Problems/Service/Maintenance Do you have problems with your new 2.0, 2.2, or 2.4L? What kind of service did you have done?

Your Experience with P0014

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your Experience with P0014

So CEL P0014 popped up last night, so I busted a U-turn and headed to the Zone.

P0014 "B" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1)

AutoZone's defination:

"Cam Phasing Error"

Explaination: The ECM has detected the camshaft phase angle has exceeded its tolerance value

Probable Cause

1) Loose cam or crank sensor

2) Excessive timing chain free play

3) Blocked oil passage in teh camshaft actuator assembly or engine

4) Incorrect oil quanity or viscosity

----------------------

I was just curious what everyone's experience with this is. What did you do? Any info would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM

bump
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never had it, I did have a P0010 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1) code. Replaced the solenoid and all good since.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 08G5GT2.4L
Never had it, I did have a P0010 "A" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1) code. Replaced the solenoid and all good since.
Good to know. Was it complicated to replace?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From looking at it no. But the dealer did it on warranty lol
Old 01-12-2011, 03:08 PM

Damn...
Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM

anyone else?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're really low in miles (IE before the first oil change) it could be casting flash blocking the screens on the cam phaser solenoid.

Being an '09 you're probably well past 5k miles. That being the case its more than likely going to be a solenoid. Had one go out on my SS/NA at 45k miles.

The part is like... $45 - 50 and it takes five minutes to install. Just remove the connector, remove the 10 mm bolt and twist the solenoid to free it from the head. Then twist and pull upwards until the solenoid is out.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Malaclypse
If you're really low in miles (IE before the first oil change) it could be casting flash blocking the screens on the cam phaser solenoid.

Being an '09 you're probably well past 5k miles. That being the case its more than likely going to be a solenoid. Had one go out on my SS/NA at 45k miles.

The part is like... $45 - 50 and it takes five minutes to install. Just remove the connector, remove the 10 mm bolt and twist the solenoid to free it from the head. Then twist and pull upwards until the solenoid is out.
Yea I got 28xxx miles on my car right now. I was looking up parts on GMpartsdirect, I just don't like how they charge stupid amounts of money for shipping. I'll prolly just go to the local dealer and see if they have one
Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you know the specific name of the part? Camshaft solenoid? I just got this on 06 2.4L 83k miles
Old 06-25-2011, 03:04 PM

ya i had my phase solonoid go on me a few months ago at about 95000km's turned out the solonoid went bad. a month later the intake one went as well. i recommend replacing both at the same time to save yourself some trouble.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:38 PM

I'm still rolling round with this error...can anyone tell me were the cam actuator assembly is so I can see if its plugged...?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM

look at where your plugs are, by the timing chain portion of the valve cover you will see 2 sensors. one is your intake actuator and the other is your exhaust actuator
Old 06-26-2011, 02:33 AM

damn already swapped those...didn't help
Old 06-26-2011, 02:35 AM

swapped or replaced? also in the trouble shooting for the CEL it says to make sure your oil changes are done. are you in need of an oil change by chance?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:43 AM

sorry. Replaced is what I ment and I just did an oil change about 300 miles ago. 5w-30
Old 06-26-2011, 02:46 AM

hmm did you clear the codes, make sure everything was securely plugged back in and all that good stuff?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:48 AM

Yup...man I'm tellin ya I'm running out of ideas. I'll prolly end up pulling the valve cover one more time and take a gander. After that...I have no idea. I'll have to suck it up and take it to the dealer. Blows cause this is the one thing I have to fix before I can throw on my BNR turbo and my new tune...
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 AM

maybe this will help ya

DTC P000A, P000B, P0011, or P0014

Diagnostic Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Strategy Based Diagnosis) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Procedure Instructions)provides an overview of each diagnostic category.
DTC Descriptors
DTC P000A

Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Slow Response
DTC P000B

Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Slow Response
DTC P0011

Intake Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
DTC P0014

Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
Circuit/System Description

The camshaft position (CMP) actuator system enables the engine control module (ECM) to change the timing of the camshafts while the engine is operating. The CMP actuator solenoid signal from the ECM is pulse width modulated (PWM). The ECM controls the CMP actuator solenoid duty cycle by controlling the amount of solenoid ON time. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the advance or the retard of each camshaft. The CMP actuator solenoid controls the oil flow that applies the pressure to advance or retard the camshafts.

