South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, and FL

Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecotec forged short block
well im droping the tvs set up so here the final build im doing going to have a call with zzp on tuesday and see what there problem is hopefully they and get everything right this go around

Model:2.4L Stroker LSJ turbo
Core charge:Sending in my core first
Option 1:Add ZZP neutral balance shafts
Option 2:Aluminum flywheel for stroker
Option 3:ATI SFI turbo balancer
Option 4:Add Carrillo rods
Option 5:JE 9.0:1 pistons
Shipping:Freight shipping to business $5,319.99 $5,319.99
ZZP Comp Cams Ecotec cams
VIN :
Model:Stage 2 Turbo
Option 1:Add ZZP springs and retainers
Option 2:Billet steel blanks $1,129.99 $1,129.99
Ecotec Viton valve seals
VIN : $19.99 $19.99
HPTuners VCM Suite
VIN :
Model:MPVI Pro
Option 1:Add Stage 2 file cobalt/ion only $649.99 $649.99
GM alternator for turbo swapped LSJ
VIN :
Option 1:Full kit $234.99 $234.99
Rotated rear trans mount Gen 2
VIN :
Option 1:My car is lowered $99.99 $99.99
Rotated front trans mount Gen 2
VIN :
Option 1:My car is lowered $99.99 $99.99
Billet engine mount
VIN : $179.99 $179.99
Exedy Hyper single clutch kit
VIN :
Model:Stage 3 $1,189.99 $1,189.99
ZZP LSJ axles
VIN :
Model:Stage 3 $1,314.99 $1,314.99
ZZP Control arms for Cobalt/Redline
VIN :
Color:Red $499.99 $499.99
Sub Total: $10,739.89
Level V:

Cobalt S20G Turbocharger
Cobalt S20G Turbo Oil Solution
Cobalt Direct-Mount Turbo Manifold
Cobalt Quick-Mount V-band Turbo Exhaust Housing and MaxFlow Downpipe System
Cobalt Turbo Air Intake System
Cobalt Front-Mount Intercooler

Cobalt Charge Air Piping System
Cobalt Billet Blow-Off Valve System
Cobalt StreetRace CNC Billet SheetMetal Intake Manifold
Cobalt Turbo Fuel Injectors/Harness mod/PCM calibration
H TS-2934 $4385.07

misc 3000.00 for dyno and roll cage slicks ect.

total build 18124.96
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM

....that is entirely too much money to be dropping into a Cobalt... not one to tell anyone what to do with their money... but you're going to spend $20,000 to HOPE for 10s in a car you CAN'T enjoy without drag slicks or on a public street

unless you plan on racing from a 65 roll, lol
Old 08-26-2011, 11:24 PM

....raced a C6 Zo6 tonight... ok, not a race... got absolutely annihilated by a C6 Zo6 tonight, lol... it would be bad enough if I raced a STOCK Ls7, this one had headers/exhaust, a cam, and a tune.... Jesus H. Christ

lol

honestly, I had him through 1st gear... my 1st gear... but once he got traction, well, with me starting about 1 car out and him struggling to get traction, by the time he hit 2nd gear.. I was about 9? car lengths behind, lol... and i'm not exaggerating and I wish I was... guy says he's "expecting" around 600 at the wheels, I believe it, i'd thought it had more

the guy bought the car about 4 weeks ago, but has had it back running(with the cam and ****) since Wednesday night... I was the 1st pull he's had with a car, we knew I was going to lose... we were both just curious as to how bad it would be... I believe this sets the new standard in getting it handed to me... a ridiculous car... guy was in his 40s but is pretty cool... he told me he is planning on taking it to Steele in a few weeks, if you guys see a wicked fast Silver LS7 C6 Zo6 in the next few weeks, its probably him... he told me he's about to get a personalized tag on it but hasnt decided on one yet so once I see it on it, i'll give a better identification on it...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:34 PM

Damn

Joel needs a new clutch his is shot
Jake ran a cobra so far won he got a 15.0 cobra got 16.1
Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 AM

2 weeks and I might be able to make Steele, going to try to bring a couple of other guys with me... some people have said they were interested

ran another 2-valve GT tonight, tired of wasting my time with them, lol... this one had "DASHIN" on his tag, he was a doucher... about a week ago when I was leaving class he came up revving at me, then turned off before anything could happen... tonight I got behind him at a red light in the middle of nowhere(don't even know why the redlight is even there, a stop sign would be more than appropriate, lol)... he went WOT and I was having to feather the throttle to avoid running over him until it went to 4-lanes, then as soon as I switched lanes and got about a car on him, I let out... he came up and had the audacity to say "drag racing is done from a stop, not from a roll"... I then proceeded to tell him i'd run him for every dollar in my wallet from a ******* dig, lol

he was trying to act like a hot shot in front of his g/f because he'd just got thrashed in front of her(could have put BUS LENGTHS on him) and I called his bluff...

