Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help
View Poll Results: Ban Political threads?
Yes, ban them all!
63.40%
No, I like them
36.60%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Ban Election/Politics Talk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^haha

if we ban the politics chat will the banners go away?

Old 08-21-2008, 01:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully.

I hate thinking about either one of those pompous...'winners' running this country.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 AM

yeppers
Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ban the threads and then get the mods to make a sticky listing different sites to redirecting people to forums that allow such threads.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by DJVC
Just ban the threads and then get the mods to make a sticky listing different sites to redirecting people to forums that allow such threads.
FTW

Seriously a great idea.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:45 AM

you cant redirect people to the redline forums, why would they allow a re-direct to other politic forums?
Old 08-21-2008, 01:47 AM

You can't redirect to competitive forums.

www.gixxer.com

www.ecotecforum.com

etc etc
Old 08-21-2008, 01:51 AM

i guess...idk, i just feel that this forum gets boring at times, and by allowing people to discuss stuff like that keeps them around, and gives us stuff to do here when we are bored
Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 AM

i was only talking about the political forums since this whole thread is about banning political topics.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerBee
aint there some audio thread you suppose to be looking at
nope everyone is focusing on the election over their stereos and really pissing me off. I gotta do something about it
Old 08-21-2008, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
nope everyone is focusing on the election over their stereos and really pissing me off. I gotta do something about it
hahha hey the door speakers looks real good btw
Old 08-21-2008, 01:57 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
thanks
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
This isn't about your "freedom of speech", this is a private enterprise and the owner of the forum has final say on what gets posted on his server/site that he pays for.

I'm not going to "retaliate" just because we differ in opinions.
So if the owner has final say then why in the hell are YOU making this thread? Just so he can see the poll?

You are not going to retaliate because you know deep down its wrong for you guys to outright say "do not talk about the elections," and you know its not ever going to be enforcable. You are sadly mistaken if you think it will never come up because you "ban" it. In the end people are going to discuss things about their daily lives on here, which in some way will come back today's economy, rules, leaders, etc. As soon as government is hinted at you better believe the election is going to come to mind and someone is going to reply in a way that backs their beliefs and the man that represents them. Whether it be directly or indirectly, politics, which elections are a part of, will NEVER and should NEVER be eliminiated from this or any other information source in America. If you have a problem with that , and you should, then maybe you should not be among the leaders enforcing this communistic type rule.

Last edited by hatrickstu; 08-21-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
So if the owner has final say then why in the hell are YOU making this thread? Just so he can see the poll?
I made it as a suggestion for the forum to discuss and then present the idea to the Admin, that is what this whole section is about, coming up with ideas that could possibly make this forum better.

You are not going to retaliate because you know deep down its wrong for you guys to outright say "do not talk about the elections," and you know its not ever going to be enforcable. You are sadly mistaken if you think it will never come up because you "ban" it. In the end people are going to discuss things about their daily lives on here, which in some way will come back today's economy, rules, leaders, etc. As soon as government is hinted at you better believe the election is going to come to mind and someone is going to reply in a way that backs their beliefs and the man that represents them. Whether it be directly or indirectly, politics, which elections are a part of, will NEVER and should NEVER be eliminiated from this or any other information source in America. If you have a problem with that , and you should, then maybe you should not be among the leaders enforcing this communistic type rule.
I'm not going to retaliate because it WOULD be wrong of me to enforce something that currently doesn't exist. It is easily enforceable, threads that get created to discuss politics or the election will be locked, removed, and the OP reminded of said policy about not creating threads on the topic. I'm not telling you what to believe or that no one should discuss politics ever anywhere, I'm just suggesting that we don't discuss it here, on our CAR forum, there are tons of other outlets for you to discuss those topics at. All it does is create problems, arguments, and ect.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

We have less than 3 months before elections. By the time it is pushed i think it will be over and done with. It also gives us something to do when the lounge is zzZzzZZz.

It may be a car forum but check the lounge description.

Off Topic PG-13. Introductions, cars, movies, work, relationships, etc.

We arent taking election talks anywhere beyond the lounge.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:03 AM

I made it as a suggestion for the forum to discuss and then present the idea to the Admin, that is what this whole section is about, coming up with ideas that could possibly make this forum better.

