Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few questions... *edit - more questions!*

Hey guys.

The car is a 2006 Cobalt SS n/a. I had a few questions about stuff I've been noticing:

1. Why the hell do the brakes suck so bad? I have the SS 4 wheel discs. Don't get me wrong...they surely do stop. But they pulsate...ALOT. And I know it's not just mine. I've heard alot of guys complaining about this. If I spend more cash and get slotted rotors or somthing...will those aid in less pulsation and mad brake dust everywhere? I mean...I got this car like 3 months ago and there's been serious pulsation after a week. It's kinda rediculous.

2. Does the FE3 suspension squeak or knock alot? When I get in the car, sometimes it kinda makes a knocking sound. Grantid, it has been cold out, but my Monte doesn't do that. Plus, sometimes when I'm driving on a normal road it'll do that too. A pretty clearly audible knocking noise from the rear of the car. Pretty annoying.

3. Not really suspension or anything related, but who cares. I seem to have something in my spoiler. IN my spoiler. At first I thought some water got in it and it formed into ice...but it's been 50 the past few days and it would've surely been melted by now. It kinda rattles around in the trunk. Sometimes more than others. I've surely noticed an increase now since I've had my rear seats folded down... So now my trunk is open fully into the cabin.

If these are common...fine. But if not, I think something's fishy. Please respond ASAP! Very appreciated!!

*edit - more questions...*

Hey guys. I remembered a few more things today. Here they are:

1. I have the 4 wheel discs. I use my E-brake every time I put the car in park. I just got accustomed to doing it. When I remove the E-brake and put it into reverse (I don't think it does it going forwards) then move backwards and stop (even very slowly) the rear brakes make thins horrid rubbing noise. not really a brake grinding sort of noise. But just a really loud eeerrrrrrrrr. It does it once or twice, then it stops. It's been 40 and rainly lately. And it only does it after the cars been parked for over an hour. I hate GM brakes.

2. My car is always making this clicking noise. It's exactly like the noise you'd hear after you turn off a car and the exhaust clicks as it cools down. except...the car's not off. It does it constantly. And it's audible outside the car. I don't notice it inside, just outside. It's not really a big deal...I just want to know what's up...

And as always...thank you very much!!
Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
check the torque on the wheels

also from my expireince slotted rotors do awesome but i would advise better semimetallic pads.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JapEatr
check the torque on the wheels
I think that's the single biggest overlooked possibility for handling/suspension problems.

If you haven't checked them from the factory, do it now. And recheck them every so often. The first time I checked mine after I got the car, they were quite a bit too loose. I had to go anywhere from 1/8-1/4 turn with the torque wrench before they were torqued to spec...
Old 12-29-2005, 10:07 AM

yeah i hate my brakes they pulsate bad and i only have 1000 miles on the car, im thinking of getting the slotted rotors and the green ebc pads since hawk only makes pads for the 2.2 cobalts and at the same time ill probably do stainless lines it should cost about 500 or so
Old 12-29-2005, 11:10 AM

So investing more money in better brakes will show a huge improvement in stoping power...but longer life as well?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:24 PM

i don't have much of a problem with pulsation but i do have grooves in my rotors already and i have never once slammed on my breaks so i will be getting that checked out when she goes in for her first oil change
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM

I think GM will replace the rotors under warranty. Something about the pads being to hard for the rotors.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 PM

Hmm... Could be. Anyone else have any info regarding the warranty of this?? I don't want to go to the dealership and sound retarded. lol.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:58 PM

the rattling is from three clips in your trunk. If you get in side your truck or just open it you can see them if you look directly behind the top part of the trunk opening. There are some oval slotts on the frame piece and there are three silver clips that shake and rattle. I just put some squares or thin rubber and it stopped the noise fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:00 PM

Wink

Call and ask them over the phone