I can't wait until I get some mods on it... the mustang guys in town aren't fairing so well with it now and no one with a 5.0 will actually run them... the price of being one of the young guns with a new sports car...
Old 08-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 08inBama
2 weeks and I might be able to make Steele, going to try to bring a couple of other guys with me... some people have said they were interested

ran another 2-valve GT tonight, tired of wasting my time with them, lol... this one had "DASHIN" on his tag, he was a doucher... about a week ago when I was leaving class he came up revving at me, then turned off before anything could happen... tonight I got behind him at a red light in the middle of nowhere(don't even know why the redlight is even there, a stop sign would be more than appropriate, lol)... he went WOT and I was having to feather the throttle to avoid running over him until it went to 4-lanes, then as soon as I switched lanes and got about a car on him, I let out... he came up and had the audacity to say "drag racing is done from a stop, not from a roll"... I then proceeded to tell him i'd run him for every dollar in my wallet from a ******* dig, lol

he was trying to act like a hot shot in front of his g/f because he'd just got thrashed in front of her(could have put BUS LENGTHS on him) and I called his bluff...

I can't wait until I get some mods on it... the mustang guys in town aren't fairing so well with it now and no one with a 5.0 will actually run them... the price of being one of the young guns with a new sports car...
If you ever come on down to Meridian here in Mississippi I know a few 2v's, 3v's, and 4v's that will run you if your looking for a challenge. But get some mods on that thing and I could have a lot more that would run you. Glad you are enjoying the new car, I drove my buddies 5.0 yesterday when me and the wife came up to bham car shopping and it was quite fun. Only problem I have is **** sounds like a racecar loud as **** when your taken off and you just get to much unwanted attention from everything lol.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:16 PM

yeah... I have no doubt your buddies 5.0 would get me right now, lol... and even if it outran every 2-valve here(which it won't)... i'd still mod... I mod my cars for my enjoyment, not to be faster than someone else
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Agreed any car can be made faster then someone else, its all about how much money you want to dump into your car to make fast.

Now if we start talking stock for stock cars, thats a whole other story.

Stock for stock, equal drivers, New Mustang 5.0 > New Camro SS
Old 08-28-2011, 03:04 PM

gap isn't as large as some lead it on to be though, most stock camaros run 13.0-13.1s... the fastest stock one has went 12.58, more than a couple have gone 12.7-12.80s... but "average" about 13.0s... the "average" e.t. for a 5.0, about 12.90s..

yes they've gone faster, just like the Camaros... same story as the Cobalts, we couldn't all run around claiming 13.50s stock(which was done by a couple of folks) when MOST people were going 13.90-14.20s

point being?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2fo3KHupBM

that is what sub-par driving can do as that was against a stock '02 SS... I mean it wasn't shabby on the Mustangs part, just shows not every 5.0 out there has a professional driver testing it for a magazine either

exhaust, headers, and a tune later... i'll pit the 6-speed auto against one from a dig... will even let him have the same

because the Camaros don't have shorty headers from the factory... our gains with LT headers are a genuine gain over 30whp in fact, not the 10-15whp you'll gain from the shorties to long tubes with a 5.0

the reason the mustang guys want to talk bolt-on vs bolt-on and have a comparison is because hardly ANYONE builds a bolt-on Camaro.. why in the **** would you if for $700 you can have a cam/pushrods/valvesprings and about 70 MORE whp? you don't hear the Mustangs boys chirping about Cammed Ls1s, L99s, or LS3s... and there is a reason why...

hey its not our fault a cam job for us is less than a $1000 and theirs is around $2000... we can have a cam and the bottle before they have a set of cams

I don't really care for stock for stock, because for me... because stock to me means time I owned the car before I started modding it... no one races stock cars

Last edited by 08inBama; 08-28-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Adam be careful of tuning that thing if you want to keep your warranty, you use the same Global A platform, GM can detect tunes now and if they have any questions they can get the Tech to take a snapshot and send it to them to check stuff over.

Here's a good read about the new ECM:
GM Techlink: Search Results

I might not have tuned mine if I would have known about it sooner, but its to late now.

Make sure to read the very bottom about DO NOT SWAP CONTROL MODULES.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:28 PM

^ still bet Vince's method would work... people don't realize that MOST of these tuners, like the handheld ones DO NOT do a complete rewrite of the ECM, they just flash it back to stock... the flash counter gets changed, etc...

that is where the MAJORITY of the people who get busted, get busted... the other people are the people who can't flash back to stock before taking their car in

Vince's software does a COMPLETE rewrite of the ECM, i'll ask him more before I tune it and continue to do some investigating myself, but from what I read people are still talking about flash counts and CPNs and i've even seen Vince's "stealth" tune mentioned and the vast majority call B.S... which we Cobalt owners KNOW it works, too many people have flashed back to stock and never had GM bat an eye

besides Paul, I expect to do Longtube headers and well... the warranty will be gone anyway when I do... that'll be on down the road though, planning on a catback, cai, and tune 1st

though my mod list is as follows:

1.) catback w/ x-pipe(sound mod, can't take this quite ass V8)
2.) 20% tint
3.) powdercoated(black) wheels
4.) LED smoked tail lights, possibly with the sequential signals, though right now no one is offering both... its either stock sequential or smoked LED... if I can't get the sequential smoked, i'm just going with the smoked tail lights... don't want to VHT these
5.) CAI
6.) tune
7.) headers
8.) retune(obviously)

I may do more than one of those at a time but that is the order i'm going to do them

honestly, the warranty may be voided on that setup, but I trust it... the drivetrain on these cars is beefier than the LS1 f-bodies and as far as the engine, those mods haven't even began to break into it... besides, i've had this car for 3 weeks and put about 700 miles on it... and that is with me driving it a lot because of the "new" factor... it won't be seeing the road a whole lot anyway... pretty much: Thursdays to class, then the weekend(everywhere).. that 700 miles in 3 weeks will turn to about 300 miles in a month before long, especially in the winter... doesn't mean I didn't buy the car to drive, its just driven leisurely

and of course, on down the road when the new wears out... it'll probably see a cam and more... i'm just going to keep it conservative for a while

Last edited by 08inBama; 08-28-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:33 AM

Nah I wasn't talking about Wes's 5.0 I was talking about other cars. I was just saying we have an abundance of quick mustangs around here for some reason everyone likes to suck on fords **** here I guess. lol

Don't get the wrong idea I wasn't downing your car Adam lol and why does it always have to be I'm talking about Wes's car :P **** Wes and his POS mustang :P.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBThrasher22
Nah I wasn't talking about Wes's 5.0 I was talking about other cars. I was just saying we have an abundance of quick mustangs around here for some reason everyone likes to suck on fords **** here I guess. lol

Don't get the wrong idea I wasn't downing your car Adam lol and why does it always have to be I'm talking about Wes's car :P **** Wes and his POS mustang :P.
I thought you just liked riding Wes's nuts
Old 08-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by HHRSSouth
I thought you just liked riding Wes's nuts
mmmmmm nuts!

Oh wait what were we talking about again?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 PM

from the man himself, Vinces says bring on Global A
Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM

I have his tune already for my Regal, I was just warning you in case they could detect it.
Old 08-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Vince informed me that with it, if the ECM were to get sent off... they'd probably be able to detect it(IF the tune was still loaded)... but with a complete rewrite, they'd be out of luck... he says even with the tune loaded you'd beat the dealerships method, it would be once GM broke the ECM down in one of their labs they'd find the tune(if it was still loaded) and that is why its best to flash back to stock if possible before taking it in

regardless, this bitch is getting tuned
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Well when Richard (guy with black ss/tc) gets me the info on if/when he's going to dyno down at Speed South on Sat., I might set me up and appointment around the same time to dyno the Regal.

If not I will still come down for his dyno, so I will be in B-town this Saturday.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:47 PM

I might go see my dad really depends on money and if he has managed to add my aunt to his visitation list. If not I'm down to visit although Gf will be with and she's well..... a bitch for lack of better words. We can go to joels after
Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Well Richard's appt is for 6pm Sat. if I do dyno that day it would have to be before his appt. as I want to be home to watch the Oregon vs. LSU game with the wife.

Yes, my wife absolutely loves college and pro football.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM

i'm going to be watching UGA/Boise mostly, while flipping back to LSU/Oregon... either way, by that time i'll probably be lit, lol
Old 08-30-2011, 05:00 PM
TTR Powered

The appt isnt til weds 9-7-11 of next week at 6pm. The guys at speed south is tied up this week. so i'm still installing my GM stage 1 map bars and retuning it tonight. And i'll be able to buy the BNR in about a week. And paul i'm gonna buy your BOV and those mounts too here soon. i'm dead ready to get the turbo upgraded and see the power output to come. so thats why i'm doing another dyno before the install of BNR. to compare stock turbo, to BNR. Which i know the power gain will be over 40whp+ or at least somewhere around there lol
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Team SS
The appt isnt til weds 9-7-11 of next week at 6pm. The guys at speed south is tied up this week. so i'm still installing my GM stage 1 map bars and retuning it tonight. And i'll be able to buy the BNR in about a week. And paul i'm gonna buy your BOV and those mounts too here soon. i'm dead ready to get the turbo upgraded and see the power output to come. so thats why i'm doing another dyno before the install of BNR. to compare stock turbo, to BNR. Which i know the power gain will be over 40whp+ or at least somewhere around there lol
Sorry thought you meant Sat. in the Txt because we were talking about Sat. the whole time yesterday.

I won't be able to make a week day trip to Birmingham so let me know your dyno results.

The guys that rode in the HHR SS at our meet can vouch for the BNR turbo. You will be happy for sure.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM
TTR Powered

yea its gonna suck going after work but gotta do it lol yea i'm sure i'll be just like when vince tuned my car the first time. damn it was fast then lol
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Just let us know when your ready to tear down the turbo so Joel can make room in the basement

Quick Reply: Alabama