South Pacific CA, NV, and HI

header questions...smog legal???... help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation header questions...smog legal???... help!

so i am debating if i want to buy the Cobalt addiction V2 headers and xtc downpipe combo. they both have O2 sensor ports built in and what not, but im wondering if they would pass smog. this is my daily driver and need it to pass smog in CALIFORNIA. if anyone knows or has had experiences with passing smog with aftermarket headers/downpipe, please help me and let me know whats up.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
who cares dude...you dont have to get your car smogged until 2012 anyway.
to answer your question tho, replacing a cat-converter is illegal unless a smog shop stated that your old one was defective/broken, so no, it will not pass
Old 12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Moved to CA, read my sig
Old 12-22-2008, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
who cares dude...you dont have to get your car smogged until 2012 anyway.
to answer your question tho, replacing a cat-converter is illegal unless a smog shop stated that your old one was defective/broken, so no, it will not pass
i didnt know that replacing one was "illegal". i replaced one on my 92 camaro (stock) with a high flow cat. passed smog and never had problems. where did you come about this info? (not 2 be a dick or anything)
Old 12-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by kevinj4891
i didnt know that replacing one was "illegal". i replaced one on my 92 camaro (stock) with a high flow cat. passed smog and never had problems. where did you come about this info? (not 2 be a dick or anything)
sorry hunter but ur wrong. replacing cat is not illegal
Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by {TEAM ADRENALINE}
By law, it is illegal, will a smog shop know? probably not.

It depends on the shop, someone might see the header and fail you because it is not carb legal. Or they will inspect the car closer because they see the header.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by GXPFire
By law, it is illegal, will a smog shop know? probably not.

It depends on the shop, someone might see the header and fail you because it is not carb legal. Or they will inspect the car closer because they see the header.
sounds like i may need to go to the one my friend goes to...doesnt need the car there to pass smog. just give him money and everything disappears
Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 AM

Thumbs down

so i am debating if i want to buy the Cobalt addiction V2 headers and xtc downpipe combo. they both have O2 sensor ports built in and what not, but im wondering if they would pass smog. this is my daily driver and need it to pass smog in CALIFORNIA. if anyone knows or has had experiences with passing smog with aftermarket headers/downpipe, please help me and let me know whats up.
Here's the deal with California man. I live here...lived here all of my life and I am going through the same hassle with my SS Trailblazer. When you want to get a smog legal header and smog the car in california LEGALLY, the part has to be approved by the state run "California Air Resource Board". The company has to send their part to the state and PAY to have it tested, and approved....the paying part and hassle is why a LOT of good companies don't have more California smog legal parts. If the part is approved it will be awarded whats called a C.A.R.B. EO number (California Air Resource Board Executive Order Number). When that number is issued you can smog the car LEGALLY here in california with that part on it.

I am going to say this because I know there will be a BUNCH of people telling you to "shady smog" your car because of when it has to ACTUALLY pass the sniffer. California doesn't give a **** about how WELL you pass the sniffer....you WILL fail the VISUAL inspection at a smog station if you have an aftermarket header on your car that is not state approved. Yes...There will ALWAYS be the nay sayers who say "**** IT".....get on some of the Honda forums....and find where here in Southern California where they actually have "Smog Traps".....it's just like a DUI checkpoint.....these guys have sniffer equipment....but the thing that gets the MOST money for these portable smog stations is the VISUAL.....you get caught up in one of these things you will go down.....no matter WHEN you have to actually smog your car for the first time....
A brand new car can fail a visual inspection because of the fact that you have (in the state's eyes) tampered with intake or exhaust track of the vehicle without using state approved parts....PERIOD
If you shady smog your car.....you will pay more....and that will not protect you if you get pulled over for "playing around" on the street and some cop has you pop your hood....
I'm not trying to **** on your parade man.....I'm in the mlitary and I see that crap every day with the guys who don't register thier cars back home, and keep them with Cali plates.....then they get pulled over.....or they try and smog the car....

I am going through all of this with my trailblazer man. I have the cash for headers and pipe all the way back....I want the Stainless Works headers....but no dice on the Cali smog thing.....I am going to have to either wait for JBA to make some smog legal shorties for the TBSS, or just use some stock exhaust manifolds off of a Z06 Vette, and pay for my dad's friend to build me a "stock apearing" 3inch cross over pipe, and the rest of the exhaust......

I hope I didn't **** anyone off.....but hey....sometimes the truth sucks ass.....

Here is the link for California smog legal parts and their Executive Order Numbers:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Last edited by JeRM82; 01-22-2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Forgot the link...
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it is illegal to remove or replace any and all emissions control devices on a car unless a certified smog shop determines the original to be defective or not in working order. Will you still pass a sniffer test? Probably, bu you still broke the law...

As for the novel posted above me (lol), I don't believe headers have to be CARB certified, as headers are not an emissions control device. Intake i would imagine does since it contains the PCV breather line attachment, and I would imagine anything after the cat is fair game as well...
I might be wrong, but im not certain
Old 01-22-2009, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
it is illegal to remove or replace any and all emissions control devices on a car unless a certified smog shop determines the original to be defective or not in working order. Will you still pass a sniffer test? Probably, bu you still broke the law...

