Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

getting scratches out

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<---this is me laughing at you!

get a real job!

not only did you lose at this, but you lost at life too!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Wow...this is getting out of hand.

OK, first, clay bars do not remove swirl marks or scratches. They are a media used to physically remove bonded contaminants from the paint surface. It does this by grabbing the bonded contaminants and drawing it into the clay itself. Think silly putty on newspaper. However, it will not remove scratches or swirl marks, in fact, depending on the aggressiveness of the clay bar, it may actually cause micro marring and swirls. Especially if a large piece of contaminant gets drawn into the clay, then dragged back and forth during the clay process.

Now, Turtle Wax ICE is not a clay bar. Calling it clay bar is wrong, as it is more closer to a chemical cleanser than anything. It uses chemicals to try and break down surface contaminants so they can be wiped away. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as a traditional clay bar, and most professional detailers will attest to this. However, it has over the top FILLING abilities. Meaning as it breaks away the contaminants, it leaves a chemical on the surface that is meant to fill in the swirl marks in your paint.

So does TW-ICE Liquid Clay Bar remove swirl marks and scratches? Well, no, it merely fills them in and makes them less visible. Now, for the average person, this may seem like the product is magically removing the swirl marks. But most professional detailers view fillers as the enemy. They mask and disguise the true condition of the paint surface. Most detailers will go through to added process of an isopropanol wipedown after polishing to remove the oils and fillers of the polish to see if the swirls and scratches were removed, or merely masked.

The problem with fillers is they don't last. You put in on, swirls disappear, clouds part, angels sing, and your paint looks flawless. Mission accomplished right? Well, in a few days the environment will wear away those fillers, and your left with the same swirls as when you started. Meaning you then have to continue reapplying the product to maintain the finish. Now if you were to polish out the swirls properly, the swirls are gone. But most people don't have to tools or the product knowledge on how to do this properly. And a lot of the time, professional detailers and hobbyists will clash over this. I mean, when you use a product that in your mind, works flawlessly, your going to defend it. However, there are reasons why professional detailers don't use this product, or products similar to it.

If you detailed a customers car will liquid clay bar, and filled in all the swirls, the car would look good as he drove it home. But imagine how upset the owner would be to find that the swirls that he paid you to get rid of, came back within a few days (conditions depending. This is why pro detailers use the products that they use. They need to remove the paintwork defects permanently, which is why fillers are avoided at all costs.

Now its really up to you on which process you want to use, either masking swirls, or removing them completely. But I think this is where all the arguing over clay bars removing swirls comes from. The Liquid Clay bar masks swirls, but it doesn't remove them.

No process is wrong, and in the end, its your paint, so to each their own
Old 06-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1

OK, first, clay bars do not remove swirl marks or scratches. They are a media used to physically remove bonded contaminants from the paint surface. It does this by grabbing the bonded contaminants and drawing it into the clay itself. Think silly putty on newspaper. However, it will not remove scratches or swirl marks, in fact, depending on the aggressiveness of the clay bar, it may actually cause micro marring and swirls. Especially if a large piece of contaminant gets drawn into the clay, then dragged back and forth during the clay process.

Now, Turtle Wax ICE is not a clay bar. Calling it clay bar is wrong, as it is more closer to a chemical cleanser than anything. It uses chemicals to try and break down surface contaminants so they can be wiped away. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as a traditional clay bar, and most professional detailers will attest to this. However, it has over the top FILLING abilities. Meaning as it breaks away the contaminants, it leaves a chemical on the surface that is meant to fill in the swirl marks in your paint.

So does TW-ICE Liquid Clay Bar remove swirl marks and scratches? Well, no, it merely fills them in and makes them less visible. Now, for the average person, this may seem like the product is magically removing the swirl marks. But most professional detailers view fillers as the enemy. They mask and disguise the true condition of the paint surface. Most detailers will go through to added process of an isopropanol wipedown after polishing to remove the oils and fillers of the polish to see if the swirls and scratches were removed, or merely masked.