Conditions for Running the DTC

Before the ECM can report DTC P000A, P000B, P0011, or P0014 failed, DTCs P0010, P0013, P0341, P0342, P0343, P0366, P0367, P0368, P2088, P2089, P2090, and P2091 must run and pass.
DTC P0016, P0017, P0335, P0336, or P0338 is not set.
The engine is operating for greater than 2 seconds.
The engine speed is greater than 480 RPM.
The engine must accelerate such that the CMP actuator system is commanded from the park position to the phased position. This is considered a cam control cycle. There must be a minimum of 2 cam control cycles for at least 2.5 seconds each in the phased position.
DTC P000A, P000B, P0011, and P0014 run continuously once the above conditions are met for greater than 20 seconds.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The ECM detects the difference between the desired camshaft position angle and the actual camshaft position angle is greater than 6-11 degrees. OR
The ECM detects a slow response, a deviation greater than 1.5 degrees in time greater than 2.5 seconds, for the actual camshaft position angle to match the desired position angle during the test.
Either condition exists for greater than 1 second or for a cumulative of 5 seconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

DTCs P000A, P000B, P0011, and P0014 are type B DTCs.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

DTCs P000A, P000B, P0011, and P0014 are type B DTCs.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference

Engine Controls Schematics (See: Diagrams\Electrical)
Connector End View Reference

Component Connector End Views (See: Diagrams\Connector Views)
Description and Operation

Camshaft Actuator System Description (See: Description and Operation\Camshaft Actuator System Description)
Electrical Information Reference

Circuit Testing (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\General Electrical Diagnostic Procedures\Circuit Testing\Circuit Testing)
Connector Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\General Electrical Diagnostic Procedures\Connector Repairs\Connector Repairs)
Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\General Electrical Diagnostic Procedures\Circuit Testing\Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections)
Wiring Repairs (See: Testing and Inspection\Component Tests and General Diagnostics\General Electrical Diagnostic Procedures\Wiring Repairs\Wiring Repairs)
DTC Type Reference

Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions (See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions)
Scan Tool Reference

Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning)for scan tool information

Diagnostic Aids

The engine oil condition has a major impact on the camshaft actuator system.
A low oil level condition may set this DTC. The engine may require an oil change. Inquire with the customer when the last oil change was performed. You may also monitor the scan tool Engine Oil Life parameter. Advise the customer an oil change may be required.
Inspect the engine for any recent engine mechanical repairs. An incorrectly installed camshaft, camshaft actuator, or timing chain can cause this DTC to set.
Circuit/System Verification

Note: The engine oil level and the oil pressure are critical to the correct operation of the camshaft position (CMP) actuator system. Verify that the engine has the correct oil level and the correct oil pressure before continuing with this diagnostic.

Ignition ON, observe the scan tool DTC information. Verify that none of the following DTCs are set. DTC P0016, P0017, P0335, P0336, P0338, P0341, P0342, P0343, P0366, P0367, P0368, P0520, P0638, P2100, P2101, or P2119.
¤ If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle (See: Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions\Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle) for further diagnosis.

Engine idling, command the suspected camshaft actuator from 0 degrees to 20 degrees and back to zero while observing the appropriate scan tool CMP Angle Variance parameters. The CMP Angle Variance should be less than 2 degrees in each of the commanded states.
Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Circuit/System Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve.
Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the ignition circuit terminal A and ground.
¤ If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the ignition circuit fuse is open, test all the components connected to the ignition circuit and replace as necessary.

Connect a DMM, set on the diode setting, between the control circuit terminal B and ground. The voltage should be greater than 2 V.
¤ If the DMM displays OL, test the control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit/connections test normal, replace the Engine Control Module.
¤ If less than the specified value, test the control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the Engine Control Module.

