Suspension Springs, Shocks, Brakes

ST Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ST Lowering Springs

This is like an off brand of lowering springs that are half the price...i wonder how much of a difference they could make and how...let me know any opinions please.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33582
Old 04-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Sorry if it was me i wouldn't buy any car parts from ebay. I take that back i would buy car body parts and maaayybe rims but not any other stuff. Most of the time people are just selling you a piece of s**t. My opinion is do yourself a favor and buy good parts from a reputable dealer, car parts maker whatever. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JoeN
Sorry if it was me i wouldn't buy any car parts from ebay. I take that back i would buy car body parts and maaayybe rims but not any other stuff. Most of the time people are just selling you a piece of s**t. My opinion is do yourself a favor and buy good parts from a reputable dealer, car parts maker whatever. You'll be glad you did in the long run.
totally agree, you never know when someone is fooling you, they could show pictures but when you actually see the product after you've spent your money then you might not get what you thought you were getting.
Old 04-08-2005, 07:13 AM

Its not like its a fly by night thing. I have seen ST springs on ebay for years. If they were that bad I am sure they would be out of business. For everything there's an expensive choice and a budget choice. You just have to decide what one is worth the money to you. I am going to try the ST springs myself I think.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:16 AM

NEVER!!!!!! by cheap springs. Spend the money for this, because typically cheap spring do not match the spring rate of all the struts made for the car. For only around $200 you can have Eibachs, get them or something equal. Also I have seen some cheap springs fail and compress down.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by rm25x
Its not like its a fly by night thing. I have seen ST springs on ebay for years. If they were that bad I am sure they would be out of business. For everything there's an expensive choice and a budget choice. You just have to decide what one is worth the money to you. I am going to try the ST springs myself I think.
Ok so maybe you're right. I merely looked at the porduct and saw that they were lowering springs and said don't bother. Today I also looked at the buyer and saw he had a pretty good rating almost 100%. So maybe the buyer isn't scamming people. So if you want to buy the springs fine, BUT if you do complete the setup. You can't just buy the springs and just slap them on your car. OEM shocks/struts were only meant for OEM nothing else. Sure you can get away with it but the ride is going to suck and won't last very long. Do the right thing shell out more cash for some lowering struts. If you can't afford it right now, please just wait and save up some money...just have patience. You'll be glad you did. "Once the struts fail, so has the stability of your car." - Event from JBO

Also for ebay buyers (both new and regular) make sure you right the fine print. I know you've heard this and are getting sick of it but you don't want to screw yourself cause you didn't read the fine print.

Last edited by JoeN; 04-08-2005 at 09:27 AM. Reason: stupid spelling mistakes piss me off
Old 04-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The suspension is the most important and often most overlooked performance item on a vehicle.

All things being equal I bet a Cobalt SS with 1000 dollars of engine work would get it's ass kicked by a Cobalt SS with 1000 dollars of suspension work on the track.

I have done some tweaking on motorcycles in the past and the spring rates and compression and rebound damping rates are VERY important on such a light motor vehicle, so a lot of though and money goes into them.

But I haven't seen that type of concern amoung the car tuners, at least yet. But I also find most people are more concerned with strait line performance than handling. Except Motortrend

Also if your lowering your car with just springs your losing suspension travel. That affects handling and the struts/shocks negatively. I am not 100% sure of the geometry of the Cobalt suspesion but on a bike if you remove even 0.5 inches of spring travel it could result in inches of lost travel at the wheel. Thats why I don't understand the hole lowering thing, your making the car worse, unless you replace a lot more than springs
Old 04-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Zinner, I'm getting the Koni lowering suspension, will post the specs when I get them. I would like everyone that is doing suspension work for the first time.... ALWAYS get the best matched suspension equipment you can afford. Always get new struts/shock with and new springs, make sure the spring rates and loading weights match, otherwise you will wear one out before the other. I agree with you Zinner on people looking a straight line performace rather that actual driving performance. Myself I like a very good handling car thru the corners. One thing that most dragster people know is to have a good suspension for the start down the 1/4. It's all about putting the HP to the pavement, the better the stick to the road the more time on the gas
Old 04-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Is that the $1200 package?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:34 PM

anyone tried to Eibach's? thats what i would get
but where can we get good lowering struts?
Old 04-10-2005, 04:59 PM

tiny

The stuts are comming, Koni