Tuning For tuning and related discussions

Starting out base tune with GMS1 differences using HP Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting out base tune with GMS1 differences using HP Tuner?

So my SS is still bone stock. If I am lucky, I should be picking up a K&N intake and Hahn Catless DP before the week is up.

I own an HP tuner interface from my last car. I haven't had the chance yet to interface with my SS and start tuning it. However I been reading up on the GMS1 tune and wanted to ask if what I say below would work to start me out as a base tune? I plan to fine tune the car once I get those two mods installed of course. It's just right now I really don't have too much time to try to fine tune a stock bin to perfection. This is why flashing over a GMS1 differences to get me started interests me.

Being my car is stock and I have found a GMS1 bin file, can I just copy over the differences from that GMS1 bin over to my stock bin minus the tables adjusting for the 3bar map and be good to go? The reason I wouldn't touch anything with the map sensor settings is because I won't be installing the 3 bar map that you normally install with a GMS1 upgrade. However it seems the 3 bar isn't actually necessary unless I plan to push over 23.5PSI? From what I read a GMS1 bin puts you around 20PSI?

I know i will see better results with a fine tune, but I really like to just see how the car changes from a stock tune to a GMS1 tune before installing any mods. Really I am doing this to give me a better "base" tune to start from then a bone stock bin.

So do you guys think this would be alright? I certainly don't plan to take the GMS1 bin and flash it over my stock bin. Being I hear when you do this, it then has more tables you can't technically access with HP tuners.

So let me repeat. I am going to use HP tuners software to compare my stock bin to a GMS1 bin and copy over all the differences minus the tables dealing with a 3 bar map being I am using the stock 2.5. Then flash my modded stock bin back into my Cobalt and run that until I fine tune it once the Intake/Catless DP are installed.

Now I think I was going to start with the GMS1 tune. Then after I see how the car reacts to that, and if I haven't gotten those two mods yet I may try the differences that BackyardTurbo_FTW did in the LNF tuning guide on HP Tuners. I found a bin file in the repository that he says is safe for stock LNF cars. His tables seem more aggressive over what I compared to the GMS1 bin I got. What you guys think about this?

Here is his post
The LNF Tuning Guide - HP Tuners Bulletin Board
Old 04-02-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GMS1 file has more turbo nannies than the stock file does in tables we cannot access via HPT.

The best bet is to start with a safe tune like BYT has over in the HPT forums and build from there.

Some tuners say you don't need the 3 bar MAPs, but if you boost more than 22 psi you will not be 'in control' in engineering terms, you can boost higher but the ECU goes open loop on the control of boost as it is out of sensor range.

Best bet is to get the 3 bar sensors & pigtails, plug in the sensor data from the 3 bar GMs1 tune expanded all the way out to 6 or 8 decimal places ( I forget) into your non GMS1 file and go from there. You can start with the GMS1 DAL tables, ect if you wish but forget about writing entire the GMS1 file.

BYT's canned tune on HPT is a good place to start. Limit your boost to 24 psi on the stock turbo, any more can result in piston ring land failure over time. Detonation is the enemy.

Good info over on HPT forums, Cobaltssoverbooster has put together some stickies of a lot of good info over the years. He has a lot of current knowledge on the LNF's. I haven't tuned one in a year or so.

Edit: Here's the guide thread I was referring to in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38357

Last edited by Iam Broke; 04-02-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM

you can go with a TFT /hpt combo and built from there and get the select a tune
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Layer tune is not needed anymore. Hpt has all the tables we need unless you want the Trifecta selectatune.

Last edited by Iam Broke; 04-02-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:02 PM

My friend and I are tempted to grab the BYT file from HPT and try to self tune his car. I by no means am a tuner but I have done a LOT of reading and would tune it more conservative at first until I got the hang of it.

How safe is that 22 PSI tune?