Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Possible Solution For Aftermarket Rear Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Solution For Aftermarket Rear Shocks

Well let me start off by saying that I did search around and found nothing on this subject. So far there arent any aftermarket shocks or struts for our cars. Yesterday I did my first mod which was the sortlines. Sweet ride and great handling. I get more wheel spin due to the fact the springs are stiffer and rear doesnt dip as much when I shift. However the car does need some shocks and struts.

Before this car I had an 2005 STI and my first mod was tein flex coilovers. Before that car I had an 2000 Infiniti G20t that had all the strutbars and sways along with these setups. H&R/KYB combo, Groundcontrol/KYB, JIC majic coilovers, and tein ss coilovers. Suspension has always been my gig. This brings me to my point:

The G20 that I had was the same body style from 99-02 The front suspension was the same all years from 91-02 the rear however was interchangeable from a nissan sentra 95-99. Heres my point.

I have been looking at different cars and trucks.... yes thats right trucks too, that share this same style shock as us.

The picture shows a shock used for steering on a jeep wrangler.

This picture shows the entire kit. Now take into consideration that this is a lift kit but what im trying to get at is how many cars share our same style for the rear. Look at the two shocks up top. Same style...

This is the rear of a Ford 150 current years..

This shock is off a mustang..

And so on and so on...
Most of you guys are going to read this and most likey say "this guy is f@cking nuts". What im trying to do is find out which car or truck has the same style, size(length, width, bolthole size, etc..) First im going to find out what makes, models, and years have what im looking for. And then im going to take a trip to the junk yard to measure and note my findings. After go online or to pepboys, autozone, discount, etc.. and see what aftermarket shocks are available for these vehicles. I am willing to be the tester for this I just need you guys help with the list and pictures. Yahoo and Google dont give enough pictures. This might work until someone comes out with something for our cars.

As far as the front goes the really isnt an option for us there. But the rear yes, and we can eliminate the dip when we shift hard, 1/4 miles go up.

Thanks for reading, Jeff P.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 PM

I have to commend you on your creativity and research skills however you did over look a couple things.

Although shocks look the same, the lengths internall and externally can vary. Having a shock that is overly compressed for a long period of time will wear very quickly, such is the problem with our stock dampers. Another problem you will have is the stiffness aka valving of the dampers. If these shocks are for a truck or heavier vehicle, they will be valved too stiff, even for the sportline springs. This will cause a very harsh suspension setup.

Now if you're going to be doing shocks for the rear, the front is going to be way too soft which will give you a massive amounts of oversteer, which sounds cool until you're on an onramp in the rain and end up sideways in a ditch.

I'd say keep your pants on and don't rush. KW obviously has the dampers researched and built to use with their coilover kit so i can't see the individual dampers being far behind.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM

Yea your right about the dampening issue but damn i was on to something, oh well. Back to the drawing boards...
Old 12-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Get low

well the airride kits for our cars have dampening rear shocks.... i have 2 right next to me, just turn the ***
Old 12-13-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by biohazard
well the airride kits for our cars have dampening rear shocks.... i have 2 right next to me, just turn the ***
Hey bio when you install your bag's I would be intersted in buying your tenzo's with your two front struts..
Old 12-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Well, well well... What have we here? Why, I'll be. Someone's discarded a perfectly good idea. Hmmmmm. Lessee, seems to be ok, no missing parts. C'mon, little fella, I'll work with ya.

I plan on replacing the rear springs with something a little lower and sportier, so the shock will also need to be a little shorter. About 1.5" shorter. To match, say, some Sportlines.
Since the mounted length on my stone stock LS is 14", I'm gonna go look for some shocks with a 12.5" mounted length.
Just for ***** n' giggles, I'll point my browser at Google and type in 2800 pound curb weight car" and SHAZAM! Our beloved little hounds weigh the same as a Porsche Boxter and Audi TT to name but two.. but it's clear as beer **** those shocks aren't gonna be a direct swap soooo... let's go ask somebody.
We'll start with this guy, http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/suspension_tips.cfm He seems to prefer dealing with educated customers so he puts stuff on his website that is educational. Read this too: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/faq.cfm

I don't know this company, I've never had any dealings with them but I'd bet they could get you hooked up with the proper shocks just by telling them the weight of your car, the length they need to be and how they're mounted. Looks like they've got all the good brands, too.
Damn near anything is gonna be an improvement on stock.

That's actually a damned good idea you came up with, Trag, err Jeff! Good thinking. Now start thinking about the front. =)

Bob
Old 12-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by hardtocope
Hey bio when you install your bag's I would be intersted in buying your tenzo's with your two front struts..
sry givin em to my buddy for free
Old 12-15-2006, 09:20 AM

I didn't shoot it down, just provided some counter thoughts. I think this could be done and it would be an easy solution for our rear suspension, after all I did install Suburban shocks on the rear of a volvo 240 wagon, but you have to remember the drawbacks and if you're ready to deal with them. With 115 whp pushing 3200lb, the volvo likes the hang the back out like a drift car, not fun when Grandma just wants to get groceries.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:18 AM

just a quick question.....but is it possible for cavalier struts & shocks work on the cobalts? i know they are alot of differences from a cavalier and a cobalt, but i'm just curious to know if anyone has looked into this.

p.s. please dont kill me if this is a stupid question.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by biohazard
sry givin em to my buddy for free

Damn bro. You are a very generous friend
Old 12-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Get low

Originally Posted by silver06cobalt
Damn bro. You are a very generous friend
im not here to make money lol i just test this sht out and when im done pass it on