Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help
View Poll Results: Do we need more Ads and Language filters?
Yes it keeps the site running smooth and I like looking at ****
7.89%
No way enough ads
71.05%
Don't care
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Advertisements and Laguage Filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ads dont matter. the cussing thing is a joke. if you dont like cussing then that sucks lol. its not even about age. becuz im 17 but i pay for my car myself so i think that gives me all the right to be on this site. the site is not that bad. and like others have previously said, we are all old enough to handle someone saying a couple bad words. its not the end of the world and i really dont think this is an issue. my opinion tho
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 AM

ya the language filter filtered out *** in cummins diesel engine (in dodges)
Old 12-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 05Blackss.sc
ads dont matter. the cussing thing is a joke. if you dont like cussing then that sucks lol. its not even about age. becuz im 17 but i pay for my car myself so i think that gives me all the right to be on this site. the site is not that bad. and like others have previously said, we are all old enough to handle someone saying a couple bad words. its not the end of the world and i really dont think this is an issue. my opinion tho
to build upon this, why not do like the form I'm a part of does;

The official rule is to "keep it clean", and that foul language is only permitted in the 'off topic' subforum, which is only visible when signed in;

This rule is followed up by a discretionary measure that permits admin/mods to warn any member who's being profane/offensive, and either if the posts continue, they are followed up by a banning - or if the offense is bad enough to begin with, the member is banned;
generally the first ban is not permanent, but if they come back, and continue, they (and their ISP) are banned.

Granted in theory this would require more work, but generally we have found that the membership will keep it's own in check, and offensive posts will be reported;
In the end this system, on that site, was found to overall improve the site.

just trying to help.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by soundjunky

The official rule is to "keep it clean", and that foul language is only permitted in the 'off topic' subforum, which is only visible when signed in;

This rule is followed up by a discretionary measure that permits admin/mods to warn any member who's being profane/offensive, and either if the posts continue, they are followed up by a banning - or if the offense is bad enough to begin with, the member is banned;
generally the first ban is not permanent, but if they come back, and continue, they (and their ISP) are banned.

Granted in theory this would require more work, but generally we have found that the membership will keep it's own in check, and offensive posts will be reported;

just trying to help.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I would much prefer visiting a forum where this applies, then continue to visit this forum as it is now.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

just trying to help.
Hi and thank you for your comments. I'm in agreement as the sites I work with all follow the same format. The sites are very active with solid solid technical discussion unencumbered by unnecessary profanity. In my personal opinion profanity adds nothing to a discussion and in fact detracts from most. The issue of 'we are all adult' misses the point. It sets a tone for a community that any thing goes to the detriment of discussion. Additionally, an open forum format sees more flaming because it is quickly escalated with a few choice four letter words. I have always opted for personal responsibility as we all share in the benefits of this community. Please report abusive language, which is currently against the site rules.

However, my personal preferences are secondary to the community's desire. I hope over time the community will prefer to read technical and social discussions that are not peppered by profanity. Thanks.

Bob..

Last edited by speedlimit; 12-15-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hi and thank you for your comments. I'm in agreement as the sites I work with all follow the same format. The sites are very active with solid solid technical discussion unencumbered by unnecessary profanity. In my personal opinion profanity adds nothing to a discussion and in fact detracts from most. The issue of 'we are all adult' misses the point. It sets a tone for a community that any thing goes to the detriment of discussion. Additionally, an open forum format sees more flaming because it is quickly escalated with a few choice four letter words. I have always opted for personal responsibility as we all share in the benefits of this community. Please report abusive language, which is currently against the site rules.

However, my personal preferences are secondary to the community's desire. I hope over time the community will prefer to read technical and social discussions that are not peppered by profanity. Thanks.

Bob..
I couldn't agree more! Bob, you are the man. I'm glad you guys are trying to turn this site around.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for speaking up on the matter Bob;
I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM

I thought this site stopped blocking other web site names??

like a year ago?!?!

I stumbled across something today which tells me that there is in fact still a censored list being used (which means the swear blocker is still turned on in the site's vBulletin programming) - so odds are there are no "bugs", just words ect that maybe don't need to be censored;

lnf performance dot com = *******************

gm sport compact dot net = *******************

How do I know this? - I'm admin on another vBulletin based forum, and I played with the censor list before scrapping it all together (iirc).
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
I thought this site stopped blocking other web site names??

like a year ago?!?!

I stumbled across something today which tells me that there is in fact still a censored list being used (which means the swear blocker is still turned on in the site's vBulletin programming) - so odds are there are no "bugs", just words ect that maybe don't need to be censored;

lnf performance dot com = *******************

gm sport compact dot net = *******************

How do I know this? - I'm admin on another vBulletin based forum, and I played with the censor list before scrapping it all together (iirc).
Hi!

We have made no changes to blocked URL's since the site was sold. The swear blocker has two words blocked when logged in. That's it. Thanks.

Bob..
Old 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by speedlimit
Hi!

We have made no changes to blocked URL's since the site was sold. The swear blocker has two words blocked when logged in. That's it. Thanks.

Bob..
why is there even a url blocker??

EDIT: earlier it didn't limit itself to typed url's;

with url (no spaces):
lnf performance . com = *******************

without url (not name end):
lnf performance = lnfperformance (earlier for some reason in this situation it removed the webname)

After some of the earlier discussion, I had assumed this was going to be "fixed"...

Originally Posted by redcobalt07
do the names of the other cobalt forums need censored too?
frankly, this is hte only site I have seen do this...

lets not kid anyone either, this is the big dog for Cobalt sites, no others come close;
imho, I'd figure that any links would eventually result in more people eventually migrating here...

I know that I have linked this site on several others (none of which were Cobalt sites though)...
Originally Posted by redcobalt07
well it just seems childish to censor there name, and yeah it was good ol johnnyB that censored the names cause he was a crybaby about them, but with the new ownership of the site would it really kill them to uncensor the names?
it's really your call, but seems to be absurd - I still feel that this is the big dog that all other related sites are stacked against...

but that's just my two cents.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by PrincessTurbo
I know it costs money for upkeep. I don't know I thought vendors decals and premium memberships helped with that.
I'm sure they didn't take it over to run for free..
BTW..nice partner site (look on the home page)
srt-4mation.com

..."Beverly Hills liposuction "

Last edited by Perfect.disguise; 01-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Perfect.disguise
I'm sure they didn't take it over to run for free..
BTW..nice partner site
srt-4mation.com

..."Beverly Hills liposuction "
BAH-HA-HA!!!

if this was a funding deal, I know a ton of people either gave up waiting for decals, or simply won't order them because of the typical lag times...

I know on my site, no one has bit the bullet to by vinyls becasue of the amount they would cost in the end (not enough demand/interest to print off a butt-load)...
Old 02-11-2011, 12:04 PM

@ Bob;
is this juvenile website blocker going to be pulled at any time?

I mean, this is the "big-dog" of cobalt/ecotec sits... I really see no need for you to block other urls.