Command the Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve ON and OFF with a scan tool. The DMM should transition from greater than 2 V when commanded OFF to less than 1 V, when commanded ON.
¤ If the circuit voltage does not correspond to the specified values, replace the Engine Control Module.

Remove the CMP actuator solenoid. Inspect the CMP actuator solenoid and mounting area for the following conditions:
For a torn, restricted, mis-positioned, or missing screens at the CMP actuator solenoid
For engine oil leaks between the oil sealing lands of the CMP actuator solenoid-Inspect the lands of the CMP actuator solenoid for nicks.
For oil seepage at the CMP actuator solenoid connector
¤ If a condition is found, replace CMP actuator solenoid.

Ignition OFF, swap the suspected CMP actuator solenoid with a CMP actuator solenoid that is operating correctly.
Note: This step is testing the mechanical CMP actuator for the camshaft that set the DTC.

Engine idling. Command the suspected camshaft actuator from 0 degrees to 20 degrees and back to zero while observing the appropriate scan tool CMP Angle Variance parameters. The CMP Angle Variance should be less than 2 degrees in each of the commanded states.
¤ If the CMP Angle Variance is greater than 2 degrees, replace the mechanical camshaft position (CMP) actuator.

If all circuits/connections test normal, test or replace the CMP actuator solenoid.
Component Testing

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the appropriate camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid.
Test for 7-12 ohm between the control terminal B and the ignition terminal A of the CMP actuator solenoid.
¤ If not within the specified range, replace the CMP actuator solenoid.

Test for infinite resistance between each terminal and the CMP actuator solenoid housing.
¤ If less than the specified value, replace the CMP actuator solenoid valve.

Repair Instructions

Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification (See: Verification Tests and Procedures) after completing the diagnostic procedure.

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement (See: Variable Valve Timing Solenoid\Service and Repair)
Camshaft Position Exhaust Actuator Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Camshaft\Service and Repair\Camshaft Position Exhaust Actuator Replacement)
Camshaft Position Intake Actuator Replacement (See: Engine, Cooling and Exhaust\Engine\Camshaft\Service and Repair\Camshaft Position Intake Actuator Replacement)
Control Module References (See: Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning)for engine control module replacement, setup, and programming
Old 06-26-2011, 03:00 AM

THanks man I'll have to check this out tomrrrow morning. I appreciate it
Old 06-26-2011, 03:01 AM

Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement

Removal Procedure

Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector from either the intake (2) or exhaust (1) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve, as required.

Remove the exhaust (1) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve bolt and valve, as required.
Remove the intake (2) camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve bolt and valve, as required.
Inspect the solenoid valve O-ring seals from damage, replace as necessary.

Installation Procedure

Lubricate the solenoid valve O-ring seals with clean engine oil.
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution (See: Service Precautions\Vehicle Damage Warnings\Fastener Caution).

Install the intake (2) CMP actuator solenoid valve and bolt, as required.
Tighten the bolt to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

Install the exhaust (1) CMP actuator solenoid valve and bolt, as required.
Tighten the bolt to 10 Nm (89 lb in).

Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector to the intake (1) or exhaust (2) camshaft position actuator solenoid valve, as required.

Originally Posted by iboost
THanks man I'll have to check this out tomrrrow morning. I appreciate it
no worries. i'm kinda bored at home right now so i got plenty of time to look this stuff up lol

Last edited by outtamymind; 06-26-2011 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-26-2011, 10:36 PM

of course after I pull the charge pipes off and the intake to get to all the bolts it starts raining...now I have to wait out the weather...
Old 06-27-2011, 12:07 AM

I pulled the solenoid and it looked fine. Oil was changed just a few hundred miles ago. I pulled the valve cover and I don't see anything wrong under their. Whats the torque specs for the little things that hold down the cams?
Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 AM

wtf happened with my post. for some reason all data decided they wanted to change their picture locations. i'll have to fix it tomorrow
Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Yea I see that. **** changes Everytime I see it lol

Quick Reply: Your Experience with P0014