The problem with fillers is they don't last. You put in on, swirls disappear, clouds part, angels sing, and your paint looks flawless. Mission accomplished right? Well, in a few days the environment will wear away those fillers, and your left with the same swirls as when you started. Meaning you then have to continue reapplying the product to maintain the finish. Now if you were to polish out the swirls properly, the swirls are gone. But most people don't have to tools or the product knowledge on how to do this properly. And a lot of the time, professional detailers and hobbyists will clash over this. I mean, when you use a product that in your mind, works flawlessly, your going to defend it. However, there are reasons why professional detailers don't use this product, or products similar to it.

If you detailed a customers car will liquid clay bar, and filled in all the swirls, the car would look good as he drove it home. But imagine how upset the owner would be to find that the swirls that he paid you to get rid of, came back within a few days (conditions depending. This is why pro detailers use the products that they use. They need to remove the paintwork defects permanently, which is why fillers are avoided at all costs.

Now its really up to you on which process you want to use, either masking swirls, or removing them completely. But I think this is where all the arguing over clay bars removing swirls comes from. The Liquid Clay bar masks swirls, but it doesn't remove them.

exactly what ive been saying this entire thread, thanks for taking the time to TRY and teach these guys. well put post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Banned

subscribed 2 read after work
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gturismo1

wow type much? and the liquid claybar isnt the last step in washing and detailing a car, so in the end it isnt the end...

but your right to each his own, and i dont wash cars for a living (hat) so that customer is me, which is For The Win.

thanx for the post

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
exactly what ive been saying this entire thread, thanks for taking the time to TRY and teach these guys. well put post
obviously your so blindsided by your own awesomeness that you cant see what is meant by this post. he is saying neither of us is wrong asshat.

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 06-10-2008 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mnatvyc1223
wow type much? and the liquid claybar isnt the last step in washing and detailing a car, so in the end it isnt the end...

but your right to each his own, and i dont wash cars for a living (hat) so that customer is me, which is For The Win.

thanx for the post

obviously your so blindsided by your own awesomeness that you cant see what is meant by this post. he is saying neither of us is wrong asshat.
actually what he is saying is that your temporary "fix" is a joke, and that the variation among detailers is within the actual good products themselves
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM

actually what he is saying is that your temporary "fix" is a joke, and that the variation among detailers is within the actual good products themselves
my "temporary fix" works perfectly fine for a very long time, something i dont think he realizes, so it is yet again another person that doesnt know how this product actually works, like i said i stand by stuff that works and it does.

theres no need to spend $60 on a "professional" product when a $20 product works just as fine like i said before. quit tryin to disband something you have never used.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 PM

my "temporary fix" works perfectly fine for a very long time, something i dont think he realizes, so it is yet again another person that doesnt know how this product actually works, like i said i stand by stuff that works and it does.

theres no need to spend $60 on a "professional" product when a $20 product works just as fine like i said before. quit tryin to disband something you have never used.
guess you missed this part of the big post...

"Now, Turtle Wax ICE is not a clay bar. Calling it clay bar is wrong, as it is more closer to a chemical cleanser than anything. It uses chemicals to try and break down surface contaminants so they can be wiped away. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as a traditional clay bar, and most professional detailers will attest to this. However, it has over the top FILLING abilities. Meaning as it breaks away the contaminants, it leaves a chemical on the surface that is meant to fill in the swirl marks in your paint.

So does TW-ICE Liquid Clay Bar remove swirl marks and scratches? Well, no, it merely fills them in and makes them less visible. Now, for the average person, this may seem like the product is magically removing the swirl marks. But most professional detailers view fillers as the enemy. They mask and disguise the true condition of the paint surface. Most detailers will go through to added process of an isopropanol wipedown after polishing to remove the oils and fillers of the polish to see if the swirls and scratches were removed, or merely masked. "
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 PM

guess you missed this part of the big post...

"Now, Turtle Wax ICE is not a clay bar. Calling it clay bar is wrong, as it is more closer to a chemical cleanser than anything. It uses chemicals to try and break down surface contaminants so they can be wiped away. It doesn't work anywhere near as well as a traditional clay bar, and most professional detailers will attest to this. However, it has over the top FILLING abilities. Meaning as it breaks away the contaminants, it leaves a chemical on the surface that is meant to fill in the swirl marks in your paint.

