Show & Shine Detailing, washing, waxing, paint care, wax, etc.

Windshield covered in pits..

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Windshield covered in pits..

So last week while driving to work I noticed something all over my windshield. I tried the wipers and some washer fluid but nothing happend. I washed my car and used some glass cleaner on the outside of the windshield.. I drive away.. Still see specs everywhere. I began to think I got paint or something on it.. I get a razor blade and some alcohol.... but on close inspection I realize that Its actually tons of tiny chips. It is really bad.. There are about 10-15 per square inch covering my entire windshield. Not one spot is missing dings.. They are evenly dispersed. If you rub your hand across it feels rough. My windshield also appears to be kinda swirled.. Like maybe the wipers have scratched it once it was chipped? It really looks like hell. When I drive with the sun at the right angle it is really annoying..

Now.... How in the hell does this happen? Anyone seen anything like this? There appear to be no dings in the rest of my car but there are thousands... and I mean thousands only on my windshield.. I think I would have noticed if sand or rocks where hitting my car.. I am very **** about that kind of thing and never drive close to or behind large trucks. I just drive 10 miles to work and back and thats it. It doesn't really look like road debris could have caused it. I am almost wondering if it is a defect or caused by a chemical or something. I am stumped. It just kinda happened over night... It looks like I drove through a sandstorm at 210mph and all that got blasted was my window..

My next question is.. What the hell do I do about it? Its driving me crazy. How much is a new windshield? Do you think its even worth having a dealer look at to attempt a defect warranty? I don't think there is a chance in hell to get it warrantied... But I don't think a windshield should be destroyed that easily.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 AM

Hit it with a hammer and make an insurance claim, Have insurace pay for a new one.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 AM

that is really wierd dude, i agree w/ slvrlt, seems to be the only solution. As far as what caused it my best guess would be some kind of glass cleaner that got screwed up somehow. or something
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 AM

It is called normal wear and tear gentlemen. It happens to all windshields overtime. You pass a semi, they throw up dirt all the time it hits the windshield. Sand or salt from the winter.....same thing.

The ONLY solution.....buy a new windshield.

Go sit in someone else's car or truck that is a year or two old and you will see the same thing.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Acid Rain will leave pits on glass, I had it happen to me once it sucks. Did you try scraping it with a razor blade, It could be overspray.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
Go sit in someone else's car or truck that is a year or two old and you will see the same thing.
No, I've never seen anything like this.. I've owned and seen many vehicles with over 100,000 miles. It may be wear and tear... but it certainly isn't "normal" wear and tear.. not without me noticing something.

Originally Posted by SilvrLT
Hit it with a hammer and make an insurance claim, Have insurace pay for a new one.
It would probably be cheaper to repair the windshield myself than pay a $500 dollars deductible.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No clue. What have you been using to clean the windshield? Sounds like a chemical thing to have THOUSANDS of little dings.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 PM

mine s the same way little pits all over the whole windshield
Old 04-02-2008, 05:47 PM

idk. if it was rocks or whatever falling from a truck then there would be visible chips in his hood or bumper too. since he has only claimed damage on the windsheild there is definitly some going on with the windshield.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:49 PM

My Windshield is covered in about 200,000 super tine chips...Its not a big deal to me.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:08 AM

It's a bit hard to make a judgement call when haven't seen the windshield, but does sound like it could be just normal wear and tear of daily driving, things being flung up on your screen. You could try either Rainex or Prestone water dispursants. Both these products will cleanse surface rubbish off glass, and also clarify the glass. This may help.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:16 AM

I wash my car about once a week.. which includes whipping off the windshield. I am am aware of every ding and scratch that my car gets.. This IS NOT "normal" wear and tear.. It was NOT gradual.. This was ONE traumatic event which caused this. Which I think I would have noticed.. I just get in my car one day and my windshield is damaged. My paint and clearcoat is untouched.. Just wanted to clear that up.

It does look like a mist pattern... Like when I spray my hood and get detailer on my windshield.. I am kinda wondering if my detailer didn't eat the laminate off the glass by setting in the sun or something? meh

I am going to get rid of the balt soon enough.. to get a G8 GT or a new Camaro. I think I'll just deal with it.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
were you parked around any construction where they were cutting cement? this will do what you talking about. First hand expierience years ago.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 PM

I just got my first two tiny little pits as well... I was driving behind a semi and while I didn't notice anything hitting my windshield, i KNOW they weren't there before, and they were after.

Just hope they don't spread... I only have 2 or 3.