I'm not going to retaliate because it WOULD be wrong of me to enforce something that currently doesn't exist. It is easily enforceable, threads that get created to discuss politics or the election will be locked, removed, and the OP reminded of said policy about not creating threads on the topic. I'm not telling you what to believe or that no one should discuss politics ever anywhere, I'm just suggesting that we don't discuss it here, on our CAR forum, there are tons of other outlets for you to discuss those topics at. All it does is create problems, arguments, and ect.
Ok if we are going by that philosophy we need out outlaw talking about war, abortion, stuff on the news, and anything else that has nothing to do with cars. I sure as hell do not want to see any of your pictures or DC5's that do not have a car in them either.

What are you going to do at night, come in and search "government," "Obama," and "McCain," every time to issue bannings and warnings? I see that going over well. Let it go. MAKE A SUBFORUM PRIMARILY FOR SUCH MATERIAL. Its pretty damn simple.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Ok if we are going by that philosophy we need out outlaw talking about war, abortion, stuff on the news, and anything else that has nothing to do with cars. I sure as hell do not want to see any of your pictures or DC5's that do not have a car in them either.

What are you going to do at night, come in and search "government," "Obama," and "McCain," every time to issue bannings and warnings? I see that going over well. Let it go. MAKE A SUBFORUM PRIMARILY FOR SUCH MATERIAL. Its pretty damn simple.
have you by any chance noticed that too many people just post thread wherever?
You said yourself banning all election talk wouldn't work, so how would creating another subforum?

i think if the threads just got locked or deleted after 20-30 posts people might eventually stop. maybe, i really don't know
Old 08-21-2008, 10:06 AM

BAN BAN BAN!!! I see them as argument threads and another ***** thread.....
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by brickerenator
have you by any chance noticed that too many people just post thread wherever?
You said yourself banning all talk wouldn't work, so how would creating another subforum?
most people would use it, unless they went off topic. I dont see why people are tired of it when they are clicking them to see, unless they are just tired of obama bashers bruising their "messiah" of a presidential nominee.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 AM

I realize that I'm Canadian, and this election won't directly affect me... but in the near future we;ll be having an election too... and it could get heated like this as well.

Anyways... I suggest that we do the same thing that happened with the street racing threads. If people don't like them, they should stay out of them. Isn't free speech and our rights to talk politics something that we as Americans or Canadians value anymore? As Stu said... if it comes to that, we should just ban anything that isn't cars.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Omega_5
I realize that I'm Canadian, and this election won't directly affect me... but in the near future we;ll be having an election too... and it could get heated like this as well.

Anyways... I suggest that we do the same thing that happened with the street racing threads. If people don't like them, they should stay out of them. Isn't free speech and our rights to talk politics something that we as Americans or Canadians value anymore? As Stu said... if it comes to that, we should just ban anything that isn't cars.
qft

both hatrick and omega.

I think censoring certain things like that will devalue the lounge for what it was made for.... "anything goes".
Old 08-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

I really don't have a problem with banning discussions on war, abortion, stuff on the news. People complain so much about the "immaturity" of this site members and I really don't think that allowing such discussions helps the forums maturity level and in fact usually does the opposite, we have more issues here with O.T./Lounge/Political threads getting out of hand then anything else around so maybe it's time we trim away some of the problem areas and guide the forum back to a more professional/knowledge driven community that it once was.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

I think many people (including me) are just sick of hearing it all. I've stopped listening to the news almost entirely. The past four days I never checked the news once, and never heard Obama or Mccain's name at all
i've never felt better

I really don't have a problem with banning discussions on war, abortion, stuff on the news. People complain so much about the "immaturity" of this site members and I really don't think that allowing such discussions helps the forums maturity level and in fact usually does the opposite, we have more issues here with O.T./Lounge/Political threads getting out of hand then anything else around so maybe it's time we trim away some of the problem areas and guide the forum back to a more professional/knowledge driven community that it once was.
Agreed

just take it slowly

Last edited by brickerenator; 08-21-2008 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by rrutter81
qft

both hatrick and omega.

I think censoring certain things like that will devalue the lounge for what it was made for.... "anything goes".
The lounge is not anything goes...
Old 08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Banned

The lounge is not anything goes...
hey if you allow political discussions in the dungeon you might see a jump in premium memberships

Quick Reply: Ban Election/Politics Talk?