Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

G6 GXP Front Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G6 GXP Front Calipers

Does anyone know if the G6 GXP 2 piston front calipers will fit SS/SC? I know the G6 base model uses the same calipers.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont' think that's been done. you'd be a first! Let us know pioneer!
Old 11-23-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are you going to put on the rears to balance them out though?
Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 PM

SS/TC rear brakes
Old 11-26-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 06_black_cobalt_SS
SS/TC rear brakes
That's turning into a BAD idea really quickly. Brake bias isn't something to take lightly or just piece together. You'd do better to do a full Brembro conversion rather than take piece a from one car and piece b for another car.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
That's turning into a BAD idea really quickly. Brake bias isn't something to take lightly or just piece together. You'd do better to do a full Brembro conversion rather than take piece a from one car and piece b for another car.
tis true you are a smart guy and the brembo deal for the t/c has a different master cylinder; the bias is in the ABS system. But as an FYI i will be experimenting with a front TC brake conversion shortly I let you know how it works out if you pm me with an email. Maven where are my rotors ?lol
Old 11-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by qwikredline
tis true you are a smart guy and the brembo deal for the t/c has a different master cylinder; the bias is in the ABS system. But as an FYI i will be experimenting with a front TC brake conversion shortly I let you know how it works out if you pm me with an email. Maven where are my rotors ?lol
Alleycat is a Woman.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
Alleycat is a Woman.
I stand corrected SIR! Yes SIR! alleycat is a smart WOman SIR!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
USMCfieldMP is two stripes up, means he's a Corporal and works for a living,if hes anything like many Marines I know my guess is he doesnt like to be called "sir"

What comes with two piston calipers??? The G6 GXP? I dont think it does(not 100% sure though) according to the service manual it doesnt, its got the same 296mm rotors as the SC/2.4 do,(ive got a set of rotors sitting under my toolbox, just waiting) but it uses larger 60mm calipers as opposed to the 54mm thats in the Balt. Ill check on the lot tomorrow to verify, but this would be news to me.

Thered be no point in switching to larger bore calipers unless you wanted a longer pedal and more front brake bias(which would inevitably just lead to more ABS events eventually)And you cant use the new master clyinders on the older cars(youcan use ealry Z body m/c's on pre 09 Balts with brake pipe rerouting, and you cant put an SS/TC mastercylinder on a 2005-2008 Balt without switching to the TC power booseter.)

Switching over to the Brembos is a much better idea, as they have nearly identiacl piston areas to the SS 54mm calipers, so pedal feel will be similar and bias wil only be affected by the larger rotor size.

Last edited by Maven; 11-28-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:26 PM

I got the idea cause i was reading an old road and track article on the 2007 G6 GTP, and it said they had 2 piston front calipers.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:36 PM

I got the idea cause i was reading an old road and track article on the 2007 G6 GTP, and it said they had 2 piston front calipers.
If it was true it wouldnt be a bad idea, but all G6's use the same calipers. Like I said, if you for some reason wanted to run the 60mm calipers, you could. But in my mind since theres no way compensate for the longer pedal you'd get without resorting to using a G6 master cylinder, custom brake pipes and an adjustable rear proportioning valve its just not really a worthwhile upgrade, especially since the caliper/bracket for the G6 is heavier than othe Balt. SS/TC Brembos, GAC style floating rotors and relocating bracket, or a custom aftermarket setup are really the only worthwhile upgrades as far as "bigger" brakes goes.

Grand Prix GTP/GXPs have 2 piston calipers...........

But thats a whole 'nother can 'o worms.(custom brackets and drilled rotors, or Grand Am hubs and custom brackets, or new hubs and knuckles, and of course master cylinder and bias issues again)

Last edited by Maven; 11-28-2008 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-28-2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks for the input from the sounds of not really worth it, just wait and see if the ss/tc calipers fit with stock wheels.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maven
USMCfieldMP is two stripes up, means he's a Corporal and works for a living,if hes anything like many Marines I know my guess is he doesnt like to be called "sir"
He is from Canada I wouldnt expect him to understand
Old 11-28-2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Black SS/SC 06
I would never hold it against him though.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was talking about this guy lol
Old 11-28-2008, 06:27 PM

I was talking about this guy lol
I knew who you were talking about.....I dont care that Qwik is Canadiadian. He's a good guy in my book.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Maven since you brought up Grand Am hubs up above, how 'hard' is it to switch over to their hub/knuckle assembly like the Time Attack cars use?

I'm sick of having shitty rim selection.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM

As far as the front goes I am nearly positive that the hubs are actually a bolt on affair. The "work" comes from the fact that you need to redrill your rotors(or use W body rotors) and you most likely need to run a spacer to get your stock calipers to work with the GA hubs. I dont know the dimensions of the spacer offhand. Of course this would be the perfect reason to upgrade to an aftermarket caliper and 2piece rotor setup. Its the back that becomes an "issue". You need to modify the rear axle beam to accept the GA hubs

I am not sure if ive said this before or not, but in all honesty its probably best to swap over to the 4 lug hubs if you really want a wider wheel selection. If youre really concerned about only having 4 lugs throw some ARP studs in the hubs.