So does TW-ICE Liquid Clay Bar remove swirl marks and scratches? Well, no, it merely fills them in and makes them less visible. Now, for the average person, this may seem like the product is magically removing the swirl marks. But most professional detailers view fillers as the enemy. They mask and disguise the true condition of the paint surface. Most detailers will go through to added process of an isopropanol wipedown after polishing to remove the oils and fillers of the polish to see if the swirls and scratches were removed, or merely masked. "

i guess you missed the part where i said i'm not a "professional" car washer as you may call yourself so what my eyes dont see is fine with me, the product does its job as advertised and i'm pleased with it as many many other people are too, so what are you still arguing about? that you know how to professionally polish my knob better than some people??

it's fukin retarded to spend $200 on a "professional" detail, when i can do it myself for less than $10 every time and have it "appear" just as good.

elbow grease, DO WORK SON!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:34 PM

i just took a **** and used the turd as a clay bar, it removed scratches great and now it has a nice shitty smell to it as well. the ladies love it.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM

i guess you missed the part where i said i'm not a "professional" car washer as you may call yourself so what my eyes dont see is fine with me, the product does its job as advertised and i'm pleased with it as many many other people are too, so what are you still arguing about? that you know how to professionally polish my knob better than some people??

it's fukin retarded to spend $200 on a "professional" detail, when i can do it myself for less than $10 every time and have it "appear" just as good.

elbow grease, DO WORK SON!
haha except you cant make it look as good, thats the point.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by dead_black_balt667
i just took a **** and used the turd as a clay bar, it removed scratches great and now it has a nice shitty smell to it as well. the ladies love it.
wouldnt that make your car brown?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:39 PM

guys, apparently turtle wax already spotted this post, and they're offering me money to buy my **** and label it as the new Turtle Wax: Dark lineup... what you guys think?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:43 PM

haha except you cant make it look as good, thats the point.
wow, i know in arkansas no one makes it past 6th grade so let me edumacate yous and yors.

i've had "professional" details (brother in law owns his own company) and i've done it myself with off the shelf "consumer products" and i've made it look just as nice, get it now? thaaaaaaaaaats right, using the turtle wax liquidclaybar among other turtle wx products YAY for the special people!

i dont care if it's perfect, it's all about the instant gratification!

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 06-10-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM

lets hope you did not eat any peanuts or corn.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 PM

guys, apparently turtle wax already spotted this post, and they're offering me money to buy my **** and label it as the new Turtle Wax: Dark lineup... what you guys think?
go for it, call it fly wax.. it's what it will attract!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 PM

wow, i know in arkansas no one makes it past 6th grade so let me edumacate yous and yors.

i've had "professional" details (brother in law owns his own company) and i've done it myself with off the shelf "consumer products" and i've made it look just as nice, get it now? thaaaaaaaaaats right, using the turtle wax liquidclaybar among other turtle wx products YAY for the special people!

i dont care if it's perfect, it's all about the instant gratification!
how do you know when you have lost an argument? when the only things you can bring up are a person's place of origin which in no way, shape, or form pertain to the given disagreement. also, the insults along the way were a nice touch of immaturity
Old 06-10-2008, 10:52 PM

how do you know when you have lost an argument? when the only things you can bring up are places of origin which in no way, shape, or form pertain to the given disagreement. also, the insults along the way were a nice touch of immaturity
it's not my job to try and be the most mature person on this site i'm not 35 years old and such, what my job entails is helping protect yous an yors there razorback. please let me know when i have time to sit around and wash the working mans car for him...

and i didnt lose, this argument is useless, people more readily use the off the shelf products more than they use the professional **** so wheres your argument again? thats right it's what the consumer buys most which makes the money. if you can market a product to appeal to the masses and have it do a good job then you have money in your pocket. i choose to give my money to this company for the simple fact that their product works and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg... i didnt buy it cuz some guy on a forum has to voice his "professionl opinion" when what the other guy is saying to use works...anyways being the more "mature" man is knowing when to quit arguing about something so stupid AGREE TO DISAGREE!

Last edited by Mnatvyc1223; 06-10-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
getting some of this stuff tomorrow, need it myself.