As for the novel posted above me (lol), I don't believe headers have to be CARB certified, as headers are not an emissions control device. Intake i would imagine does since it contains the PCV breather line attachment, and I would imagine anything after the cat is fair game as well...
I might be wrong, but im not certain
he is right hunter. Any part of the intake or exhaust system is considered part of smog and must be carb and the cat issue lets just drop it, it's a slipppery slop we were just talking about it in my traffic enforcment class today.lol
Old 01-22-2009, 11:49 AM

from my experiences with my old 92 camaro, the place i took it to get smogged never did a "visual", or at least, none that i noticed. but thats beside the point.

a friend of mine tried to do the shady things with his friend (my friend used to race for toyota and new people). the guy doing the smog got caught, now my friend has to have a certain "state" person present and sign off whenever he gets smogged. he still has mods and is now friends with the state checker guy, so he's still not affected, but that doesnt mean it will work for the rest of us.

i guess when it comes down to it, we'll see what happens. if i dont pass smog in a few years with my header/downpipe high-flow cat, i can tell them i didnt know and just swap on the stockers
Old 01-22-2009, 11:15 PM

i guess when it comes down to it, we'll see what happens. if i dont pass smog in a few years with my header/downpipe high-flow cat, i can tell them i didnt know and just swap on the stockers
The thing with the "stickers" that you are talking about. Is that a C.A.R.B EO sticker for a different header than your own? I haven't seen a header for an LSJ powered car that carried a C.A.R.B. EO #. That would be the way to go if you still had the cat in the same place, and a stock APEARING exhaust....BUT you have to have a header that is already has that E.O.# to start with.....you cant just use the EO tag off of an L61 car on an LSJ car...you might get away with it once....but hey...theres ALWAYS that guy out to prove himself at your work....the police station has those guys too....

I haven't seen a header for an LSJ powered car that carried a C.A.R.B. EO #.....I wish that someone would come out with one for you guys...maybe with some big primaries to keep the KR down with the small pulleys and the harrop blower....

well...I just relized that you said the stockers...not stickers...HA HA....nevermind the first part of that last post....I didn't see where I could delete it.....

Last edited by JeRM82; 01-22-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-24-2009, 01:17 AM

I just found this PDF on the C.A.R.B website.....It says that the pacesetter header is covered under this Carb EO#, and is smog legal for california LSJ powered cars model year 2005-2006.....I thought it was kinda strange that no one made a smog legal header for you guys......here is the link to the PDF file:
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-439-7.pdf

ummmm...HOPEFULLY THAT HELPED AND IT'S NOT TOO LATE MAN......
Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by JeRM82
I just found this PDF on the C.A.R.B website.....It says that the pacesetter header is covered under this Carb EO#, and is smog legal for california LSJ powered cars model year 2005-2006.....I thought it was kinda strange that no one made a smog legal header for you guys......here is the link to the PDF file:
http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-439-7.pdf

ummmm...HOPEFULLY THAT HELPED AND IT'S NOT TOO LATE MAN......
thanyou man. damn i kept thinking i know there is a header that is carb legal because its the one i was looking at but i couldnt freakin remember.lol. I get popped a lo0t so all my **** iks d.o.t. and c.a.r.b approved.lol. plus i am training to be a cop.lol
Old 01-24-2009, 07:12 PM

thanyou man. damn i kept thinking i know there is a header that is carb legal because its the one i was looking at but i couldnt freakin remember.lol. I get popped a lo0t so all my **** iks d.o.t. and c.a.r.b approved.lol. plus i am training to be a cop.lol

No worries man....I thought I was talkin to myself for a minute there...HA HA...
Where are you training to be a cop at....Golden West in Huntington?
Old 01-24-2009, 07:41 PM

No worries man....I thought I was talkin to myself for a minute there...HA HA...
Where are you training to be a cop at....Golden West in Huntington?
actually i am getting ready to finish up my criminal justice degree and got accepted to the san bernardino sherriffs academy.lol
Old 01-24-2009, 07:43 PM

mmmm yes it is. Replacing or tampering with a stock cat that isn't broken is illegal.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
mmmm yes it is. Replacing or tampering with a stock cat that isn't broken is illegal.
Yes that is semi true...replacing a stock cat that isn't broken, or not working properly BEFORE 80,000 miles on an OBD2 car....and I remember something about 50K for vehicles that are OBD1 is illegal...I think that's a federal law........the way around getting the stock cat replaced with something like a random technologies cat is to have that the cat was DAMAGED in writing....someone told me that they just had the exhaust shop guy write on the reciept that the cat was damaged because he ran something over and it bounced up under the car......I dunno if that would fly with a COP....but there is SOMETHING in the rules where if you have some **** in writing that it's OK to replace it.....just not sure by who.....pretty sure it can be the guy doing the work....

actually i am getting ready to finish up my criminal justice degree and got accepted to the san bernardino sherriffs academy.lol
NO ****...congrats man! My wife has a criminal justice degree from Long Beach State...and I hang out with an entire family that works for the Orange County sherrif's office......NOTHING but funny ass stories about stupid people when we all start drinking...they have a kick ass retirement too...I wouldn't believe them on some of the stories...but I'm in the navy, and I work with some ****** ******* people...HA HA

Yes that is semi true...replacing a stock cat that isn't broken, or not working properly BEFORE 80,000 miles on an OBD2 car....and I remember something about 50K for vehicles that are OBD1 is illegal...I think that's a federal law........the way around getting the stock cat replaced with something like a random technologies cat is to have that the cat was DAMAGED in writing....someone told me that they just had the exhaust shop guy write on the reciept that the cat was damaged because he ran something over and it bounced up under the car......I dunno if that would fly with a COP....but there is SOMETHING in the rules where if you have some **** in writing that it's OK to replace it.....just not sure by who.....pretty sure it can be the guy doing the work....

I fucked up there.....the random technologies stuff isn't california legal for OBD2 stuff....just OBD1....I remembered some crap about their legality and dug through their website....no dice on the OBD2 stuff....that sucks.......

Last edited by JeRM82; 01-25-2009 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-25-2009, 12:47 AM

No OBDI cars were produced after 1996, just so you guys know. Everything after is OBDII.