Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Beware of James Rakes Tunes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by nhanson
Picture proof my rod is bent.
supercharged motor on a 2.8 M62 stock head, cooling mods? stock? and an auto trans; you would be hardpressed to put down 270-280 whp. I believe thats not too much power for your 2.2. I have seen ZZP turbo 2.2/2.4 put down 300 + on stock internals no problem.

If the bottom of your motor was untouched from the factory, and no one has "rebuilt the motor" then perhaps runaway detonation hurt your rod. If it was rebuilt after the factory, then its impossible to say what the build quality was. Please post pictures of pistons. Post logs of the tune. Or maybe your would prefer to stay on facebook? If you want to really learn about your stuff, dialogue here can sure help you.

Saying you have too much power without any data is kinda sad.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is now beating a dead horse.. A lot of interesting tuning lingo and information until uneducated kids want to run their mouth and make it a personal thing with Rake.

Good lord.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
supercharged motor on a 2.8 M62 stock head, cooling mods? stock? and an auto trans; you would be hardpressed to put down 270-280 whp. I believe thats not too much power for your 2.2. I have seen ZZP turbo 2.2/2.4 put down 300 + on stock internals no problem.

If the bottom of your motor was untouched from the factory, and no one has "rebuilt the motor" then perhaps runaway detonation hurt your rod. If it was rebuilt after the factory, then its impossible to say what the build quality was. Please post pictures of pistons. Post logs of the tune. Or maybe your would prefer to stay on facebook? If you want to really learn about your stuff, dialogue here can sure help you.

Saying you have too much power without any data is kinda sad.
I can post everything...just lazy at the moment.

ill get some pics
Old 06-14-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picture proof my rod is bent.
I am not saying that you do not have a bent rod. What I am saying is that the power level of a typical street driven car, properly maintained and tuned, cannot produce enough "power" to bend a rod.

Can too much cylinder pressure bend a rod? Sure.

BTW, I do have a M62 on my 2007 LE5 2.4 and see none of these issues.

Tuned by me of course.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by dtabbs
I am not saying that you do not have a bent rod. What I am saying is that the power level of a typical street driven car, properly maintained and tuned, cannot produce enough "power" to bend a rod.

Can too much cylinder pressure bend a rod? Sure.

BTW, I do have a M62 on my 2007 LE5 2.4 and see none of these issues.

Tuned by me of course.
Im glad you said that...you should know 2.4 and 2.2 differ in rod strength.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 09CobaltSS1
Strangely enough the wg tables look a little more reasonable than the one you had posted, but it's still junk. Can anyone say throttle/boost light switch? lol Also tip in timing is far too high, MALs are just silly, Pressure RPM Factor is exactly stock which is commanding 20psi up to out of a 25psi tune, and there is clearly going to be a large boost spike down low. Even with the wgdc being set at 75% in the 3k-4k areas and tapers up, I have seen as high as 27psi come from a 6758 depending on how the wg rod is adjusted. I'm sure you have as well. Now imagine what it can do with no other boost protection/limits in place. Yikes....

Holy mother of light switch that car goes from 20% throttle and 5 inches of vacuum straight to 100% throttle and max boost without even moving the pedal. Too much wg dc in the lower desired boost areas and with a max airload without a smooth ramp up yes it is likely to have a spike then drop off to 20 psi up top as indicated by the 2.4 limit in the pressure factor vs rpm table.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM

The pictures i have. All pistons looked the same.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
piston skirts and ring lands?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Vander Nars
Iv stayed outta this up to this point because i know nothing I say will stop these bandwagoner sheeps from speading misinfo but id like to point out something the topics talking about byt and his shitty tunes was quickly locked because of how people where bashing him yet the mods allow this to keep going? Either way ill not be responding to anyone that comments back at me.
Funny how the guy with a ticking time bomb under his hood is still backing the guy who gave him the bomb to begin with even being SHOWN proof that said person has not only done it before and wants to claim other people have misinformation? I really wish you could see just how freaking special you are! When someone blows up cars and get's paid for it then yes it's best to make it known so that hopefully NO MORE CARS BLOW UP DUE TO A BAD TUNE. I wish you could see this but you can as you have decided to block something called knowledge! It really helps out there in the real world!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
You guys realize you are just feeding into exactly what nhanson's goal is here. Entertaining his attempts will just make it that much worse.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM

piston skirts and ring lands?
Perfect.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
Keep personal jabs to yourselfs. If person a sides one way, and person b sides on the other be respectful.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 839 Likes on 736 Posts
Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Keep personal jabs to yourselfs. If person a sides one way, and person b sides on the other be respectful.
Thank you, this thread was staying on track with info and no personal jabs (a few side comments tho that didn't help)
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Look, nick, I like you, but all you're doing is relaying what the masses on the RPT page are telling you. Simply trying to stir the pot. Just stop.
I've seen the post of him calling me out by name multiple times in a page where I can't post to defend myself (exactly what you, vander, and bogus Honda have been crying about), so please, stfu and let the information unfold.

Last edited by armcclure; 06-14-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-15-2013, 12:08 AM

Its not the masses...its James himself explaining and showing.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Former Vendor

I'm really glad this thread came about, and not because I am a trifecta dealer. I've had several customers leave TF, claim their rakes tune was so much better, so fast, then blow a turbo or blow a motor and come back to TF. I've never posted about it because I never wanted to start anything, but I'm really really glad this is coming to light.

