Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Brake Dust - How to combat it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Dust - How to combat it.

Hello,
I was reading through some of the brake threads and keep seeing complaints of brake dust. I professionally detail by referrall only and want to share a very easy solution to the problem that some of you may already know, and others may not. These are performance brakes and create quite a bit of dust, not nearly as bad as some more track oriented stuff, but still pretty bad. So.. here you go.

First, clean your wheels, use a seperate bucket from the one you wash your car with. Also use a soft brush (boar hair) if nescessary and seperate wash mit. Make sure to clean the barrells too. Once the wheels are VERY clean, dry them. If their wet, the product won't seal as well.

Second, spray them generously with:

Armor All 7oz Wheel Protectant Spray (78482) 5-10$ at your local store.

Inside and out. Let it dry completely before moving the car, typically 2-3 hours.

After a week or two, youll notice significantly deminished appearance of brake dust, the product works like a charm and keeps brake dust from accumulating. It also helps protect the finish on your wheels. cheap and easy way to keep your wheels poppin.
**note: if you are not going to use tire shine on the sidewall of the tires, TAPE IT OFF when you spray.

Last edited by Grishbok; 02-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Thank you
Old 01-31-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Grishbok
Hello,
I was reading through some of the brake threads and keep seeing complaints of brake dust. I professionally detail by referrall only and want to share a very easy solution to the problem that some of you may already know, and others may not. These are performance brakes and create quite a bit of dust, not nearly as bad as some more track oriented stuff, but still pretty bad. So.. here you go.

First, clean your wheels, use a seperate bucket from the one you wash your car with. Also use a soft brush if nescessary and seperate wash mit. Make sure to clean the barrells too. Once the wheels are VERY clean, dry them. If their wet, the product won't seal as well.

Second, spray them generously with:

Armor All 7oz Wheel Protectant Spray (78482) 5-10$ at your local store.

Inside and out. Let it dry completely before moving the car, typically 2-3 hours.

After a week or two, youll notice significantly deminished appearance of brake dust, the product works like a charm and keeps brake dust from accumulating. It also helps protect the finish on your wheels. cheap and easy way to keep your wheels poppin.
**note: if you are not going to use tire shine on the sidewall of the tires, TAPE IT OFF when you spray.
Cool thanks for the tip. Would you suggest spraying the wheel first with this protectant or putting the tire shine on first?

Also since we've got a true detailer what's the best tire shine in your opinion?
Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 AM
Banned

the armor all spray doesnt do anything for brake dust. waste of money. I've tried everything, if you have a problem with brake dust try new pads cuz that spray isnt gonna do anything. might as well spray teflon on your wheels that might work better.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by tom.g
Cool thanks for the tip. Would you suggest spraying the wheel first with this protectant or putting the tire shine on first?

Also since we've got a true detailer what's the best tire shine in your opinion?
Spray the wheel first, that way any overspray on the tire will be covered by the tire shine.

The best tire shine? thats a tricky question, i have a bunch of different types. Some leave a more matte finish, clean, not super shiny. Some leave a very shiny/wet appearance. The thing to look for most is what they call "sling", where the product ends up getting slung onto the paint after the client starts driving. If a product slings, don't ever use it.
Ultimately, its the clients preference on what type of finish, Ill typically try to match the interior. If the client likes the more matte interior finish, ill use a more matte type on the wheels. If they like the more oily-shine interior finish, i'll make the tires super shiny.

Originally Posted by dncalvillo2
the armor all spray doesnt do anything for brake dust. waste of money. I've tried everything, if you have a problem with brake dust try new pads cuz that spray isnt gonna do anything. might as well spray teflon on your wheels that might work better.
You are entitled to your opinion, but perhaps you are using the product incorrectly, or not letting it set and dry properly. Or perhaps you did not use enough. I have never had an issue with the product, hence the reason i am letting others know about it
Old 02-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moved to the Show & Shine Forum, please post in the correct section.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:18 AM

Anyone ever try Michelin Brake Dust Repellent? (Tire Care Products: Tire Care & Buying Guide: Michelin Tires) Just wondering if this is better than/worse than/just as good as the Armor All stuff?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Its the same stuff. It works just the same

edited top post to specify to use a boar hair brush so you dont hurt the finish on the wheels.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tom.g
I'm no pro detailer, but after using tons of different products I have found that the Armor All Extreme Tire Shine Gel is the best. You squeeze it onto the applicator and then just brush it onto the tire. No messy overspray like the aerosal cans and spray bottles do, no foam all over the driveway like the foaming tire shines.

Since its a gel and you brush it on, it also doesn't go flying all over the inner fenders and paint when you drive, and it lasts much longer than the liquid sprays.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM

I just clean and wax my rims inside and out when I go to put them on every spring. Works mint. Mind you they still need a good wipe after a wash, but nothing crazy.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Former Vendor

There's no way to eliminate brake dust entirely because all friction linings are designed to wear. If the pads didn't wear, they'd damage the rotors - and pads are a lot cheaper to replace than rotors.

The buildup of brake dust can be reduced by applying a coating of wax or polymer-based protectant, or a spray-on wheel treatment. The coating will reduce the tendency of brake dust to stick to the wheels while enhancing the wheel's appearance.