Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

new to washing car so

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I dont want to screw it up worse. I ve used a buffer a few times not no where near experienced. I just want these gone or not very noticable.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
your right your georgia/florida sun is WAY brighter than my direct 300w halogen light.

smoke jenson you need to have some experience before trying to tackle those with a machine. www.autopia.org

... the fact i was waxing terribly (like rrutter) last year and finally saw the light. until then im sure he will continue to argue for his handwaxing technique....
Keep in mind i dont just handwax, I use 3k grit sand paper, compound and polish however he still feels i "hand wax". Just because i do it by hand and achieve the same results doesnt mean i have to be a tard and go to you for it so it wont show just incase the sun comes a million miles closer tommorow.

Newbs just dont get it.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:48 PM

you dont get the same results, i can promise you that. have fun showing me your swirls.

newb? ive probably done more cars in the past year than you have done in your entire life.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmOKe JeNsOn
Yea I dont want to screw it up worse. I ve used a buffer a few times not no where near experienced. I just want these gone or not very noticable.
Use 3m scratch out, 3m polish. These are minor abrasives that wont do "much" if you screw it up by polishing it in direct sunlight.

Clean the area off with whatever you want... even a wool pad that makes deep scratches (although you will have alot of work if you do it) heheh

get some detailer or sudsy DISH soap.

Apply the 3M scratch remover. IF you are doing it in the sun u will need to use a spritzer with the dish soap/detailer and get it nice and sudsy while you apply it. The problem with abrassives is that if you do it in the sun it dries quickly and makes the problem worse. So keep it wet and lubed nicely like you would a clay bar.

3 applications of the 3M will remove 80% of the swirls by hand. If you want to get gimp and do it until the halogen light says "good job" apply it 10 more times. However I dont apply more than 5 because im a lazy bastard and see no point in removing the clear coat to that level.

After you do this go ahead and use 3M polish. 3-5 applications. (same deal except lighter on the lube)

ok now use a cleaner wax to remove all the residue or if your hyper critical use the cleaner wax between the scratch remover and the polish.

Use a sealer/glaze afterward if you "want"

Dont use the polish unless u see only minor imperfect swirling less than the original swirls. For deep scratches keep using the scratch remover.

After you cant see any swirls (seeing the sun reflection on your paint) use mcguires color x to deepen it out and enhance your work.

I follow up with black magic's back to black wax.

Beats paying whatever for someone else to do it with the same results.

Try it on a small area on your hood then call me in the morning.

you dont get the same results, i can promise you that. have fun showing me your swirls.

newb? ive probably done more cars in the past year than you have done in your entire life.
ROFL ive been detailing since 16 and as good as i am i still dont need to do it for a living. Oh yes, the swirls my car shows... wow Its hideous lemme tell ya!

Have the readers try it out and tell me im wrong

Last edited by rrutter81; 05-06-2008 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Ive tried scratch X with no results
Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SmOKe JeNsOn
Ive tried scratch X with no results
mcguires scratch x wont work, i agree 100000% and told everyone on this forum about it.

Use mcguires color x AFTER the 3M scratch remover and polisher.

scratch x is crap lol

If you want to get specific i use

3M scratch remover + polish
Mothers detailer + cleaner
mcguires (only mcguires product i use) color x
Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 PM

the part that has me really laughing is the fact you continue to call me "kid," and you are the one using terms such as "tard" and driving a cobalt with lambo doors and chrome wheels
Old 05-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Banned

the part that has me really laughing is the fact you continue to call me "kid," and you are the one using terms such as "tard" and driving a cobalt with lambo doors and chrome wheels
Yet you paint your wheels like you cant afford real ones.

Taste is different than skill, keep to the topic kid. Your just blowing smoke up my ass now.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 PM

Im going up whos what now ?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by rrutter81
Yet you paint your wheels like you cant afford real ones.

Taste is different than skill, keep to the topic kid. Your just blowing smoke up my ass now.
might want to tell theat to all the people who have read my how-to and send me PM's on them every day.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM
Banned

might want to tell theat to all the people who have read my how-to and send me PM's on them every day.
Tell you what.

Next car you get, use what i use and put it under a halogen and without a halogen for comparison.

Dont b.s. either since I can tell what the results are with my own car if you did it right.... after-all you are the proffesional yes?

I just want to keep it real. Your good, i wont doubt that, however if your not really THAT in to spending hours on the car with a rotary mine is one of the best.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:36 PM

Tell you what.

Next car you get, use what i use and put it under a halogen and without a halogen for comparison.

Dont b.s. either since I can tell what the results are with my own car if you did it right.... after-all you are the proffesional yes?

I just want to keep it real. Your good, i wont doubt that, however if your not really THAT in to spending hours on the car with a rotary mine is one of the best.
so you are now recognizing the fact you arent doing it the CORRECT way, but your way is good enough for you. we could have avoided alot if you would have just said that from the beginning
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

so you are now recognizing the fact you arent doing it the CORRECT way, but your way is good enough for you. we could have avoided alot if you would have just said that from the beginning
k if your going to be an ass about it ill say this,

Your way will always be imperfect, same as mine.