For the record, I've never had anyone come to TF from Term2 or really anyone else that is on here. Had a few that said they went to some random shop to get a tune and it ran like crap and they want to switch to TF, but never anyone from a reputable HPT LNF tuner.

The main reasons people would leave TF would be crap like "I want 25PSI and you can't do it, but James said he can". God I hate when people come in wanting a specific amount of boost, and usually way over what the car is safe at.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Strangely enough the wg tables look a little more reasonable than the one you had posted, but it's still junk. Can anyone say throttle/boost light switch? lol Also tip in timing is far too high, MALs are just silly, Pressure RPM Factor is exactly stock which is commanding 20psi up to out of a 25psi tune, and there is clearly going to be a large boost spike down low. Even with the wgdc being set at 75% in the 3k-4k areas and tapers up, I have seen as high as 27psi come from a 6758 depending on how the wg rod is adjusted. I'm sure you have as well. Now imagine what it can do with no other boost protection/limits in place. Yikes....

Looks like my file I sent you last year... You have to mention at least this is not the finalized file. This is like the third or fourth revision for my ZFR when I had wastegate issues. We talked about it before and it did need more tuning.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well the things Ive seen say otherwise. Im not posting because its not my stuff to post.

There is no argument because of the fact he cant explain his own tunes or what you guys are posting.

If was able to come on here and defend these things it would be a different story.

Oh and nice band wagon guys.
its not your stuff to post? maybe you should make accusations then.......just my opinion though. doesnt seem to be stopping you from siding with your tuner even with plenty of proof against him smh.

Originally Posted by 07MetallicSC
Your motor blew after only five days on e85 from your tuner. Care to share file for observation?
ouch^^ sounds like a stellar tuner......

[QUOTE=09CobaltSS1;7071915]If you have nothing to back your claims up with or anything of substance to show/say to defend your point with then you're clearly simply just making a silly attempt to blindly deflect a proven point here.

this^^

please post dyno sheet to show "too much power" thank you.
im interested in numbers too.....since he knows it has "too much power"

Never dynoed.

Mods: 2.8 pulley, ported M62, full exhaust, and 24* of timing on E85.
of course....

The things Ive seen were on his FB page with explanations.

Join up so you can see for yourself.
post em

Originally Posted by Wert842
I've seen unicorns, fairies, and mermaids on fb. Does that mean that they are real too?

Sent from my iPhone using CobaltSS
ive seen dragons! wow, i thought i was the only one who saw fairytale objects!

You guys realize you are just feeding into exactly what nhanson's goal is here. Entertaining his attempts will just make it that much worse.
100% true....

i sure did miss a lot in just one nights sleep lol.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 AM

nhanson seems like he's lying. It's not that difficult to post a screen shot of said claims. It'll do wonders to his credibility, but as of now..

Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 AM

yea i agree^^ no proof but lots of accuastions.......at least everyone else on here has been showing proof.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Residental Bish.

I never expected this thread to go this far. I really expected it to get locked and everyone would go on about their business.

To see how many people have had issues with a James tune and not said anything is pretty crazy.

Must suck to know you built your reputation because people are afraid to speak out, due to his group that goes on the attack every time his name is mentioned.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fastgti69
Looks like my file I sent you last year... You have to mention at least this is not the finalized file. This is like the third or fourth revision for my ZFR when I had wastegate issues. We talked about it before and it did need more tuning.
I was trying to not name any names here, but yes this is your tune. You're right, this isn't a final tune but it is however the 8th revision he had you on so I wouldn't really consider it anywhere near a base map either. This is also one of the 2 tune files I made screen shots of showing examples of all the dtc's he disables. I do recall you having issues with the turbo (which I had advised you to adjust the preload on the wg) and asking if I'd also be willing to fix the tune for you because James wasn't responding to your attempts to contact him. I usually have no issues with helping people (and I certainly have no issue at all with helping you out, otherwise I wouldn't have given you my number when you reached out to me) but James was/is your tuner and I had no interest in getting involved with the tuning aspect of things and dealing with his bs firestorm for doing so.

As far as it not being a finalized tune, the odd thing is just how similar the tune actually is to quite a few of his other zfr tunes that were deemed "finalized" by him.

Please don't take this as me coming at you btw, because I'm not nor do I have an issue with you in the least. Otherwise I would have posted your name all over this tune file. I'm just saying it how it is and presenting what I have.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Baltbitch
I never expected this thread to go this far. I really expected it to get locked and everyone would go on about their business.

To see how many people have had issues with a James tune and not said anything is pretty crazy.

Must suck to know you built your reputation because people are afraid to speak out, due to his group that goes on the attack every time his name is mentioned.
This right here. I cannot believe how many are scared to say anything if they are having issues.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Baltbitch

keyboard warriors!

Originally Posted by Terminator2
This right here. I cannot believe how many are scared to say anything if they are having issues.
i have no idea why people would be scared to say something about it.......i mean come on, why keep your mouth shut while other people are getting screwed by the same person that screwed them!? O.o i would have put his ass on blast for sure, esp if i lost an engine -___-
Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM

The things Ive seen were on his FB page with explanations.

Join up so you can see for yourself.
What I find amusing about this is, the fact than ANY "reputable" person/company, WHATEVER, would have CLOSED Group for promoting their services. That should speak for itself....

Quick Reply: Beware of James Rakes Tunes...