A full GA hub swap isnt really a daily driver type swap in my mind. just my $.02
Old 11-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
Maven since you brought up Grand Am hubs up above, how 'hard' is it to switch over to their hub/knuckle assembly like the Time Attack cars use?

I'm sick of having shitty rim selection.
1. agreed 5 x 110 still sucks
2. Fronts are easy take the grand am wheel bearing 5 x 4.5"mustang bolt circle with little effort
3. BUT as of late 06 with the conti-teves abs the wheel speed signal frequency may have changed and the grand am wheel bearing signal may not work for the abs.
4. the rear twisting beam is not easy to change, it needs a new wheel bearing plate, major welding job. I have the weld in plates water cut in stock. Gotta welder? you need a jig etc.
5. BUT also needs an T6061 alloy intermediate part for the caliper and that's not cheap
6. Today I floated the idea in our raceshop of making wheel hub adapters.
7.I hate adaptors. You need about an inch of material and that moves the bearing load outboard and the wheel bearing at the rear is not that robust. the grand am is more robust already.
8 the TC has real good wheel bearings at the front ; There is a way to use front wheel bearings at the rear.
10 who has the money for this?
11. Revised rear twb with spherical jointed pivots, time attack style sway bar and revised rear wheel bearings with 4.5 inch pcd is 1800 canadian exchange.
12, plus new wheels
13. plus front bearings i dont know what do do for the abs haven't had a call to want to figure it out (until today earlier on the phone)
14. Back to making adaptors.
15 cheap but is it worth the risk?
16 maybe convince Rays wheels to do 18x 9.5 wheels in 5 x 110?
17I am done for now!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Well, there ya go. Pretty much what i said, but straight from the sources mouth.

You could always have your favorite machine drill out your hubs for the 5x114.3 pattern, then youre in the money for very little dough

Figure like 2hours of machine shop time and $175 for ARP wheel studs.(less if you bitch out and go stock type replacements )
Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 PM

yeah but a great driver from Jacksonville Florida SSCA nat champ , who loved the gators name of Jackson Yonge drove one of my race cars back in the day and was real fast. So does that let me count myself as an ok canuck quasi Floridian transplant?

Well, there ya go. Pretty much what i said, but straight from the sources mouth.

You could always have your favorite machine drill out your hubs for the 5x114.3 pattern, then youre in the money for very little dough

Figure like 2hours of machine shop time and $175 for ARP wheel studs.(less if you bitch out and go stock type replacements )
hey i looked at that the legends line of wheel bearings come with 10 stud holes for grand am, do you think its worth trying? If so i will take a stab at it gotta whole lot of stock bearings around here.. just 2 hours machine time? for 20 holes 4 set ups? hmmmm not sure....maybe italianjoe1 can but not at all sure here

As far as the front goes I am nearly positive that the hubs are actually a bolt on affair. The "work" comes from the fact that you need to redrill your rotors(or use W body rotors) and you most likely need to run a spacer to get your stock calipers to work with the GA hubs. I dont know the dimensions of the spacer offhand. Of course this would be the perfect reason to upgrade to an aftermarket caliper and 2piece rotor setup. Its the back that becomes an "issue". You need to modify the rear axle beam to accept the GA hubs

I am not sure if ive said this before or not, but in all honesty its probably best to swap over to the 4 lug hubs if you really want a wider wheel selection. If youre really concerned about only having 4 lugs throw some ARP studs in the hubs.

A full GA hub swap isnt really a daily driver type swap in my mind. just my $.02
stock rotors re drilled for 5 x 4.5 and bored out to the larger hub centric grand am bearing size work no further issue. i still like your idea of redrilling and re-studding wheel bearings sound like the most economical solution and the possibility of going back to 5 x 110 for winter etc

Last edited by qwikredline; 11-28-2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Wait a minute. We can re drill our hubs and rotors? Sounds like a much better alternative than swapping over to Grand Am hubs.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by SSdan
Wait a minute. We can re drill our hubs and rotors? Sounds like a much better alternative than swapping over to Grand Am hubs.
Um yup. It is. I used to do this to my Caprice/Silvrados so I could run Monte Carlo SS wheels

I am really suprised that noone has done it yet honestly, with as many people as there are that bitch about the 5x110 youd think at least one of y'all woulda done this. I know I am smart, but somebody else shoulda been able to figure this out besides me.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 PM

Um yup. It is. I used to do this to my Caprice/Silvrados so I could run Monte Carlo SS wheels

I am really suprised that noone has done it yet honestly, with as many people as there are that bitch about the 5x110 youd think at least one of y'all woulda done this. I know I am smart, but somebody else shoulda been able to figure this out besides me.
there is a lot of meat in a caprice wheel bearing...stay tuned hang on i will go get one out of my home garage and look at it okay done Maven i will email you the results with a 10 hole rotor on it
Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

Sweet. I didn't know we could do that. Now onto looking into the costs of getting this done.

Quick Reply: G6 GXP Front Calipers