Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Front bumper clean/protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumper clean/protection

Hey guys...

I own a black SS/SC and my front bumper looks awful! It's full of little white specs...not sure if its knicked up paint or what...I live in New England, so the weather and roads are terrible...IS there someway I could protect this from happening or cleaner/wax that would fix this? Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 PM

I also have this problem.. Sub'd to see suggestions..
Old 10-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Those white specs are whats under the paint. This is typically the result of rocks or debris stricking the paint and creating a chip/pit through the paint. The best protection for you would be a clear-bra. Its a piece of clear plastic vinyl that fits over the bumper and bottom half of the hood. No matter what they say, if you have this and you leave it on your car for a long time, it will leave a difference between where it was applied, and the rest of the paint. Much like sun fade.

If you dont want to do that, and I don't because I hate the lines of those things, you will get these pits. The more layers of protection you put between the object hitting it, and the paint itself, the better youll be. So get a full detail, and keep it thoroughly waxed. Be aware of your surroundings, don't drive behind semi-trucks or dualies or anything that looks like itll throw a rock in your face. Keeping the car clean and properly waxed helps alot.

To fix the white specs already there, get a very fine paint pen filled with your paint color # and very very lightly dab the specs. These paint specs will look a little different form the rest of the paint because there is no longer clear coat over top. A good coat of wax ill make it virtually unnoticeable to the untrained eye.
-The only surefire way to repair those for good is to repaint the hood, once its down through the paint, theres nothing we can do to bring it back.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:14 PM

It would take awhile to touch up the entire front bumper...theres tons of little specs...but thanks! I haven't cleaned it in detail in awhile and havn't waxed it...What kind of wax do you recommend? I had turtle wax and applied it with the sponge and that's a pain in the ass!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM

I'd recommend Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax. Not that it's better than others (except I would say it's better than the turtle wax I've used).
Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM

Well... it really depends on what youre doing... what I would recomend, is to wash it thoroughly, clay bar it, wash it again, apply a good cleaner wax, wipe it off, apply a glaze. wipe it off, apply your regular Carnauba wax, wipe it off. The carnauba when used with a buffer/a bit of heat, makes a really nice shine.
This is what I do for a very very simple wax. The carnauba wax can be applied like you normally would by hand, and if you dont have a buffer, hit it with a hairdryer to warm it up a bit and get it worked in. Then let it dry and wipe it off.

When I detail my car, theres several more products I use and in a different order, kinda my trade secret though since im detailing cars in the off season.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:33 PM

You could sell your car to me and I'll take care of it.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

^ this. id clay bar and wax. as for the hair dryer i wouldnt try it. but some buffers are cheap you could try that but i also do detailing on the side so there are many steps to do it correctly but most ppl just do the basic but even that can take hours
Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM

lmao, the hair dryer is just softening up the wax so you can work it easier. Your not cooking it, just a blast of warm air. Cheap buffers dont get the speed needed to really warm it and work it in.