my fiance 2000 Mustang replaced for $350 installed, and that was about 3 or 4 years ago and it actually had the etched pony logo on the glass too...

Shop around bro.

-Rich
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM

Wow actually now that I am thinking about it, that does seem kind of high. I had a windshield replaced on my 97 cavy it was about 180 dollars(USD). They even came out to the house and did it. Took about an hour at most.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:12 PM

Glad I have windshield replacement w/ 0$ deductible in my insurance policy.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 PM

This is my first car... I really was clueless as to how much a windshield can be - which is one of the reasons why I didn't have glass insurance when I got a major stone chip to the windshield which spread to a 1ft. crack within 30 seconds and a full-blown edge-to-edge crack in under a week. That's one thing that really pissed me off. is it common for a windshield to crack so quickly like that from a stone chip? Does that speak to the quality of the windshields that GM is using?

I'll continue to look into the issue, I guess. I just don't want to throw $600 into a new windshield and then find out a week later I could have had one put in for half the price. :/

Brandon
Old 05-11-2006, 03:33 AM

I just had a windshield put in my 05 SS S/C two weeks ago. Safelite did it for $355 USD. The dealer quoted me $610 + Install.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:31 AM

Replace it yourself. Its not that hard. Remove the weather stripping. Get this tool for removing windshields(it has a flat 90 degree bend that heats up and cuts through the sealant holding the window in place).Then clean the area where the windsheild use to be, lay down some new sealant and replace the weather stripping.

later
Old 05-11-2006, 11:38 AM

This is my first car... I really was clueless as to how much a windshield can be - which is one of the reasons why I didn't have glass insurance when I got a major stone chip to the windshield which spread to a 1ft. crack within 30 seconds and a full-blown edge-to-edge crack in under a week. That's one thing that really pissed me off. is it common for a windshield to crack so quickly like that from a stone chip? Does that speak to the quality of the windshields that GM is using?

I'll continue to look into the issue, I guess. I just don't want to throw $600 into a new windshield and then find out a week later I could have had one put in for half the price. :/

Brandon
windshield surgeon in edmonton just quoted me $359 + tax installed. Shop around, I'm sure you will find it for cheaper.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:11 PM

It just sucks at the time you got it, glass insurrance costs a fair amount and usually in the long run you will pay less if you fix the window yourself without the coverage.

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement Cost & Strategy