Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Help, encountered a problem right now while installing sportlines

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, encountered a problem right now while installing sportlines

I'm installing the eibach sportlines right now and I have the front wheel off and removed the lower 2 bolts holding the strut. I think I have a problem, I started removing that bolt towards the upper middle of the strut and it wont come off all the way (it keeps turning the whole bolt) it won't go back on either, how do I get it back on tight, and do I need to get it off all the way?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:19 PM

It is this right here that is giving me the problem, I borrowed the picture from another thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Banned

Might you have tried checking to see if you should be holding the head of the bolt with a wrench as well?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:34 PM

There is no head, I don't know how to keep the bolt from turning so i can tighten it.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:35 PM

you need an impact wrench to do it and you'll have to push in on it the whole time to get it off as the nut is spinning off.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You obviously didn't read my thread, you just looked at the pictures. That picture has a caption that explains exactly how to remove that bolt. No, you don't need an impact wrench.

First, you needed to remove that bolt first, before the other strut bolts. You may still be able to get if off however. That bolt is the stabilzer bar link. It is connected to the same place on the other side of the car. Because you have the car on a jack, the bar is under load, trying to compress the strut.

You need to place a jack under the bottom of the strut and jack it up (compress the strut) to take the load off. That's why you want it to still be attached to the knuckle, but you can probably get the strut to compress by itself. The bolt will literally just slide out once you do that.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 PM

did you get it to come off?
Old 08-03-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Halfcent
You obviously didn't read my thread, you just looked at the pictures. That picture has a caption that explains exactly how to remove that bolt. No, you don't need an impact wrench.

First, you needed to remove that bolt first, before the other strut bolts. You may still be able to get if off however. That bolt is the stabilzer bar link. It is connected to the same place on the other side of the car. Because you have the car on a jack, the bar is under load, trying to compress the strut.

You need to place a jack under the bottom of the strut and jack it up (compress the strut) to take the load off. That's why you want it to still be attached to the knuckle, but you can probably get the strut to compress by itself. The bolt will literally just slide out once you do that.
I think you're thinking off a different problem.

you're nut is stuck on some rust and just spinning the bole inside the joint. somone up there is right you could hit it with an impact if you had one that's what i had to do. but if you dont have that you may have to try some spray lube (wd-40, brake clean) somthing like that to get into the threads. then try and work it with your wrench some more.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by uthinkimodd
I think you're thinking off a different problem.

you're nut is stuck on some rust and just spinning the bole inside the joint. somone up there is right you could hit it with an impact if you had one that's what i had to do. but if you dont have that you may have to try some spray lube (wd-40, brake clean) somthing like that to get into the threads. then try and work it with your wrench some more.
You are exactly right, once I switched back to the impact wrench after applying some lubricant it came right off. Other then that one part the whole install actually went quite well, except for cutting up my hand (need mechanics gloves)

Heres how it turned out:

Old 08-04-2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Halfcent

I did read your thread, and yes I did have it jacked up to reduce the load. The write up was great, great pictures too. No need to be so harsh, just asking for a little help. It did in fact just take some penetrating oil and an impact wrench to free it, not all installs will go as smoothly as yours. Once again I do appreciate you posting your write up - best pictures and detail I have seen for a spring/strut removal + installation.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 AM

dude what's in your front bumper??

BTW looks real good!!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by M88ArRamadi
dude what's in your front bumper??

BTW looks real good!!
Thanks!

LOL, it was a piece of paper from a printout of Halfcents writeup! It was left on the ground after I did the install and I must have some how got sucked up in the front and it stayed there for like 10 miles during the whole journey home!