Site Development and Help Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help
View Poll Results: Should the site administrators have a vendor rating system on this site?
Yes i want a vendor rating system
97.22%
no i don't like that idea
2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Vendor Rating System (JonnyB please read)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:46 PM
Doc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like this example....kinda like ebay. It gives the buyer and seller a voice
Trade Rating page
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM

my issue has been over for a month, but was 7 months in th ongoing stage. is a month too late?
some people concieve and pop a kid before my stuff showed up. BS, the ppl ougt to know.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Banned

yes i agree but as a result of so many members losing so much moneyrecently i think this needs to be put in place. i saw around 1000 bucks between 3 people on another thread.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted_SS
donna i completely agree with everything there. allowing the customer to have a response will probably cause bashing and i didn't want to start that so that why i was saying the 5 star idea. amazon.com has the best rating system IMO. once the order is shipped you can rate the seller and make a short comment and then the vendor can respond to the comment. it is all out in the open.
ive never dealt with amazon before , i say ebay because i like how they let the vendor go back after negatives to dispute (IF it is reasonable) and its pretty much the only thing i have ordered from in the past.

i think this will turn out well.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc
I like this example....kinda like ebay. It gives the buyer and seller a voice
Trade Rating page
can you do a screen capture and post it here? you have to be a member to view it on that site
Old 02-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by badg1rl
if your going to do it then i suggest its just like ebay. the vendor should have a chance to respond to negative comments. otherwise i dont see this flying, based on personal experience, some people get upset without working things out with the vendor first. this has led to several of the most rediculous posts i have ever seen regarding things that could have easily been solved.

say Johnny orders something and maybe misinterperates what is states on given site such as ship times etc...then he gets pissed off because he doesnt understand the business practice and says screw the vendor im pissed...im giving them a negative.

now the vendor will have a shitty mark based on something that could have been resolved and was a misunderstanding or misinterpritation.

Jony, I know kenny sent you a vendors rules post a while ago. I cant find it but i would post it up so everyone can see ... can you do that? do you still have the email?
in it, it details what constitutes being a vendor, and what makes a vendor eligible to run GBs and other offers on the site to weed out potention scammers.
I think had this been in place at the time , none of the people who got ripped of would have but who knows. at any rate i think that needs to be revisited.

At any rate im neither for or against the rating system. i think that the vendor should be able to contact back though....because given the situation, i see some unfair ratings going towards vendors without them being able to voice their own opinion.

also, i think without a reason as to why you are giving a vendor a negetive, this also will not work fairly. if you're going to give a negative, say why. same thing with a positive.
first and foremost....this should be based on currect transactions. This will ensure that no past disputes which are irrelevant to the situation are thrown into the mix. also, i think you must order from the vendor to be able to voice your opinion.

so to make a long story short
A. you should have an order with the vendor to vote
b. you must state why you voted the way you did (this will help the vendor improve on shortcomings)
C. vendor should be able to respond.
i didnt vote yet....im at a mAYBE right now....if its set in place correctly then i am for it.

but like i said, it should be just negetive, positive.
that's pretty much exactly what i posted back on the first page...
Old 02-19-2007, 01:55 PM

yes i agree but as a result of so many members losing so much moneyrecently i think this needs to be put in place. i saw around 1000 bucks between 3 people on another thread.

when we saw how many GBs were going on a red light went on....danger!
this happens a lot as i explained in a previous post. these people come on the site to make a quick buck open like 10 GBs, get all the orders, then Bounce... seems like no one can be trusted these days and its sad,
we emailed Jony to let him know and sent a detailed rules and regulations for vendors post to him.

no vendor would be permitted to start a GB or discount thread until they were a vendor for 6 months. people looking for fast cash wont want to wait that long and wont come here to pull scams. the post also went into regulating how many GBs a vendor could hold in a given month, yr. etc. i think the same should apply for anyone selling anything on the site. You should have to be here for at least 6 months. this way, no one is coming here just to screw the members and leave.

i think it goes without saying though that people know who the trustworthy vendors are on this site who arent looking to bend them over.
take precautions in buying from people....if it sounds too good to be true,..it probably is.

