Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Progress rear sway is in

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biniecki
I love this bar. It has to be my favorite mod that I have done so far just because it makes so much of a difference. I can't imagine how i drove the car without it.
That makes two of us.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:40 PM

good stuff guys

i should of made this thread the offcial progress sway bar thread

oh well lol
Old 05-24-2007, 06:32 PM

can you post a link to where you got it ??
Old 05-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah i just got my progress rear sway bar in yesterday. took 15 minutes to install without jacking the car up (car isnt lowered yet, but i do have the progress springs sitting in my room). pretty nice.

but one question, does anybody have this on with stock suspension? non ss. the reason i ask, when i take a corner, it feels like the front end is pushing if i go in a bit fast. but if i go in slower and speed up right at the corner then i feel the oversteer. my guess is probably too much pitch from stock suspension. so i cant wait till i get the springs in.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:50 PM

^^ good question. i am stock right now as well and want to do the progress sway first so i would really like to know
Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM

Ok well i think i will be ordering this tomorrow... i get paid tomorrow and my other parts came in so it will be like christmas for me.. I then need to find some ramps cause i have my car lowered 3 inches and i dont think i'll fit under it lol

-drew
Old 05-24-2007, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt Shadow
^^ good question. i am stock right now as well and want to do the progress sway first so i would really like to know
im almost certain the reason for whats happening to me. so i wouldnt go into a corner fast, but you can power through it more. i just really dont like the feeling of it without the car being lowered. ive hated the way its felt stock, although for stock was pretty stiff (which i liked) but is one car i REALLY cant stand on stock suspension. i really shouldnt have bought the springs at the time i did, but i was just that irritated and once again i shouldnt have bought the sway bar but i did. so now ill penny pinch and might do exhaust before i head to florida. so, so much for penny pinching
Old 05-25-2007, 04:08 AM

haha u guys kill me

and u should be fine with the stock setup with this bar

yes lowering it will help a lot but im on stock height to

and yes this car have a lot of understeer

if u hear ur front tires skretching then slow down ur going to fast into the corner
Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 AM

so from what I hear you cant have both a rear sway bar and front bar? Which is better of the two if you can only get one? I'm curious because I'm not all into the suspension of cars, I know about HP but that's a whole different area for me.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Maccoy316
so from what I hear you cant have both a rear sway bar and front bar? Which is better of the two if you can only get one? I'm curious because I'm not all into the suspension of cars, I know about HP but that's a whole different area for me.
ya u can have both
Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by John
haha u guys kill me

and u should be fine with the stock setup with this bar

yes lowering it will help a lot but im on stock height to

and yes this car have a lot of understeer

if u hear ur front tires skretching then slow down ur going to fast into the corner

i know its fine on the stock suspension, but i was expecting better. i still retain horrible understeer on stock suspension, unless i go into the corner slow and power through it. i was hoping to go into the corner a bit faster. and my front tires havent made a noise. i just noticed the car heading straight while i was turning, so i had to brake pretty hard which i hate to do in corners because it makes things worse.

cant wait till i find the time to put the springs in though. its killing me to just stare at them.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:34 PM

ya these car do have a lot of understeer but im sure the right amount of mods could fix that
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by yellow_cobalt
i know its fine on the stock suspension, but i was expecting better. i still retain horrible understeer on stock suspension, unless i go into the corner slow and power through it. i was hoping to go into the corner a bit faster. and my front tires havent made a noise. i just noticed the car heading straight while i was turning, so i had to brake pretty hard which i hate to do in corners because it makes things worse.

cant wait till i find the time to put the springs in though. its killing me to just stare at them.
You should always go, "In slow, Out fast"! Like you stated midcorner correction is NOT good. Too easy to upset the balance.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:22 AM

HA so mine came in a few days ago and i installed it. took about 20 min.. cause a bolt wouldnt go right in.. I did it with the sportlines on. the trick is to line up the Holes and use something to hold the bar up in the middle.. since i was lazy i didnt wanna go back inside .. i used a bottle of Tide i found in my car... Car feels alot tighter in the turns i have Sportlines, a DC strut Bar and now the Progress Rear SwaY bar.. it's a nice set up
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NJBLUESS
You should always go, "In slow, Out fast"! Like you stated midcorner correction is NOT good. Too easy to upset the balance.
Agreed, ALWAYS slow in and fast out for novice drivers (street drivers). Have you tried a nice set of Z-rated tires? Honestly it's a HUGE difference in corners, BUT you will lose some of the overall ride comfort. I've got a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback and I grabbed a cheep set of used rims and some new Z-rated rubber. The difference is MORE than just night and day, corners get an extra 20-40km/h from me now with this rubber, as where before it would start to squeal right away, now i don't even get squeal even when I push it almost to losing the rear end. Anybody who wants ANYTHING in terms of cornering from their car should start with a set of Z-rated tires night and day ppl, it's the difference between the French and the English lol j/k j/k

btw, has anybody installed a front and rear sway bar (kit) from suspension tech? I plan to do that as one of my first 5 mods but I'd like to hear some feedback on the front swaybar difference

