Tuning For tuning and related discussions

cool trick with fans in HPT

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool trick with fans in HPT

today i was messing around with HPT and the fan control to see if i could get the car to run cooler then 185 so i start playing with the settings just to see what happens....and i ran across a cool setting.

i run the fans 100% in the summer so i only know this works with the fans set to 100% like this...

so i started playin with the "output control VS current state" tab.....
you'll notice that fan 2 doesn't turn on until the car has heated up more....

so i made fan 1 and fan 2 match...

then i made them all "1" which in this case means there always on, regardless of the ECM "Output control"....like this....

this had a good effect.....the fans turned on rite after the re-flash was done....thought it was both good and bad cuz now i thought they were going to run 24/7 so i was changing the output control back to having fan 1 and 2 match when they shut off.....

so i started the car drove a bit then came into a parking lot and shut it off....the fans run with they key out of the ignition and even with the doors locked for about 30-40secs then they shut off....its a very cool trick to keep the car from heating up when you shut it off on a hot day.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what your fan setting should be is the fan should be on until your car reaches a certain temp like on my old car when i shut the car off it would stay on until the coolant was cool enough
Old 03-28-2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC
what your fan setting should be is the fan should be on until your car reaches a certain temp like on my old car when i shut the car off it would stay on until the coolant was cool enough
well as of rite now theres now way to accomplish that, or else i would have.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:02 AM

It is possible to cool your engine too much, its also a waste of energy and in turn gas millage. The stock setting has be tested time and time again, so why mess with something proven? Especially since it is such a radical change.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:10 AM

Yeah that may be over doing it. I have my fan kick in at 196 at 100%.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by 06black
so i started the car drove a bit then came into a parking lot and shut it off....the fans run with they key out of the ignition and even with the doors locked for about 30-40secs then they shut off....its a very cool trick to keep the car from heating up when you shut it off on a hot day.
mine did this too when it was stock, the fans runs a lil bit after the engine shuts off
Old 03-28-2007, 02:19 AM
syP

nice isnt it?

in the grand prix community, we have them run for 180 seconds after shutdown... very good for the staging lanes
Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
running them all the time will probably cause them to fail prematurely.

I don't see any reason to run them when the car is moving and the natural air flow is cooling the car.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM
Doc

Originally Posted by zinner

I don't see any reason to run them when the car is moving and the natural air flow is cooling the car.
there is another reason for not doing it....it was brought up before and I cannot remember why right now..??
Old 03-28-2007, 08:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc
there is another reason for not doing it....it was brought up before and I cannot remember why right now..??
i would think , that above a certain speed, the motor would actually be getting in the way more than helping.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard
i would think , that above a certain speed, the motor would actually be getting in the way more than helping.
from what i've been able to tell as well as ENUFPWR we dont feel any type of drag at highway speeds.

if you come off the highway fast enough and come to a quick stop you can hear them turn back on, so i beleve they turn off above a specific speed.

Originally Posted by smartmlp
It is possible to cool your engine too much, its also a waste of energy and in turn gas millage. The stock setting has be tested time and time again, so why mess with something proven? Especially since it is such a radical change.
i could see "over cooling" an engine however it would require much more moving air over the engine block and radiator then our stock duel fans can move.

the stock system have been tested to stop the engine from over heating, not keep it in its optimal heat range....the 180-195is range.

as for MPG thats the LAST thing i worry about....getting the best possible performance out of my car is what i'm after.

Originally Posted by zinner

from what i can tell the fans turn off at highway speeds....i've came to a fast stop on off ramps and such and i can seem to hear them turn back on as the car slows down to the 70ish mph.

and as for the "running them to often might kill them" idea....if they die out on me, i'll let ya'll know...its nothing special tho...12V DC "brushed" electric motor...they've proven them selves to last a long time on many cars!

and to address the "over cooling" thought....yes the LSJ was designed to run in the 180-190 range....a bit cooler then most engines if you think about it tho...normal is in the 210 range

so be useing our stock 180 t-stat and the fans i can keep it under the 190 range...normally the car with this fan set up runs 181-187 and thats rite were i want it....plus with the fans on there constantly pulling air over the duel HE's so it helps with AIT 2 temps.

Last edited by 06black; 03-28-2007 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2007, 01:47 PM

The enigine needs to warm up to its optimal operating temp and I'd be too afraid this would prolong the warm up time. Its true that a cool engine makes more power but a cold engine run hard can cause damage!

Be very careful with this.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jackalope
The enigine needs to warm up to its optimal operating temp and I'd be too afraid this would prolong the warm up time. Its true that a cool engine makes more power but a cold engine run hard can cause damage!

Be very careful with this.
you have to under stand that this does not make it "run cold" it simply keeps it in the heat range with better control.....the engine runs 181-187 maybe 190 on a real hot day....

now take a stock car and run it in stop and go traffic(much like i'm in all day) and watch it go up and into the 200's then both the fans kick on 100% and it comes back down in to that 185-190 range.....

i simply want it to run in that range all the time.....
Old 03-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't run the fans 100%

I have my fans set to come on at 190 degrees. I never even see 200. That's all you need.

Or just set them to come on at 170 or 180.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 PM

HPtuners won't let you do 170 or 180. The lowest temp you can change through hptuners is 192 i belive and that will basically run your fans all the time, as soon as you start the car up. The next one is 196, which is where I have it kick in.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:12 PM

i had a cavalier that came into my work with a bad cooling fan relay causing it to run even with car off so i fixed his problem and took the relay for my own use before a run down the track. and took it apart to make sure the contacts kept the fans on but, its only for one fan. i thinks its an alright idea, considering i can afford hptuners yet.