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
that's pretty much exactly what i posted back on the first page...
sorry....im impatient today. LOL ive been running around all day just popping in. must have missed it. my bad,

Last edited by badg1rl; 02-19-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-19-2007, 02:05 PM

In order to make the system as fair as possible, I would think it would be best to use more than just one dimension and have PRE-SET selections. i.e.:

How many BUSINESS DAYS (not including weekends and holidays) after your order was confirmed did you receive your item:
3-5 business days
6-10 business days
11-15 business days
more than 15 business days

Were you notified of any delays in shipping, such as an item being backordered and/or special order status?
yes
no

When contacting the vendor with a question about your order, how long before you received a response:
0-2 business days
3-5 business days
6-10 business days
more than 10 business days

If you spoke with someone from the vendor either through phone or e-mail, how would you rate their helpfulness:
Extremely helpful
Somewhat helpful
A little helpful
Not helpful at all

How would you compare this vendor's prices to other vendors/stores/websites:
Much lower
A little lower
About the same
A little moe
Much more

How would you compare this vendor's shipping/handling charges to other vendors/stores/websites:
Much lower
A little lower
About the same
A little more
Much more

That's just what I could think up off the top of my head. BUT, it would eliminate bashing and it would take a LOT more for a vendor to get negative marks plus it would provide more useful information to potential customers. You could give a store more of a "profile" score on prices, shipping cost, shipping speed, customer service speed, customer service quality, and an overall satisfaction score.

To me that would be the most beneficial system for EVERYONE, vendor and buyer alike. If I'm in a time crunch on an item, I may prefer to order from a vendor that has a higher customer service speed and shipping speed rating and pay less attention to price and customer service quality. Whereas for another order it's a non-essential part so I may want to go with the cheaper price and cheaper shipping cost because it really doesn't matter how fast it gets to me...
Old 02-19-2007, 02:10 PM

brainstorming gets good ideas up doesnt it. l like the last post. keep expanding on it, but looks like its turning into a survey.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Banned

has jonnyB read this yet or no????
Old 02-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Feedback & some kind of "rating" system would be good for both Vendors and Consumers.

Negative/positive feedback is ESSENTIAL for all businesses. It gives them knowledge of where their strengths and weaknesses are. What about using a 5 tier rating system along with overall Positive/Negative experience, 1-5 stars for things such as Products offered, Customer Service, Pricing, Shipping, Ease to work with & Overall Rating (or along those lines)?

For example:

(vendor)
ABC Co. & XYZ Co.
ABC - rated 95% positive, 5% negative
of the 5%, 60% of responses are S/H related - that gives future possible customers an idea that there's been shipping issues with past orders placed - AND know WHAT TO EXPECT IF THE SAME SITUATION ARISES. But overall, obviously a good vendor to work with...

XYZ - rated 40% positive, 60% negative
of the 60% negative, 90% had communication issues. For customers who like to know what's going on with their order, this may not be the vendor for them. Overall, perhaps future customer should look for another company with similar products...

Likewise, same goes for Customers....

Criticism is overall, A GOOD THING, whether negative or positive.

Sidenote: I'm self-employed, run my own biz and deal with ALL issues personally - BECAUSE THAT'S MY JOB AND I HAVE TO! Who else is there to blame/thank? Being a photographer, 90% of the time, I get ONLY one chance to satisfy the customer (most people only have one wedding ceremony). Vendors on the board, get more than one as they deal with products that can be returned & exchanged and make bad situation into a good one.

EDIT: AlleyCat has a VERY similar idea as I was thinking, but I must type slower.... so sorry for any similarities...
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM

um, i forgot my camera at home, would the bride and groom mind waiting for me to get my **** together, lol. i can visualize it now. tough racket, brides are in a snit til its over, even if things are going great teehee.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by firestorm
brainstorming gets good ideas up doesnt it. l like the last post. keep expanding on it, but looks like its turning into a survey.
Pretty much a survey. I work in research so I deal with stuff like this (only for psychological research, not market research) daily.

