Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

Rebuilding a Cobalt need some info an help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Rebuilding a Cobalt need some info an help

Hi I'm rebuilding a 2007 Cobalt SS supercharged version so I got it up onto the hoist last night an was checking it over ccv axle knuckle is broken not a big deal an oil pan has a under half an inch crack barely noticeable but still leaks oil engine turns over an starts so that's good but the part that is confusing me is the the passenger front wheel is pulled back 3/4 of an inch I haven't been able to find any dents or deforming with the strut or on the knuckle or on the control arm the steering linkages are fine there not bent but do need a realignment so if anybody can give me a heads up on what I need to look for that is causing the tire to be pulled back 3/4 of an inch would be really nice thanks for your help in advance I will get pictures of the car up on a hoist when I get back to the shop.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:54 PM

for one it needs the body kit properly attached but I'm not going to do that intill I finish rebuilding What color should I go with the body kit I was thinking of just going with midnight black on it with black halogen headlights

should get the bumper underneath paint as well so it blends better
Old 11-17-2016, 03:18 PM

Was this car wrecked? If so check for bent sub frame.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You seemed to have pics, but they're not of the problem in question. Would be good to see all the connections you mentioned.
Could be subframe though. Could be a few things, or slight bends in a couple places, that wouldn't appear as obvious.
What's the upper strut mount look like? Any bends in the bolt holes? Might tell you more of which way things were forced if so, and give you an idea where the points where the most force was applied.

Last edited by nutty21; 11-17-2016 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
WillisW (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 01:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Id pull those ugly bumpers off and get a set of OEM ones
Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by keiserX13
Id pull those ugly bumpers off and get a set of OEM ones
Gotta agree with this^
Is the control arm bent? They are made from aluminum and if it hit a curb or something it could bend that far without breaking. Is it on the same side as the broken axel? Is this a wrecked car?
Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by nutty21
You seemed to have pics, but they're not of the problem in question. Would be good to see all the connections you mentioned.
Could be subframe though. Could be a few things, or slight bends in a couple places, that wouldn't appear as obvious.
What's the upper strut mount look like? Any bends in the bolt holes? Might tell you more of which way things were forced if so, and give you an idea where the points where the most force was applied.
from the looks of it the strut might be bent or tweaked a little bit so I'm just going to replace the strut an engine cradle an both arms in the front an yes the car went through a ditch an tore the stock bumpers off an for the people making comments about the bumbers please take your business somewhere else because that's not the question being asked here
Old 11-18-2016, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Received 603 Likes on 561 Posts
I had those bumpers on my basemodel I like it but I hated the front bumper because it would hit everywhere and I wasn't even lowered
The following users liked this post:
WillisW (02-16-2017)
Old 11-18-2016, 07:55 PM

Received 316 Likes on 296 Posts
Okay lesson learned- you are touchy about the aftermarket bumpers.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Old 11-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 63 Nova SS
Old 02-16-2017, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Snail_SS
I had those bumpers on my basemodel I like it but I hated the front bumper because it would hit everywhere and I wasn't even lowered
Okay then well I just got some stock bumpers from an ls to use for now What did you have to do to get the front bumper to fit? got a new oil pan going in an new cv axles going in sub frame isn't bent its just the strut on the passenger side is bent so that's being replaced just want to make sure its the FE5 suspension in it before I go ordering for it an paying for it need to get aftermarket head lights for it which ones should I go for I like the look of the ones on your cobalt gives it a sharper look which brand are they? an also are they legal? I got performance rad on it now an its also running iridum sparkplugs now an yes it is a wrecked ss I'm fixing it up an getting it back on the road I had a mechanic look at the sub frame an the uni frame as well to make sure its still road worthy an he said it is

Last edited by WillisW; 02-16-2017 at 02:21 PM.