Getting someone to buff it out.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

and i didnt lose, this argument is useless, people more readily use the off the shelf products more than they use the professional **** so wheres your argument again? thats right it's what the consumer buys most which makes the money. if you can market a product to appeal to the masses and have it do a good job then you have money in your pocket. i choose to give my money to this company for the simple fact that their product works and it doesnt cost an arm and a leg... i didnt buy it cuz some guy on a forum has to voice his "professionl opinion" when what the other guy is saying to use works...anyways being the more "mature" man is knowing when to quit arguing about something so stupid AGREE TO DISAGREE!
STFU already, you do not know the first thing about any kind of automotive detailing product. So quit trying to act like your magical turtle wax ice is the best there is. There are "professional" grade products out there that are the same price or less than the ice, and guess what they are made by Meguiars and can be purchased in most auto parts stores.

There's two ways of fixing it, actually polishing out or just covering it of. If the OP chooses to do it the right way and remove the flaws, like the subject thread states, a few of already have already suggested ways of doing it. Or the OP can do the half ass method of using some turtle wax ice to cover up the area on his trunk, and then all of the flaws will be visible again the next time the car is washed.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 05redline
STFU already, you do not know the first thing about any kind of automotive detailing product. So quit trying to act like your magical turtle wax ice is the best there is. There are "professional" grade products out there that are the same price or less than the ice, and guess what they are made by Meguiars and can be purchased in most auto parts stores.

There's two ways of fixing it, actually polishing out or just covering it of. If the OP chooses to do it the right way and remove the flaws, like the subject thread states, a few of already have already suggested ways of doing it. Or the OP can do the half ass method of using some turtle wax ice to cover up the area on his trunk, and then all of the flaws will be visible again the next time the car is washed.
like i said tard the claybar **** i use or any form of claybar for that matter isnt the last step so whats so hard about understanding it's not the only product i use on swirls and scratches? i guess they must have overlooked you in grade school. it works along with the other steps of detailing the cars paint, like i said before. u either cant understand what i'm sayig or your just completely thick. and yes your right you can "remove" scratches from paint lawls it's all a matter of covering it up or filling it in. LMAO
Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

like i said tard the claybar **** i use or any form of claybar for that matter isnt the last step so whats so hard about understanding it's not the only product i use on swirls and scratches? i guess they must have overlooked you in grade school. it works along with the other steps of detailing the cars paint, like i said before. u either cant understand what i'm sayig or your just completely thick.
So what is your process then ace? I'd really like to hear it. How about some before and after photos also expert?

and yes your right you can "remove" scratches from paint lawls it's all a matter of covering it up or filling it in. LMAO
Oh ****, it that what I've been doing? That must be some good cover up stuff I've been using then, because they don't reappear for me.

WTF do you think a cutting polish does combined with a machine polisher? Oh I guess it's filling it in. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I've only been detailing cars on the side for close to 8 years.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM

So what is your process then ace? I'd really like to hear it. How about some before and after photos also expert?

Oh ****, it that what I've been doing? That must be some good cover up stuff I've been using then, because they don't reappear for me.

WTF do you think a cutting polish does combined with a machine polisher? Oh I guess it's filling it in. I guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I've only been detailing cars on the side for close to 8 years.
my process is let it sit on the street for a month until my engine parts all arrive, then tear my engine apart rebuild it then voila running car, i dont have time for the paint right now, and if i did, the first thing i would do is use a cutting polish and combined with a machine polisher, Oh I guess it's filling it in. and then explain myself like this as if my life had a meaning...I guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I've only been detailing cars on the side for close to 8 years, cuz i'm sure all that would get rid of the scratches someone put in my paint from a KEY! LMAO remove that ****
Old 06-11-2008, 12:47 AM
Banned

my process is let it sit on the street for a month until my engine parts all arrive, then tear my engine apart rebuild it then voila running car, i dont have time for the paint right now, and if i did, the first thing i would do is use a cutting polish and combined with a machine polisher, Oh I guess it's filling it in. and then explain myself like this as if my life had a meaning...I guess I don't know what I'm talking about though, I've only been detailing cars on the side for close to 8 years, cuz i'm sure all that would get rid of the scratches someone put in my paint from a KEY! LMAO remove that ****
That's great, but no one gives a ****. Since you're not the original poster who had the question, the suggested processes wouldn't apply to you.

I better get back to installing my projector lights and ss decal overlays.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 AM

That's great, but no one gives a ****. Since you're not the original poster who had the question, the suggested processes wouldn't apply to you.

I better get back to installing my projector lights and ss decal overlays.
ouch, you lose.

Quick Reply: getting scratches out