Basically, the more closed-ended you make the responses the less likely someone will be to outright bash a vendor. Plus it gives standardization. Waiting 7 business days for an item may be perfectly normal to one person but someone else might feel that 7 business days is an outrage. In a survey, they're weighted the same. It takes out the subjectivity and that's the ONLY way you can really get a fair assessment of ANYTHING.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Doc

can you do a screen capture and post it here? you have to be a member to view it on that site
I didn't realize that.
Here you go

Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by firestorm
um, i forgot my camera at home, would the bride and groom mind waiting for me to get my **** together, lol. i can visualize it now. tough racket, brides are in a snit til its over, even if things are going great teehee.
Yea, now I hope I'm not jinxed for my next wedding.... LOL jk
Old 02-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by intense_SS
has jonnyB read this yet or no????
yes he has...he's looking into a system as we speak
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Banned

I think that it should be able to be voted on by all members.

Obviously, some votes can be appealed by the vendor, incase there is un true bashing.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

^^ X2
Old 02-19-2007, 05:00 PM

would the appeal work before or after the remark was made publicly?
what if a vendor gets notified that they have neg. feedback so they have the option to appeal before the comments posted?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

would the appeal work before or after the remark was made publicly?
what if a vendor gets notified that they have neg. feedback so they have the option to appeal before the comments posted?
i suggested all votes must be approved by a moderator first... this way, if it's not legit, it doesn't even get seen publicly
Old 02-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Banned

i don't think it would matter but i think that the negative comment and the response from the seller should be posted. i definately think a valid order number needs to be there so the seller can verify an actual order was placed.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
i suggested all votes must be approved by a moderator first... this way, if it's not legit, it doesn't even get seen publicly
ok thats good...but will the vendor be able to appeal before it goes public as well?

will there be a way to notify the vendor first or will we find out same as everyone else

im pretty sure that when you dispute on paypal or ebay they send a note to the seller saying somone is contesting...then the vendor can make a response before the rating is affected ..not sure though

has anyone done that before and know how that works?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:14 PM

i don't think it would matter but i think that the negative comment and the response from the seller should be posted. i definately think a valid order number needs to be there so the seller can verify an actual order was placed.
The only issue I have with this is - what happens if the order was cancelled??? I've dealt with situations before where service was HORRIBLE to deal with and I would LOVE to give other buyers a forewarning about, but there were cases where the order ended up getting cancelled (Thank God). While I can't judge the shipping process (nor would I), there's been situations where the communication with the seller was slow or even non-existant and their staff was downright rude. Or perhaps someone purchased something and then either cancelled themselves or the seller cancelled but they never got or were slow to get their refund. I still think situations like that merit feedback, and there would be an order number, but the seller may or may not have that on record as a "valid" order number depending on how long things stay in their system.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:15 PM

we need it! Just another thread where people can discuss a sales transaction between another member
Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM

no vendor would be permitted to start a GB or discount thread until they were a vendor for 6 months. people looking for fast cash wont want to wait that long and wont come here to pull scams. the post also went into regulating how many GBs a vendor could hold in a given month, yr. etc. i think the same should apply for anyone selling anything on the site. You should have to be here for at least 6 months. this way, no one is coming here just to screw the members and leave.
I think this would be devastating to some of the smaller companies that are legit and trying to get started. Some of them need that boost from doing group buys to help them get on there feet. The smaller startup companies also end up usually being a great asset to the ss.net community. I like the idea of having a voting system. It does keep the vendors in check. However there still is that fine line between bashing and good input. One way that could help reduce the amount of scamming is to have the vendors supply cobaltss.net with a copy of both there state and federal business license. This would allow them to have proper paperwork and do a check on them to make sure they are legit right off the bat. If there is an issue and a company bounces out on people the information needed to file against them would be in trusted hands.

Quick Reply: Vendor Rating System (JonnyB please read)