Last edited by Midnightsky; 06-04-2007 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-27-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Midnightsky
Agreed, ALWAYS slow in and fast out for novice drivers (street drivers). Have you tried a nice set of Z-rated tires? Honestly it's a HUGE difference in corners, BUT you will lose some of the overall ride comfort. I've got a 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback and I grabbed a cheep set of used rims and some new Z-rated rubber. The difference is MORE than just night and day, corners get an extra 20-40km/h from me now with this rubber, as where before it would start to squeal right away, now i don't even get squeal even when I push it almost to losing the rear end. Anybody who wants ANYTHING in terms of cornering from their car should start with a set of Z-rated tires night and day ppl, it's the difference between the French and the English lol j/k j/k

btw, has anybody installed a front and rear sway bar (kit) from suspension tech? I plan to do that as one of my first 5 mods but I'd like to hear some feedback on the front swaybar difference
same im most likely going to get a front and back one but i dont hear alot of the front bar, i also dont know if im going to lower the car
Old 06-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Just an FYI...

Z-rating has nothing to do with traction

Z-rating means it can withstand 149+mph for extended periods of time.

However, it just so happens that most sticky tires have a Z-rating. Look at the Treadwear rating, its a MUCH better indication of traction on dry pavement. Low treadwear rating = sticky tire!!

You can have a super high treadwear rating and a Z-rating that allows you to go fast but is like driving on concrete tires.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
Just an FYI...

Z-rating has nothing to do with traction

Z-rating means it can withstand 149+mph for extended periods of time.

However, it just so happens that most sticky tires have a Z-rating. Look at the Treadwear rating, its a MUCH better indication of traction on dry pavement. Low treadwear rating = sticky tire!!

You can have a super high treadwear rating and a Z-rating that allows you to go fast but is like driving on concrete tires.
true it does have much to do with traction but does with handling
Old 06-28-2007, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by nonSS
true it does have much to do with traction but does with handling

what?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by denn454

what?
sry i meant it doesn't have much to do with traction but it does help you handle better
Old 06-29-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kwin
same im most likely going to get a front and back one but i dont hear alot of the front bar, i also dont know if im going to lower the car
Because i know the front sway bar on the SS is already a good size. Ive been looking for an aftermarket one and cant find one anywhere. SSC makes a nice setup for base ones though. 19 in the front 22 in the back.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:57 PM

okay to update the fact, progress springs are on and absolutely compliment the rear sway bar. i got scared taking one corner, when the back end just whipped around. i was still driving as if i had stock springs. front strut bar helps quite a bit too. but man the rear sway bar is amazing now.

now just need some wheels and tires to round it off.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by yellow_cobalt
okay to update the fact, progress springs are on and absolutely compliment the rear sway bar. i got scared taking one corner, when the back end just whipped around. i was still driving as if i had stock springs. front strut bar helps quite a bit too. but man the rear sway bar is amazing now.

now just need some wheels and tires to round it off.
Definately get some better tires, wheels I'm not sure I'd worry about as much tho. Unless your going for an actual light weight rim I'd just stick with the stock rims. Light weight rims can be a good addition to any setup with the rotational weight you save. I don't know off hand how much Cobalt stock rims weigh but I'm guessing four aftermarket light weight rims would compliment a cobalts performance.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 AM

well im defintely getting lightweight rims. i just cant stand having the stock steelies. i was going to keep the steelies and have them for winter (stick some snow tires on them). of course i want a web type of look wheel, which is never as light as i want unless i shell out for the bbs rgr i want. i will probably just buy some cheap ass rims that are light and fit what i want.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

I personally recommend Kuhmo Ecsta SPT's. During rain storms (even heavy ones) I will hardly feel any difference in traction. These tires hold their own VERY well and I couldn't be happier with them.

Quick Reply: Progress rear sway is in