South Mountain UT, AZ, NM, and CO

PowderCoating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PowderCoating

How can I go about powder coating my rims black. Like what types of sprays or paints do i need and in what order? Pretty general just never have done this and don't know how to.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:27 PM

you cant just powder coat. its a process. look for a local business that does it. involves an "oven" etc etc.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 PM

obvioulsy you dont understand powdercoating at all. Or paint for that matter. Or adhesion. No biggie just google "what is powdercoating" and then maybe try again
Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 AM

look for a alloy wheel repair in your city we specialize in powdercoating it can get pricey about 400 for a set but its done right
Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 AM

Ok whoa, like i know buffing and paint, but when it comes to powder coating, no. Sorry, but like yeah, i think like scrap up so the primer sticks then 2 coats of black paint, some good ****, and then 2 coats or clear.... good? more, less? like whats up comn, im tryin to find out whats up. Its not complicated so don't criticize me like that. Not every one knows how to do everything, so i come for help. But if you don't want to, then cool, but btw its for a friend who has a mazada speed 3 2009. Thanks though.... Ha, i know how helpful everyone is on here....
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 AM

i mean u can say i was being a dick. but seriously if u listened to what I said u would have realized you still have no idea what powdercoating is and if u took 10 seconds to do a google search ur question would have been answered. Here. Let ME do the work for you. Oh wont you look at that? 1st ****** google link.

"Powder coating is a type of coating that is applied as a free-flowing, dry powder. The main difference between a conventional liquid paint and a powder coating is that the powder coating does not require a solvent to keep the binder and filler parts in a liquid suspension form. The coating is typically applied electrostatically and is then cured under heat to allow it to flow and form a "skin". The powder may be a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer. It is usually used to create a hard finish that is tougher than conventional paint. Powder coating is mainly used for coating of metals, such as "whiteware", aluminium extrusions, and automobile and bicycle parts. Newer technologies allow other materials, such as MDF (medium-density fibreboard), to be powder coated using different methods."

Powder coating cannot be done at ur house in a garage. You have to take it somewhere they have the equipment to do it and oven to fit the parts. Its physically a powder that gets statically charged to the rims and baked in an oven at a high temperature. Paint is completely different. Paint you need to sand the rims for adhesion. If theres paint already on the rims like most rims come stock u dont need to prime them. Scuff them up with a red scotch bright, or sand them with 600 grit, lay down your color and clear. If theres curb rash down to the bare metal or the paint is fucked up on them. sand them down to bare metal, lay down Self Etching Primer, then id recommend a primer surfacer on top of that. Let it completely dry, then sand with 600 grit then apply your color and clear. Regular primer surfacer is designed to hide sand scratches and build up the surface to hide imperfections. you then sand it smooth. If theres nothign wrong with the rim, just scuff and shoot. If theres problems like curb rash or chunks of paint missing, u need to sand it all down, etch prime it so it sticks to metal, primer surface to but some sort of build of primer on it so u can sand it all smooth and level around the **** up spot, then put color on.