My way will be imperfect to something I cant see beyond normal sunlight,

Yours beyond halogens however there will always be imperfection. If you want to look at in black and white. Im not saying my way is incorrect however it is correct enough where you will need a microscope or halogen to see it.

Again, use my method and compare it to yours under a halogen... guaranteed it wont be much different.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM

i can guarentee you it will be different. ive seen it first hand. again, sundown picture.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM

you simply can not get rid of swirls with handwaxing man. you need speed and heat to break the compound in, and you cant get that with hand. prepare for horror when someone puts a halogen on your paint
Um..........why would someone be carrying around a 300W halogen lamp to check out swirls on other cars?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

your right your georgia/florida sun is WAY brighter than my direct 300w halogen light.
300W "A" standard- 6200 lumens, 750 hours

Your right... the sun is ALOT brighter than your little candle

32000 lux Sunlight on an average day (min.) (5X more than your "dwarf star")
100000 lux Sunlight on an average day (max.)

Please tell me your halogen can even hit 32,000 lumens with 300 watts

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Um..........why would someone be carrying around a 300W halogen lamp to check out swirls on other cars?
LMFAO im gonna have to agree with this guy....

If you cant see it in the sun why the hell would you care?

Just to give u an idea

15,000 lux at 18 inches (5,000 lumens)

Why dont u take that halogen and move it about 6 inches away from the car next time.

Last edited by rrutter81; 05-06-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
wow, watch out people genius on our hands! by using a bright light you are able to see all of the imperfections, and correct accordingly. look at any real detailer and see if they use them.

www.autopia.net

eat some crow

300W "A" standard- 6200 lumens, 750 hours

Your right... the sun is ALOT brighter than your little candle

32000 lux Sunlight on an average day (min.) (5X more than your "dwarf star")
100000 lux Sunlight on an average day (max.)

Please tell me your halogen can even hit 32,000 lumens with 300 watts

LMFAO im gonna have to agree with this guy....

If you cant see it in the sun why the hell would you care?

Just to give u an idea

15,000 lux at 18 inches (5,000 lumens)

Why dont u take that halogen and move it about 6 inches away from the car next time.
God there are some dumbasses in the world. Go take pics of your shitty paint in the sun tomorrow then call your friends and see if any of them have a bright halogen, put it on your paint and compare the pics.

Last edited by hatrickstu; 05-06-2008 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Banned

wow, watch out people genius on our hands! by using a bright light you are able to see all of the imperfections, and correct accordingly. look at any real detailer and see if they use them.

www.autogeek.net

eat some crow

God there are some dumbasses in the world. Go take pics of your shitty paint in the sun tomorrow then call your friends and see if any of them have a bright halogen, put it on your paint and compare the pics.
Im basicly telling you.... you could place the lamp ON THE PAINT and it wouldnt be the amount of lumens as the sun to pick up the swirls which is how imperfections show up. eg: light diffraction.

How else do u see swirls? No wonder u detail for a living, you cant pass 5th grade.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM

dear God man, you two are trying to argue the wrong ****.

simple fact- REAL detailers (not you two clowns) use halogens because it is perfect lighting for finding imperfections in the paint.

AGAIN READ-

www.autopia.org
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

simple fact- REAL detailers (not you two clowns) use halogens because it is perfect lighting for finding imperfections in the paint.

AGAIN READ-

www.autopia.org
Yes autopia = science for lumens via your candle vs the sun....

LOL please tell me you dont claim your 300w lightbulb will show imperfections more than the sun beaming on the exact spot in the paint.

True it does help in enclosed areas but you wont get the same results as mother nature. re-read your 5th grade science paper on diffraction, refraction and lighting which is what is used to see these "swirls"

Im sorry... your right,

you have a 300w bulb producing 100,000 lux
Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
moved to Show and Shine
hey reign noob question where is the show and shine section haha
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Texas SS
hey reign noob question where is the show and shine section haha
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show-shine-140/
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 PM

Yes autopia = science for lumens via your candle vs the sun....

LOL please tell me you dont claim your 300w lightbulb will show imperfections more than the sun beaming on the exact spot in the paint.

True it does help in enclosed areas but you wont get the same results as mother nature. re-read your 5th grade science paper on diffraction, refraction and lighting which is what is used to see these "swirls"

Im sorry... your right,

you have a 300w bulb producing 100,000 lux
its ok man we can all see you are looking for some way of saving face after being shown you are a detailing moron. i would love to guide you on the right path when you finally see the light.

off topic- almost done with this STi, its worth checking out wheni post it up

Last edited by hatrickstu; 05-06-2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2008, 02:28 AM

www.autopia.net

eat some crow
Wow..........thanks for being so polite.

AGAIN READ-

www.autopia.org
Again........thanks for being so polite.

Well I am officially done with this thread because apparently I am a genius and a clown. Glad that was cleared up.

What a waste of time this was.

Last edited by DoubleLP; 05-07-2008 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2008, 11:19 AM

Im not going to argue that my light is brighter than the sun, im not a *******. It is better for detailing because you can put it anywhere on the car, at any time, and is perfect for seeing imperfections in the paint.

Quick Reply: new to washing car so