South Mountain UT, AZ, NM, and CO

AZ people. Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AZ people. Need advice

Hey whats going on? Im from mass and Im thinking about moving down to AZ. Next year in January but I am unsure as of what i should do. I am just looking for some advice and ideas on living in Tucson.

How is your insurance for the cars?
How is the living expeneses? ( i have heard its cheaper then it is up here in mass)
What would you recomend for a first time mover? (im planning on an apartment w/ a friend of mine).
Also I have heard of a lot of jobs in the criminal justice are down there as well. Such as Boarder patrol, Correction officers. and law enforcement aka cops. Your thoughts?
I also will have my associated degree and i heard AZ tuition is free after a year of residencne. This true?

thanks for your time and any other things are greatly appreciated. thanks guys
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 AM

AZ tuition is not free, trust me. Tucson would probably be good. I would think the insurance would be higher because of how close it is to the border. I know Phoenix has one of the highest vehicle theft rates in the US.

A year from now probably wouldn't be bad to invest in a house. We are just ending an astranomical hike in house prices.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 AM

hmm well I wouldn't be remotely the best person to talk about tucson cus I absolutely hate the place. Your transition is gonna be day to night it is literally a different world there and they have lots of petty crime there so if you move take real close care of your stuff and your car IM SERIOUS.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:45 AM

Living expenses are definitely much less in Tucson than in Mass, and I'm almost positive that insurance will be much higher. As George said, you're really close to the border.

Tuition is defintely not free after a year, but it's *much* cheaper. Before that year, you pay non-resident rates, which can be really steep depending on where you go. For instance, Mesa Community College is $65 per credit hour for residents. Out-of-state pays $90 for 1-6 credit hours, $280 for 7+. It's nasty...

I'm not a fan of Tucson itself, but UofA is a very nice school, and the suburbs aren't bad at all.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:48 AM

i personally have found insurance to be cheaper, we have a great group down here, and have a fun, there is alwas something going on.....
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Living expenses are definitely much less in Tucson than in Mass, and I'm almost positive that insurance will be much higher. As George said, you're really close to the border.

Tuition is defintely not free after a year, but it's *much* cheaper. Before that year, you pay non-resident rates, which can be really steep depending on where you go. For instance, Mesa Community College is $65 per credit hour for residents. Out-of-state pays $90 for 1-6 credit hours, $280 for 7+. It's nasty...

I'm not a fan of Tucson itself, but UofA is a very nice school, and the suburbs aren't bad at all.
Tucson is boring. You'll be up in Phoenix every weekend. Trust me on that.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14 AM

there is no place other than the Phoenix metro area worth living at in AZ. if you aren't moving to Phoenix or one of its suburbs its going to suck complete ass. unless you are a fan of small cities, I personally am not so thats all on you.

as they have said tuition definitely is not free, I currently pay $7500 a semester but I go to a private school. if i ended up at ASU it would've been about $11K a year.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
there is no place other than the Phoenix metro area worth living at in AZ. if you aren't moving to Phoenix or one of its suburbs its going to suck complete ass. unless you are a fan of small cities, I personally am not so thats all on you.

as they have said tuition definitely is not free, I currently pay $7500 a semester but I go to a private school. if i ended up at ASU it would've been about $11K a year.
HOLY **** THATS A BOAT LOAD
Old 09-05-2006, 11:27 PM

will you be moving your stuff yourself or having a moving company do it? if you do it yourself... im a mover so i could help on this end of the move if u need it.
IMO.... Tuscon is cooler (temp wise) and better scenery.
Phoenix is better though (IMO again) cuz the opportunities (jobs, schools, etc.) are more plentiful... theres enough people that you can never run out of potential friends/ladies.... and theres alot more to do in Phx. Plus... im a city boy at heart... anything smaller than Phoenix and my ass would be back up in Detroit.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by OniMirage
HOLY **** THATS A BOAT LOAD
yes sir it is, I will have bought myself a new Evo in school loans by the time I'm done. luckily I'm only at this school for 2 years and already went through a year..

I figure...11K vs 15K...I'm gonna be in debt either way so its a lose lose situation. I just better be able to get a good damn job when I come out...
Old 09-06-2006, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
yes sir it is, I will have bought myself a new Evo in school loans by the time I'm done. luckily I'm only at this school for 2 years and already went through a year..

I figure...11K vs 15K...I'm gonna be in debt either way so its a lose lose situation. I just better be able to get a good damn job when I come out...
I hope so for your sake. I work with A LOT of people that have 4 year degrees getting paid the same or less than me. Just a reality of the times.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:21 PM

ASU is cheap for me. Well not really, but hell of a lot cheaper than 11k. 2400 a semester plus books.

But i think tuscon sucks as well.

Insurance wise. I dunno. I pay 119 a month on an 04, and im 19. Full coverage.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:22 PM

Insurance in Phoenix changes drastically based on alot of things... i.e. the neighborhood you live in... when i used my grandmas address it raised my insurance like almost 80 bucks just cuz she lives in one of the worst areas of Phx... i "moved" very soon after that, lol.