Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Dish soap...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dish soap...

Is it safe to use dish soap if I'm not going to be polishing or using a compound on the car, or will the abrasives or whatever in the soap remain on the car and damage the clear coat?

I'm going to rinse it, wash it (with dish soap?), clay-bar, and throw on a new coat of wax for now.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:08 PM

Dawn dish washing soap is what everyone uses around here including Cody and he does detailing for a living.
That's the only dish washing soap I would use as a lot of the other stuff is not good for the paint.
It will strip the wax off the car and that's what you want when your going to clay bar and wax the car.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:12 PM

yo, dont ever try to wipe off bird ****. That **** will scratch the &5$# out of your car. Too bad I didnt learn that the first, 2nd, or third times....
Old 06-01-2008, 06:48 PM
Former Vendor

Contrary to some Experts advices, with claying and polishing, you're removing most, if not all, of the previous product ever applied on the paint surface. there's no need for dish soap period.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM

Ive heard that using dish soap isnt good for your paint, but I have also heard of people using also. Personally I wouldnt use it, I would just wash it with regualar car soap and clay bar it. Since thats what clay barring your car is for anyways.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by McKeough
Is it safe to use dish soap if I'm not going to be polishing or using a compound on the car, or will the abrasives or whatever in the soap remain on the car and damage the clear coat?

I'm going to rinse it, wash it (with dish soap?), clay-bar, and throw on a new coat of wax for now.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Turbo Wax
Contrary to some Experts advices, with claying and polishing, you're removing most, if not all, of the previous product ever applied on the paint surface. there's no need for dish soap period.
Aha, just teasin' ya man.

Anyway, I'll throw up some pictures tomorrow. Used a combination of Meguiars / Turtle products, turned out pretty good for the quick-job it was.

Have a good one!